PDA

View Full Version : Pulled a dummy this morning!!

rockrat
01-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Was casting some 338-200 in a Ranch dog mould. Still a little cool as the last hole near the handles had the base rounded.
Opened the mould to drop the defective boolit on a rag on the table in front of me.
It kind of dropped too soon.
Felt it hit my ankle but thought "didn't hear it hit the floor"
About that time my ankle was getting warm!!
Raised my foot and looked and the hot boolit got wedged in the top of my shoe, next to my ankle!!!
The boolit happened to fall in the 2 square inch area not covered by my jeans.

Sucker was getting HOT. Good thing I put on extra thick socks this morning.

Didn't think and reached down and flicked it out with my finger. Finger, meet hot boolit.

Not too blistered.

Dedided to cull the rounded bases after cooling.[smilie=b:

Guess it was a good thing I wasn't casting my 850gr 50 cals.!!!

Tom W.
01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd bet that cleared out your sinuses!

gnoahhh
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Anybody who hasn't blistered himself in some way while casting hasn't been doing it very long!:-)

Jim
01-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I have a designated pair of bib overalls and slip on boots for my casting. That suit stays stowed under my casting station and I put it on right after I fire up the pot. I could spill(and have!) a ladle full of lead on my overalls or boots and I would come to no harm.

MT Gianni
01-12-2011, 07:07 PM
In all cases pants or overalls should cover the shoe tops. It will leave a blister.

leftiye
01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Kinda like getting those droplets of red hot steel down in yer shoes whilst welding??? Oh yeah!!

S.R.Custom
01-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Here's another tip for ya--

Whether it's casting, welding, or shooting that 10mm Auto that pitches the brass straight back, always button the top button of your shirt before beginning.
[smilie=1:

DIRT Farmer
01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
While I was I collage, A well endowed young lady with a low cut top cought a 22 case from one of the High Standards we shot. We guys ask that she wear a more conservitive top after that dance. I couldent keep my eyes off the muzzle to notice the more interesting part.
Moral, when working with hot stuff, cover what you don't want scorched. Hot metal will find the most tender exposed area.

geargnasher
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Kinda like getting those droplets of red hot steel down in yer shoes whilst welding??? Oh yeah!!

+1!!!!!

Gear

Southern Son
01-13-2011, 06:35 AM
That is why I cast and weld naked, that way there is no clothing for the hot stuff to get caught in.:kidding:

runfiverun
01-14-2011, 01:42 AM
i at least wear socks...

lwknight
01-14-2011, 04:52 AM
I tried cooking bacon whilst naked one time.

firefly1957
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
I hope people are kidding here but now a days you never know? I have seen those low cut tops catch many items in the past hot, cold, intentional, and accidental. Now it would probably end up with a complaint of harassment. I have also seen a shirt collar catch a .223 Rem and was surprised at the blister that left.
I often get minor burns when casting but it is usually my fault as I take gloves off when adjusting something.

NoDakJak
01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Avoid wearing moccasin toe shoes or boots. They catch and puddle molten. Voice of experience!
Iffen yew wanna cast nekkid I suggest doing doing it during the winter. Ya don't draw flies that way!
Neil

firefly1957
01-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Thinking about this a bit I could imagine nude bullet casting would lead to some interesting emergency room conversations/explanations.

Might even cause confusion over filling out simple forms, Male or female ?

No I am unique not Eunic ! (Like on the medical insurance papers)

Might also cause wrinkles in more than just your bullets.:holysheep

river-rider
01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
I wear a full face shield,leather welders apron,welling gloves,welding sleeves.
Wear boots,jeans and I have not been burned lately. I am 71, too old to get burned. 40 years ago I dropped a hollow base 38 that had water in it in the pot. Had lead on the ceiling. Had a lot more respect for hot lead after that.

C1PNR
01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Um, does anyone else happen to remember the "outfit" Al accused Buckshot of wearing?

I think a Campaign hat, jock strap, and flip flops, or something like that. :bigsmyl2:

But I guess it WAS summer in California.

home in oz
01-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Before you do anything you need to think it through with safety in mind.

stubshaft
01-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Close but I don't think that it qualifies as a visit from the Tinsel Fairy.

leadman
01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I remember basic traininng at Ft. Knox. I'm a lefty, was firing a GM hydramatic division M-16. No deflector or forward assist. 100' outside and I was buttoned clear to the top. didn't help the face though.
Not very good scores when firing looking the other way!

BOOM BOOM
01-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Ouch!