PDA

View Full Version : Great Idea for Patching

x101airborne
01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I had something work out for me by accident today. My father was a butcher and told me the way to properly seal a new cutting board with boiled linseed oil. Sand the board with 400 grit paper until smooth, wash, bake in the oven at 200 for an hour, coat with linseed oil while hot, bake for another hour, repeat.

Well, after doing this the other day, I needed something to cut and roll my 44 slugs up to 450 on and used this board. It worked GREAT! Just enough tack to keep the paper tight and not let it slip, yet not sticky as to contaminate the paper. I tried it with wet and dry patches and it worked equally well on both.

Gunlaker
01-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I had something work out for me by accident today. My father was a butcher and told me the way to properly seal a new cutting board with boiled linseed oil. Sand the board with 400 grit paper until smooth, wash, bake in the oven at 200 for an hour, coat with linseed oil while hot, bake for another hour, repeat.

Well, after doing this the other day, I needed something to cut and roll my 44 slugs up to 450 on and used this board. It worked GREAT! Just enough tack to keep the paper tight and not let it slip, yet not sticky as to contaminate the paper. I tried it with wet and dry patches and it worked equally well on both.

I use a piece of butcher block sealed with spray on varnish. It has a line drawn on it (under the varnish) so I can line up the patch nicely with the bullet. Loosely based upon what I read in "The Paper Jacket".

Chris.

nanuk
01-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I was a butcher in a past life.

our block was about 4ft x 3ft and 3.5ft high.

we brushed with a heavy flat wire brush at the end of every day. Our blocks were maple endgrain.

I think I removed about 1.5 inches per year.

we never sealed them.

Now, cutting boards, I seal with mineral oil.

but I can see how BLSO would work well. and remain a nice tacky finish, perfect for rolling paper.

great idea and suggestion there.

and for lines under the finish, perhaps a score with a utility knife so the ink has less tendency to run with the oil. And you could always add more lines through the finish, and reheat and reapply

Kenny Wasserburger
01-12-2011, 11:21 PM
All blocks I have ever used for cutting meat were oiled with Veg oil, I would never use Linseed oil on somthing that would taint the Meat?

KW
The Lunger

For Patching bullets I use a Rubber Block that I sell.

It works pretty darn good.

Dan Cash
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I believe that there is a certain toxcisity to Linseed oil. Is it a health concern? Don't know but would do a bit of research.

nanuk
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
All blocks I have ever used for cutting meat were oiled with Veg oil, I would never use Linseed oil on somthing that would taint the Meat?

Mr Wasserburger, I don't think anyone would use a cutting board for meat, or any food after rolling lead on it, regardless of what it was sealed with

I believe that there is a certain toxcisity to Linseed oil. Is it a health concern? Don't know but would do a bit of research.

Dan, I don't think LSO is toxic, as it is made from flax.

Now I am gonna have to do some research tonight :killingpc

x101airborne
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
I am not debating wether or not BLO is toxic or not. It has worked for eons before me, and if the next generation has any sense, it will work for them also. I will never use a lead process material for food, and cant imagine anyone that would. I am specifically referring to something useful to use for patching. After sealing the cutting boards, The next step is to scrub them with a steel pad. This removes the excess BLO and leaves a smooth waterproof surface. And I do not see how BLO could be toxic, many of the old timers used the hardware store formula as a laxitive for years.