PDA

View Full Version : New 375 Ruger Cartridge?

Bass Ackward
11-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Rumors have been around this for awhile. Seems that Hornady has developed a new cartridge that Ruger is going to build into rifles. Anybody seen anything on this? Too big a case design to be a good cast bullet system?

All I could find was the blurb on the Ruger site under news announcements.

No_1
11-01-2006, 11:05 AM
What case is it based on?

Robert

Rumors have been around this for awhile. Seems that Hornady has developed a new cartridge that Ruger is going to build into rifles. Anybody seen anything on this? Too big a case design to be a good cast bullet system?

All I could find was the blurb on the Ruger site under news announcements.

Bass Ackward
11-01-2006, 12:23 PM
What case is it based on?

Robert

Robert,

Ok. I give up. What case IS IT based on?

I guess that is what I have been trying to find out. I always liked the 375 bore, but commercially available case designs have been really limited between lever stuff and necked down coke bottles.

I was hoping that the short action Mags would be necked up. That would result in a longer neck case and about 12 more grains of case capacity over a Whelen. My guess is that should be just about right for wide open running in the 375 bore with cast.

475/480
11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I just found that it is a 338 Win necked up to 375

Sean

No_1
11-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Bass,
Maybe you mis-understood my tone? I figured you omitted it by accident on your post. I am just as curious as the next. I figured it has/had to be one of the WSSM kind of cases (unless that has already been done) which would be very cool. I like the odd caliber stuff myself. Always liked the idea of rounds based on 338, 8mm or 375 projectiles in short cases.

Robert

Robert,

Ok. I give up. What case IS IT based on?

I guess that is what I have been trying to find out. I always liked the 375 bore, but commercially available case designs have been really limited between lever stuff and necked down coke bottles.

I was hoping that the short action Mags would be necked up. That would result in a longer neck case and about 12 more grains of case capacity over a Whelen. My guess is that should be just about right for wide open running in the 375 bore with cast.

Bass Ackward
11-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Robert,

Naaaa. Just funnin cause that was what I wanted to know.

Thanks Sean.

Hmmmmm. 80 grains instead of 72. Does that qualify as overbore? I don't think so.

And knowing Hornady, they will do something to the case to make it propritary like widen the belt or shorten the boiler room so that you can't use somebody elses brass or chamber a 300/338/358 by mistake. So it may lose some more case capacity anyway.

Might be interesting to see.

Nrut
11-01-2006, 07:15 PM
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/157102625/p/3

Here are some answers bass......to much jam for this jamtart!

Four Fingers of Death
11-01-2006, 07:19 PM
There is a pair of gunsmiths near where I live that have bought out a line of big bores based on the WSM cases. They started with 375, 404, 458 I think, but have changed the 404 to 416 probably due to the better availability of bullets in the 416 cal.

I will be home over the weekend and will look up the article which was in a recent gunmag.
Mick.

NVcurmudgeon
11-01-2006, 08:40 PM
I just found that it is a 338 Win necked up to 375

Sean

"There is nothing new under the sun." Mike Epstein, first baseman of the Oakland Athletics, invented just such a wildcat around 1973. His rationale was that he was left-handed, liked Savage 110s, and the only to a .375 in that action was a shorter case.

Bass Ackward
11-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys. It seems that the short action cartridge craze stuff slowed with the death of Winchester. And marketing being what it is, it's hard to out pop bottlitize (new word) Weatherby.

So I will just have to live with the 35 bore. That is a miserable existance. ;)

9.3X62AL
11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Not sure about this, it seems like a beltless 338 Win Mag necked up to .375". Its claimed velocity tracks closely to the 375 H&H. If that performance can be had--and duplicated--with canister-grade propellants, I think it has the potential be a winner. The company's 204 Ruger suffered early-on from an inability to match factory ballistics with canister-grade powders--a death-knell for a varmint chambering.

The 338 Win Mag is a fine caliber for sure, I'm a little surprised that commercial/mass-market 35 and 375 renditions on this case haven't multiplied like the smaller-caliber versions have. The Ruger caliber is ballistically a far more sensible development than the fleet of WSSM's and RAUM's that have littered the landscape recently. I agree that Ruger needs to put these up in the usual 77R or 77RS variants, and NOT cater to the Range Rover Regiment with over-priced premium versions. The company did a disservice to the 35 Whelen by only offering it in stainless metal/black plastic stock motif--let's hope they do better this time around.

Hackleback
11-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Kinda sounds like the 375 Taylor. Hey, lets reinvent the wheel!!

Just my 2 cents

Denver
11-02-2006, 02:56 PM
The 375 Denver Express. I have thought many times that the 350 Rem Mag necked up to 375 cal would be a great cartridge. Now that the short, fat, beltless cartridges are out, better yet. Should be a superb CB round.

:castmine:

felix
11-02-2006, 04:13 PM
The 350 mag case is a spittin' image of the 06 case in terms of capacity. So, there are several folks on the board who have done this case already in 375, I think. ... felix