PDA

View Full Version : I need "want" a 1911?

autofix4u
01-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I have a couple of rifles to sell and plan to but a new handgun with the loot.
I have always wanted a 1911 and never had one (never even shot one). I have a Star Modelo Super in largo thats NOT a 1911 but i'm told they shoot a lot alike.
I am looking at the Rock Island Gi models and like what I see. Is there anything not to like?
My next stupid question is .45 or 38 super? I have moulds, dies and brass for the super and none for .45...
I load my 9mm largo to 38 super levels with no issues and sometimes use 38 super brass.
So tell me the good, the bad & the ugly. Thanks, Josh.

BackWoods Billy
01-11-2011, 10:10 PM
If you get a .45 I would go with at least a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911.You can fix it up and make a real shooter.You will love it.
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4527/4boolit.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/i/4boolit.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

mike in co
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
we have had these discussions multiple times on this forum....do some searching and reading.

most of the metal guns are imports/import frames.

most of the entry level guns( sub $600) have a 50/50 happy /unhappy customer feed back.

having said all that para usa...makes the gi expert...basic 1911 with modern machine work ( made in usa), three dot sights...all for msrp of $599...and sold for a lot less.

ohh and 45acp PERIOD

mike in co

7br
01-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I am looking at the Rock Island Gi models and like what I see. Is there anything not to like?

Give me a couple of weeks and I will let you know on the Rock Island. I picked up a used one for 315 + 35 delivery + 10 transfer. I will probably replace sights which will add about $100 once I get them installed. Now we are looking at 460. Might not have been the biggest bargain in the long run, but I could afford it now.

NSP64
01-12-2011, 01:34 AM
I picked up a RIA delux model in .45acp for 5 and some change. It has the dovetailed front sight polished ramp and barrel, high grip beavertail safety with memery bump, ambidex safety, beveled mag well, novac style sights, full length guide rod and prolly some other stuff I dont remember.

oh and it shoots great.

Dale53
01-12-2011, 01:56 AM
.45 ACP is one of the easiest rounds to load there is. In a good .45 ACP, they will shoot under 2" at 50 yards with cast bullets as well as jacketed.

In one five year period, I kept count - I shot 75,000 rounds of .45 ACP along with a good bit of .38 Specials/.357 magnums, .44 Special/Magnums. They are all relatively easy to reload but the .45 was easiest of all.

I have two built up 1911's and one Kimber CDP Ultra II. If I were to start all over, I would just simply buy a new Kimber in the flavor I preferred. They are not the cheapest out there but are far from the most expensive and they DO know how to build them to not only look good but they SHOOT!

Dale53

targetshootr
01-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I have a shooter grade Clackamus Kimber I'll sell ya.

docone31
01-12-2011, 11:16 AM
If you want a nice looking, firing 1911, right out of the box, I highly reccomend the Taurus PT1911. I got one for my wife and it is her favourite. She shoots it and shoots it a lot!
I can load any ammo for it. Cast, jacketed, semi-wadcutter, both jacketed and cast.
Picks up great.
What I did not like on it, was it was complete right out of the box.
I like to tinker.
That is the only down side I can see. The finish is great also.

Char-Gar
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
The 1911 pistol is never a mistake. My favorite economy 1911 is the Norinco 1911A1, but it is no longer imported. Of the current crop of economy 1911s the Taurus would be the one I would purchase. I don't own one, but hand handled and shot several. They are ready to run, right out of the box and everybody I know who has owned or shot one had nothing but positive comments.

I did own a Springfield GI, but was not happy with it from the accuracy standpoint. A change to a Colt barrel and bushing remedied that.

clintsfolly
01-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I have a RI gi that i modified with nite sites, ambi safety,beavertail grip safety. this gun has 4000-4500 rds thru it and going strong. Had fun and learned lots but if it was going to do it over i would get a tactical mod and save the money! will never be without one 1911 at this time i have 4(2-45acp 1-9mm 1-22lr) each has it own use and spot in the safe. Clint

Finster101
01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Just my opinion, but a 1911 must be .45 and should be a Colt.

Tom W.
01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I've got a buyer for my old Colt GM and am looking really hard at a new Commander..

captaint
01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I personally believe everyone should have at least 2 1911's, in 45ACP. They are fun, easy and beautiful. Get a good one the first time and get it over with. Then go get the second!! enjoy Mike

trickyasafox
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Mike in Co speaks truth on the GI Expert- they are nice guns. I've only handled them, but they seem very well made.

I have a few budget 1911s, and I honestly have only good things to say about all of them.
I started with a springfield armory mil-spec in stainless, and it was and still is a great shooter.
Then I got an American Classic II, which had the best out of the box trigger of any of my 1911s
Then a Citadel CS (made by RIA) another great gun, though it has a tight chamber.

I also have a colt LW commander, and it is no better made than my other guns. My LW is a bit older, being made in the late 1970s I believe.

boomboy
01-12-2011, 08:50 PM
For what it's worth I have carried a Kimber full size every day for the past 3 years and trust it with my life.

The best place to start is to figure out what you want to do with it, concealed carry, competition, target shooting, whatever, and the decide what you need. I have shot many, many 1911's from full customs to the cheapest of the cheep and I can tell you that you get what you pay for. That being said however, lots of times you can pay too much for big names.
Look for a good fit between slide and frame, and a crisp trigger pull(for me this is what set the Kimbers apart form the rest IMO)

Pick up lots and handle them, shoot as many as you can and find something you can afford and will enjoy shooting.

Oh ya, anything but 45acp in a 1911 an waist of a great gun:kidding:
but really get a 45

Railbuggy
01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
My nickle plated Norinco took a walk a couple months ago.I picked out a replacment last friday.My New Taurus SS PT1911.I payed $680 out the door,but some have it cheaper.

ItZaLLgooD
01-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I have about 2500 rnds through my Taurus 1911 since August. No problems. Lot of gun for the cash.

littlejack
01-13-2011, 03:33 AM
I also have the Taurus PT1911. I bought it about 3-4 years ago, 600.00 dollars out the door. It shoots everything I poke in the clips, and spits out the hulls.
It is very accurate and the fit and finish is nicely done.
Jack

Fishman
01-13-2011, 08:17 AM
I wasted a lot of my adult life on other semiautos, all in 9mm and smaller calibers. Then I picked up a used colt 45 auto. What a fun gun! I have since acquired a Springfield as well. I'd say 45 all the way.

JJC
01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I have two built up 1911's and one Kimber CDP Ultra II. If I were to start all over, I would just simply buy a new Kimber in the flavor I preferred. They are not the cheapest out there but are far from the most expensive and they DO know how to build them to not only look good but they SHOOT!

Dale53[/QUOTE]

Yup save for a Kimber in 45. I have a CDP comander size, no complaints. Make sure to break it in if you plan to carry. Mine took about 750 rounds. They are cut tight.

mike in co
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
ok for those of you thst choose not to read........
he mentioned a rock island gun...that is an entry level gun both in quality and dollars...

so quit talking kimbers and such and stick to entry level guns.......

your replies have little to do with his original question.

i will reinstate my opinion based on my research when i was doing the same quest( an entry level basic gi 1911 in 45acp).....

most guns are import/import parts and have a 50/50 acceptance /failure by the customer.

i agree that the tarus is a ton of gun for the money, but it had the same 50/50 failure as the rest of the guns in this catagory.....with one exception...the para usa gi expert.

same dollars great gun..........

spend your dollars and let us know how it works out...

mike in co

Tom W.
01-13-2011, 02:08 PM
I have a couple of rifles to sell and plan to but a new handgun with the loot.
I have always wanted a 1911 and never had one (never even shot one). I have a Star Modelo Super in largo thats NOT a 1911 but i'm told they shoot a lot alike.
My next stupid question is .45 or 38 super? I have moulds, dies and brass for the super and none for .45...
I load my 9mm largo to 38 super levels with no issues and sometimes use 38 super brass.
So tell me the good, the bad & the ugly. Thanks, Josh.

Depending on what you like, I suppose there are worse choices. There certainly are better ones, but don't want to raise the wrath of some who "know better."

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/OldeFarte/100_0417.jpg

Moonie
01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
I have owned a Kimber and a Springfield in the past. Currently I own a Taurus 1911 and one of my sons owns a RI, they are both great guns and are as reliable and accurate as the Kimber I used to own.

The Springfield was different, it was originally purchased as a GI but had lots of custom work done on it, it was a tack driver until it was stolen, recovered in NYC and destroyed, I was never notified and found out by checking on the status with my local PD.

mike in co
01-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I have owned a Kimber and a Springfield in the past. Currently I own a Taurus 1911 and one of my sons owns a RI, they are both great guns and are as reliable and accurate as the Kimber I used to own.

The Springfield was different, it was originally purchased as a GI but had lots of custom work done on it, it was a tack driver until it was stolen, recovered in NYC and destroyed, I was never notified and found out by checking on the status with my local PD.

i see a law suit in the making....
a gun reported as stolen...destroyed by an gov authority....ask for replacement costs.

i'm not big into law suits, nor lawyers, but when dealing with a government agency it may be worth it.

mike in co

autofix4u
01-13-2011, 05:40 PM
One again I feel I have been given GREAT advice by those who know.. But the main reason I askes about a RI is cost.
I would LOVE to have a Colt, or other high end boolit sliger, But I have a budget of about $500 to work with and I just dont see getting a custom shop gun for that kind of funds.
I had wanter to pick up a 1927 agri, But the price has more than tripled since I last payed attention.
If there is another option in the price range I am Limited to let me know.
And I have decided on 45 by the way..
Thanks and keep it coming, Josh

autofix4u
01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Just thought I would add, I want a "pure" 1911, No fancy safteys, sights, dodads or Tackycool stuff. Just a Gi type 1911

Shooter
01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Colt, anything else is just a copy.:kidding:

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-13-2011, 08:55 PM
My Colt slings lead . . . picked it up for $500 . . . of course if you NEED new, then your not gonna find one . . . I got mine from a local guy, Face to face (FTF)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Colt%201911%20Combat/Colt1.jpg

[smilie=s:

shooterg
01-13-2011, 11:04 PM
The Remington 1911R1 can be had around $600. I found a slightly used one and have shot it only about 900+ rounds, ball/LRN/H&G 68/Lee TL200's, ZERO jams. Haven't cleaned it yet, gonna see how long it goes. I have Colt, AMT, other .45's and find the Remington to be a decent piece. Don't like the 3 dot sights, but some folks love 'em. Trigger will eventually see some work too.

mike in co
01-13-2011, 11:18 PM
i think you could ask a local dealer and see if he would order/sell you a para gi for 500..it is possible and he still make money....

mike in co

KYCaster
01-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Check this out:

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-Spartan-45-ACP-Special-Order-P936.aspx

It's absolutely the best value in the 1911 world right now. You'll not find anything comparable in the price range. Great warranty, great factory support and Shooters Connection sells more STI guns than anybody else in the country.

Jerry

BackWoods Billy
01-14-2011, 03:19 AM
I would go with a used better gun.LOL. They are out there for the price your looking for. Do a little more research on how they "should" be. In good working order. You will be much happier then with a GI. If you get a GI, I could bet you that you will end up putting a lot of money into it, to make it better.

Ziptar
01-14-2011, 08:54 AM
I am partial to the Colt 1927s myself. They are the Argentine contract models. The early models are Colt manufacture later models were made in Argentina on Colt's tooling. They are still a bargain as 1911s go, use standard 1911 parts and are C&R eligable.
www.cruffler.com/JLD.html

They are fairly common and often sell for $500 or less.

mike in co
01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Check this out:

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-Spartan-45-ACP-Special-Order-P936.aspx

It's absolutely the best value in the 1911 world right now. You'll not find anything comparable in the price range. Great warranty, great factory support and Shooters Connection sells more STI guns than anybody else in the country.

Jerry

wrong....the guy said $500 not $628!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike in co
01-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I would go with a used better gun.LOL. They are out there for the price your looking for. Do a little more research on how they "should" be. In good working order. You will be much happier then with a GI. If you get a GI, I could bet you that you will end up putting a lot of money into it, to make it better.

i dont know billy...some of us want a simple gun...not a tricked out race gun .......

i might be unusual( heck we know that)..but i want a basic gun..and got it from para...

mike in co

Markbo
01-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Colt, anything else is just a copy.:kidding:

Colt ain't what they used to be. Ask anyone who has even just handled a USFA single action and compared it to a 2nd or 3rd generation Model P. :-P

Just 'cause it ain't a Colt, don't mean it ain't better.
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/pix/Kimber_Pro_CDP_II_left_side_2_600.jpg

35remington
01-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Markbo, obviously you haven't shot any of Colt's 1911 production for quite awhile.

The pictured Kimber has nothing on a Colt, in quality of finish, workmanship, or anything else.

Time for a reappraisal. Repeating what you've heard about Colt's and applying it to their 1911's is no substitute for the actual trial of their recent production.

mike in co
01-14-2011, 09:08 PM
ok just for the open minded....

colt commercial pistols(probably rifles too) is not owned by COLT............
it was sold off when colt tried to commit suicide in 1989...selling your gun rights away for them to stay in business making m16's......

JOHN BROWNING DESIGNED THE 1911...NOT COLT..THEY WERE JUST A CONTRACTOR......

so at this point a colt pistol is just a name...a name i avoid like the plague......

mike in co

derek45
01-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Colt's up and down inconsistent quality, the past 20 or so years, is the reason Springfield Inc. and Kimber have become so successful at building and selling 1911's.

Buy a Springfield, or SERIES I Kimber and build it up the way you want it.

Or, better yet, just get an STI or Baer.

35remington
01-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Ah.

Opinions derived from ignorance and little recent information. I promise you none of the previous posters have tried any reasonably recent Colt.

Those beliefs based on a complete lack of any information die hardest. To each his own.

Perhaps you should ask Mr. John Taffin about Colt 1911's. You'll have a much, much harder time discrediting him.

derek45
01-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Ford vs. Chevy

Yawn.

Colt has not owned the 1911 market for a very long time.

If you want poorly fitted barrels, crappy looking grip safetys, loose slides, extra series 80 lawyer parts, and a pretty little horse logo, buy a colt.

If you want a 1911 that's fitted right, buy an STI.

I admit, I haven't looked at a Colt recently, as I gave up on there 1911's a long time ago.

Colt is happy building Govt. M4 carbines, there focus, and support of civilian markets, and our shooting sports is spotty at best.

autofix4u
01-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Colt's up and down inconsistent quality, the past 20 or so years, is the reason Springfield Inc. and Kimber have become so successful at building and selling 1911's.

Buy a Springfield, or SERIES I Kimber and build it up the way you want it.

Or, better yet, just get an STI or Baer.

I guess some have missed the point, I dont want a Kimber custom shop or Baer gun. I want a simple no frills 1911. I dont buy for the name, Never owned a pair of Nike or Rebook shoes, I work a Lexus/ BMW & Audi dealer.... and drive a 1985 F250 with 600k. I like SIMPLE and DEPENDABLE...

Mike, I did check out the Para web site.... Thats closer to what I am after. In the morning I am going to the LGS to inquire about pricing..
Dont mean to seem like a " COB " (see the other thread) but KIMBER doesnt make a gun that appeals to me....
Thanks again, Josh

Markbo
01-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Ah.

Opinions derived from ignorance and little recent information. I promise you none of the previous posters have tried any reasonably recent Colt.

Those beliefs based on a complete lack of any information die hardest. To each his own.

Perhaps you should ask Mr. John Taffin about Colt 1911's. You'll have a much, much harder time discrediting him.

My opinion is based on personal experience handling Colts over the last 20 years so you are in no position to promise anything. I wonder if you have ever even shot a Nighthawk, STI Springfield or Kimber. If Colt has gone from an also-ran to making decent models again (after 20 years!), good for them but they are in no way, shape or form THE 1911 company anymore except to those that hang on to the past with bleeding fingers.

And I will ask JT about Colt 1911s and see what he has to say about them as compared to some of the other ones talked about.

OP-very sorry for going OT.

KYCaster
01-15-2011, 01:22 AM
wrong....the guy said $500 not $628!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't say $599 either, which is the MSRP of the Para GI.

That extra thirty bucks for the Spartan gets you features that would cost several hundred dollars to put on the Para. Beaver tail grip safety, full length guide rod, fiber optic front and adjustable rear sights to name a few.

Oh...and one feature you don't get on the STI is that gawd-awful series 80 firing pin block.

No comparison.

Jerry

geargnasher
01-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Sheeeshh.

For what it's worth, I've shot a friend's Ria rattletrap on many occasions and I can shoot it better than any of mine.

However......

My Kimber did the job it was designed to do once, deliver a clipfull on target in a desperate situation, hope it NEVER happens again, but if it does it will be the one I trust. A cheaper, proven 1911 wouldn't have performed any better, but because of the emotional thing I trust my $1,000 Kimber (and my training with it) to protect me and mine. Would tell someone else that, based upon my experiences it the best possible one to get? Of course not. Experiences affect our feelings and distort facts about guns, just take a look at the comments on this thread.

The fact is, almost any El-Cheapo 1911 made today is safe and effective, and can be improved or modified to suit the user cheaply. WHO makes the best El-Cheapo or whether Kimber or Colt is/has been junk is a matter of very colored opinions and unique personal experience.

Gear

Mallard57
01-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Hi,
Go to one of the 1911 forums, I can think of two in particular. These sites are broken down into different brands, lots of info. I was pretty impressed by the amount of people that are truely happy and the great customer service that the Rock Island pistols provide. I don't have one personally and I haven't read the forums lately but there's alot of info. Good Luck (I think your choice of .45 acp for your first is a good one, my second one was a 9mm and I sure like it)
Jeff

mike in co
01-15-2011, 02:55 AM
He didn't say $599 either, which is the MSRP of the Para GI.

That extra thirty bucks for the Spartan gets you features that would cost several hundred dollars to put on the Para. Beaver tail grip safety, full length guide rod, fiber optic front and adjustable rear sights to name a few.

Oh...and one feature you don't get on the STI is that gawd-awful series 80 firing pin block.

No comparison.

Jerry

go read my post...he said 500 and the gi expert can be had on the open market for under 500 ....plain and simple it fits his quest and his price.....willl they sell that $629 name gun for under 500 ???

i talk about what i KNOW....

mike in co

derek45
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I bought a used Kimber classic (series I) for $500

http://eastsidearms.com/files/QuickSiteImages/Kimber_Classic_II_350.jpg

I've seen the Mil-spec Springfields go for less.

Either is a good choice for a good quality forged 1911.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Critical%20Look%20at%20Springfield%20Mil%20Spec_fi les/image004.jpg

autofix4u
01-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Well I went to the local shop this morning and inquired about pricing. He can sell me a Para GI expert for $520 out the door, a Rock Island Gi for $479 out the door, Or a Springfield WWII GI for $555 out the door. The only one he had in stock was the Springfield, But for a small deposit he would order the others.

He did have a Regent? made in turkey NIB for $325 otd. Looked like a quality import. Also had a Llama.... Talk about a Low quality ***. I think I could carve a frame & slide out of cast iron with a dull knife and have less tool marks!

35remington
01-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Guys, the "Colt still sucks" line is tiresome and has been parroted by guys with an agenda for way too long. Things have changed and have been that way for quite some time now.

If you don't want to acknowledge they make some pretty decent 1911's, that's fine, but your arguments smack more of wanting to spread falsehoods rather than representing the company in a true light.

Which is being deliberately malicious and does them a disservice. I'm just pointing out the very obvious here.

At least you've all admitted you haven't tried any Colts for a very long time, which casts your statements about Colts in a very questionable light, as it should.

Do I know more about it than you do? I sure do. I own a number of recent Colts, as do many friends. My comments are based on more relevant factors.

And yes, do check with Taffin. He'll set you straight. If you cannot find his statements, I'll be glad to reference them for you.

ItZaLLgooD
01-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I would personally go with the Para GI for the couple of extra bucks, if that is what your local shop has. I close to getting one when they came out.

mike in co
01-16-2011, 02:22 AM
Guys, the "Colt still sucks" line is tiresome and has been parroted by guys with an agenda for way too long. Things have changed and have been that way for quite some time now.

If you don't want to acknowledge they make some pretty decent 1911's, that's fine, but your arguments smack more of wanting to spread falsehoods rather than representing the company in a true light.

Which is being deliberately malicious and does them a disservice. I'm just pointing out the very obvious here.

At least you've all admitted you haven't tried any Colts for a very long time, which casts your statements about Colts in a very questionable light, as it should.

Do I know more about it than you do? I sure do. I own a number of recent Colts, as do many friends. My comments are based on more relevant factors.

And yes, do check with Taffin. He'll set you straight. If you cannot find his statements, I'll be glad to reference them for you.

just to stay in context of the original question.....
just which colt 5" 1911 style gun can be had for $500 or so new..????

you colt fans brought the over priced krap into this simple 1911 disscussion...now put up or go away quitely....
again what one name brand gun maker tried to sell your constitutionally guarranteed rigths away for the allmighty dollar ????

one word

COLT

now go awy quietly

mike in co

Tom W.
01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Whatcha trying to say there , Mike? That you'd Rather have a Para? That's fine. I'd prefer a Colt Commander XSE. The OP wants an RIA. and Billy Bob wants a Kimber.
Who is it gonna hurt?

Char-Gar
01-16-2011, 12:21 PM
In 2005, I bought a new Colt GM. It is as well made and better fitted than the new one I bought in 1965. I will hang on to it.

The following year, I bought a new Springfield GI. Accuracy was bad. I installed a Colt barrel and groups shrank in half. The next year, I put the factory barrel back in and swapped it for another Norinco 1911A!. It was a good trade for me and I still have the Nork.

Unless a person has tested five examples of every 1911 pistol, they have no standing to say which is best or even better. They are just mongering their personal taste. All they can do legitimately, is to state their experience and let it go at that.

35remington
01-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Granted, a five hundred dollar pistol is what this post is about. Colt doesn't make one. Neither does Kimber or a host of others. Kimber's prices are comparable to Colt's.
Perhaps they are overpriced as well?

I didn't bring Colt into the discussion, but pardon me, as a recent purchaser, for setting the record straight. I had faith enough in their production that I bought three of them over the last 12 years, and none were a mistake.

My apologies for off topic, but the "Colt still sucks" line needed to be refuted by someone who knew what he was talking about, and those here suggesting that is the case do not. This is hardly surprising given that those with this opinion admit they haven't tried one in years.

What's annoying is that given this admitted lack of experience, they still somehow think their opinion of Colt's quality is relevant!

That "quiet" enough for you?

If you want to boycott Colt for other reasons, please do not connect it to their quality of construction when you do not have any reasonably current basis for comparison. To be consistent, you will also boycott Ruger for past political reasons. That personal choice is not about the quality of the product.

Phat Man Mike
01-16-2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/3321/759437451/pop_wm_136766.jpg

just caught the bug myself! and bought this last weekend at the gunshow! it's a RIA C/S with some of the bell's and whistles.:redneck: been trying to work a good recipe for it now! :shock:

Char-Gar
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
There is a syndrome on gun boards that goes..."Mine must be better than others, because it is mine!" Folks have an emotional attachment to their guns that must be defended against anti-gun folks and even pro-gun folks that think their gun is equal to or better than mine. This syndrome reduces otherwise intelligent individuals to babbling, squabbling idiots.

btroj
01-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Well said Chargar.

Dale53
01-16-2011, 06:45 PM
There is a syndrome on gun boards that goes..."Mine must be better than others, because it is mine!" Folks have an emotional attachment to their guns that must be defended against anti-gun folks and even pro-gun folks that think their gun is equal to or better than mine. This syndrome reduces otherwise intelligent individuals to babbling, squabbling idiots.

NO! You think-k-k-k?:bigsmyl2:

Dale53

Mavrick
01-16-2011, 08:34 PM
The comparison with Ford and Chevy doesn't work as they are different designs, while with the 1911s we're talking manufacturing methods, metallurgy, and tolerances.
Colt built quite a gun with the Browning-designed auto, but their tooling wore down, and the company was, from time to time, sold to different investors, with different ideas on how to build/market their product.
Also different technology came into the picture. So many of the foreign suppliers went to CNC machines, then the product was machined well, but the metallurgy came into the picture. Many American companies buy foreign to lower costs from labor, so we have 1911s that have cast, softer metal, or top quality parts. "Caviat emptor" The CNC built technology is so good the Colt went to it. The tolerances have a lot of .000s involved, and there's no getting around that Colt metallurgy is top-line. Is it worth $2400.00??? That's for YOU to decide. I can load a LOT of .45 cast-ball for the $1800 difference between them and my Firestorm (the Philipine-manufactured clone) I only use lead in mine for personal reasons, that have nothing to do with the quality of the firearm. I bought it to use in local Steel competition. It DOES have some of the do-dads, but it's as it came from the box. I call it my "Evil Toy" as NIB OTD, with Brady, tax, holster, and two spare magazines, with mag-scabbard it was $666+ odd pennies. LOL
Do I think it's the best? No. But...it's on the list.
The only time I've had a FTE or FTF was during some tests to see how LIGHT I could load it and still be reliable. (you'd be surprised how slow you can get a 160gr bullet to exit a 1911 and still eject!!)
Have fun, I will,
Gene

Mavrick
01-16-2011, 08:44 PM
For a while I carried a Combat Commander in .38 Super. Later I carried a full frame in .38 Super. I ran quite a few loads, with a lot of different bullets, jacketed, and cast through them. I had a ball with both of them.
Later, now, I have the full-frame in .45. I really enjoy IT.
There is NO reason for you to go out and get the equipment to convert to .45. Buy a .38 or 9mm and enjoy it. Later, you might find a deal on .45 stuff, and you can convert the gun you buy to .45. You'll have used the gun, and for a barrel, spring, and slide, you'll have a second gun.
Have fun,
Gene

45nut
01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
be aware there are parts like the extractor that need to be changed out for a 38super or 9mm frame to be used for a 45 too,, not a gunsmith here but it is not just the slide and barrel and mag's.

mike in co
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
chagar,
i aqgree.
but my comments on the para were in fact based on research of the other guns.....

is mine better than another gun in the price catagory..i don't "KNOW"....

but i do know i was not going to gamble MY MONEY on the other gun in this price range....

mike in co

BeeMan
01-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Para GI Expert +1

rugerdude
01-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Too bad Dan Wesson no longer makes their Panther model. Got mine for around $550 out the door and it has been dead reliable. It does not have all the doo-dads, but I didn't want them.

And for the record, Colt did one thing that forever alienated them from my interest: with the exception of the SAA, they quit making wheelguns. I am a revolver guy plain and simple. I like the 1911 (its the only auto I DO like), but for my money give me a wheelgun. And yes, I have recently handled NEW manufacture Colt SAAs and they are not even in the same class as USFA guns, though prices are in the same range. Talk about smooth! They are today what Colt was in the Golden Age!

autofix4u
01-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Went to the Toy store on Lunch today (always a mistake for me). This I a place I have bought about 10 or so from in the last coupe of years. He had about 15 1911's to pick from new & used.
I looked at a couple of RI guns (new) and a couple of Taurus guns (didnt care for them). I was about ready to go when Brandon the owner walks in and says Hi (I have known him sinse we were kids). He asks me if I want to see a couple of Finn M28s and a K31 he has in back. I say ok and we go to the back office. Sittin on his desk is a Springfield Gi Fullsize. I ask about it and he says " I took that on trade this morning, What would you give me for it"
After a little good humored haggling we settle on a price of $400 with a holster & 2 mags. I didnt have that much cash on hand so I put a deposit on it and will pick it up ina week or 2. Happy, Happy Me!!!

It has a had a flat mainspring housing fitted barrel bushing, and full length guide rod installed, Trigger feels good and looks to have a polished feed ramp.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Happy you is all that matters!

Have you got a mold yet?

Miha has a H&G 200 grainer left . . . six cavity . . . http://www.mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=4&=SID also a bb one . . . since your spending money . . .

autofix4u
01-19-2011, 09:33 PM
No, Dont have a mould yet, and no dies or brass either..
Gonna have to spend some $$ on "accessories" also.

derek45
01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Outstanding !

$400 is a great deal on a Quality Springfield Armory 1911 :drinks:

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah, the extras could cost you as much or more than the gun![smilie=l:

A couple molds . . . a bunch of brass . . . ammo boxes . . . dies . . . at least you got a holster, but . . . there are other choices . . .

It's only money, gotta do something with it . . . :bigsmyl2:

[smilie=s:

Phat Man Mike
01-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Outstanding !

$400 is a great deal on a Quality Springfield Armory 1911 :drinks:

that's what I spent on a S/A gi last year 2 mag's and some other goodies :holysheep the the G/F wanted that RIA C/S dang it's a 1911 house now..

btroj
01-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Congrats. You got a pistol that fit YOUR needs. I hope you get many years of pleasure from it.

Crash_Corrigan
01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
I had a surplus Remington Rand .45 1911 back in the 70's. It was loose. It clanked. Most of the metal was worn down to the white and it was cheap.

It shot great. Always worked. Small sights, lousy trigger but reliable.

It went down the road and I had no 1911 for many years. I finally bought one of the new Taurus 1911's 3 years ago. Great gun out of the box. Trigger was very good and pull was 3.75 # new. After over 7,000 rounds through it the trigger is now down to about 3.25 # and breaks like glass.

I carried and used it so much that the finsh was looking ratty so I had it reblued. With a decent set of cocabola wood double diamond grips this gun is also looking pretty good as well as shooting 1.26" groups of 10 at 25 yds from a sandbag rest.

The original gun cost $525 out the door and the reblue and new grips another $200. So I have $725 into the gun but I will not part with it. It shoots like a dream and digests everything I put into it and is stone cold reliable for CCW.

Carolina Cast Bullets
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Mine is also a Taurus PT1911 but mine is stainless steel. I carry it daily. It too is 100% reliable, accurate and eats up anything I feed it. I specially like a Truncated Cone 230 grain cast bullet (which I make and sell, BTW) with 5.0 grains of HP38. I have found a box of Winchester Ranger Talon ammo, 230 grain JHP that I keep in the mags for serious social intercourse, should the need occur.

For the money, I dont think any of the others get close.

Shakey Jakey
01-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Great thread. Choose a platform that will support common 1911 parts. Many guns that look like 1911's and are called 1911's do not readily accept standard sized parts without labor intensive fitting. Check with the top gunsmiths and see which guns they will and will not work on. Also keep in mind that you can spend just as much to hotrod any of the available models out there and when you are finished its still a Colt or Kimber or Para or Taurus or........
Edit: SA is a great 1911 clone, thats a great foundation you have there. Careful though, the spending has just begun!

Shakey Jakey
01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Went to the Toy store on Lunch today (always a mistake for me). This I a place I have bought about 10 or so from in the last coupe of years. He had about 15 1911's to pick from new & used.
I looked at a couple of RI guns (new) and a couple of Taurus guns (didnt care for them). I was about ready to go when Brandon the owner walks in and says Hi (I have known him sinse we were kids). He asks me if I want to see a couple of Finn M28s and a K31 he has in back. I say ok and we go to the back office. Sittin on his desk is a Springfield Gi Fullsize. I ask about it and he says " I took that on trade this morning, What would you give me for it"
After a little good humored haggling we settle on a price of $400 with a holster & 2 mags. I didnt have that much cash on hand so I put a deposit on it and will pick it up ina week or 2. Happy, Happy Me!!!

It has a had a flat mainspring housing fitted barrel bushing, and full length guide rod installed, Trigger feels good and looks to have a polished feed ramp.That looks like a milspec not a GI. Milspec is uprated from the GI.

mike in co
01-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Happy you is all that matters!

Have you got a mold yet?

Miha has a H&G 200 grainer left . . . six cavity . . . http://www.mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=4&=SID also a bb one . . . since your spending money . . .

real men do not insult 1911's with lite wimpy boolits....

real men shoot 230 rn........

mike in co

ps....sound like a great deal on the gun.....

Dale53
01-22-2011, 12:31 PM

mike in co

I would like to respectfully disagree with you here. I have shot over 100,000 200 gr SWC's through my 1911's (most through one gun - the other has been the "back up"). I LOVE the H&G #68 and have also had excellent results from the H&G #130 and the Saeco #68.

The H&G #68 is not only an accurate design, feeds well in most 1911's but when you drive it 900-1000 fps, has excellent terminal performance. It's just like a "cookie cutter"...

I DO understand your preference for a 230 gr bullet, but MY choice of a 230 gr bullet is the Lee 230 Gr Truncated Cone (with the conventional lube groove). It should feed as well as the 230 gr RN (a properly fitted 1911 will digest most anything without a whimper, of course) but have MUCH better terminal performance. The TC
works visibly better for "Pins" too. The LEE Six cavity mould can be had for under $40.00, also. Of course, it is NOT a MiHec mould but it is readily available and works just fine.

Just a thought or two.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM

mike in co

So . . . you "volunteering" to catch some of those "lite wimpy" 200's?:mrgreen:

[smilie=s:

ole 5 hole group
01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I finally bought one of the new Taurus 1911's 3 years ago. Great gun out of the box. Trigger was very good and pull was 3.75 # new. After over 7,000 rounds through it the trigger is now down to about 3.25 # and breaks like glass.

I carried and used it so much that the finsh was looking ratty so I had it reblued. With a decent set of cocabola wood double diamond grips this gun is also looking pretty good as well as shooting 1.26" groups of 10 at 25 yds from a sandbag rest.

The original gun cost $525 out the door and the reblue and new grips another $200. So I have $725 into the gun but I will not part with it. It shoots like a dream and digests everything I put into it and is stone cold reliable for CCW.

You have an exceptional pistol there, as there's not many that will shoot a 10-shot group like yours. I can do a tish better at 25 yards but I paid a lot more for my Baer, Clark and Shockey.

I've stayed away from commenting on the 1911, as I've never shot one I didn't like - it's just some will group a little smaller than others and usually you'll have to put out the dollars one way or another to own one that will consistently bounce beer cans at 50 yards.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
outstanding !

$400 is a great deal on a quality springfield armory 1911 :drinks:

sweet

mike in co
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
(i shoot 230 xtp/gs for selfdefence loads....but still a 230...no wimpy 200's)

mike in co

mike in co
01-22-2011, 09:25 PM
when i want to shoot a lite bullet like a 180 or a 200 i go to my 10mm.....
180's at over 1250fps, 200 at almost 1200...........

mike in co

40sandwfan
01-24-2011, 04:24 AM
when i want to shoot a lite bullet like a 180 or a 200 i go to my 10mm.....
180's at over 1250fps, 200 at almost 1200...........

mike in co

Well, aren't you special. Geez, I made it through all 5-pages of this thread and there wasn't a page contained here that didn't have you insulting one person or another! I cast 200 and 230-grain bullets for my .45 and I can guarantee you that I'm just as much a 'real man' as anyone else here, because I don't insult someone else's choices in what they want to shoot. As long as they're shooting and on our side I'm all for them!!

Charlie, AKA the Deacon, drop me a PM sometime. I have a feeling we're living in the same area and I could use some information from a local about casting!!

Crash, you and I share the same last name! :holysheep

mike in co
01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Well, aren't you special. Geez, I made it through all 5-pages of this thread and there wasn't a page contained here that didn't have you insulting one person or another! I cast 200 and 230-grain bullets for my .45 and I can guarantee you that I'm just as much a 'real man' as anyone else here, because I don't insult someone else's choices in what they want to shoot. As long as they're shooting and on our side I'm all for them!!

Charlie, AKA the Deacon, drop me a PM sometime. I have a feeling we're living in the same area and I could use some information from a local about casting!!

Crash, you and I share the same last name! :holysheep

and the problem with the internet..is that one cannot hear humor......
some people could not hear it if it was laughing in thier ears....

thegreatdane
01-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Since it's 2011, it's time for me to own a 1911 also. I've been shopping around. I'll checkout the Para GI Expert and the Taurus PT-whatever. Price is a factor for me too, so Kimber and STI are probably out of the question.

I must admitt, I want to own a 1911, I just don't want to buy one... There are too many options, fierce opinions, and a whole field of overpriced hogwash.

So far, I've been a big advocate of plastic guns, but most recently I've discovered the wheel. they're fun too (plus you don't have to chase brass).

It is time to own a piece of american steel - the classic 1911. *sigh*

HERE WE GO...!

Markbo
01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
My standard practice load is a 200gr plated TC or HP (I happen to like Ranier) over 5.0gr Titegroup. That load shoots extremely well in every 1911 I own. What I practice with and what I carry with are not the same

358wcf
01-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Broke down last week or so and sprung for a new Kimber- wanted a top quality shooter in 45acp with adjustable sights, full size- a keeper, if you will. Didn't want to "fix up" a starter model, so I laid down the cash (muy dinero!) and picked a Kimber Eclipse II Target model. Very very nice, very clean trigger, and it wants me to take it to the range this weekend-
Wish me luck!

358wcf

My very first Autoloader! [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Dale53
01-27-2011, 01:14 AM
358wcf;
You could have hardly done better. I believe you will come to love the Kimber.

My Kimber CDP Ultra II with 3" barrel will feed the 200 gr SWC's quite well. I believe your full size will do at least that well. My favorite of all bullets for the 1911 platform is the Mihec clone of the H&G #68. It has given me excellent accuracy in my 1911's as well as my 625 S&W revolvers from velocities running from mild to wild. If you MUST have a 230 gr bullet, the Lee Precision 230gr Truncated Cone with normal lube groove is an excellent bullet. I have a six cavity mould in this style and like it for super quick reloads in my S&W 625 revolvers with full moon clips. It should also feed well in most any 1911 that will feed hardball.

FWIW
Dale53

That'll Do
01-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Congratulations on the Kimber, 358wcf!

I have a Stainless Target II, and it's been nothing but reliable.

I'll second Dale's mention of Mihec's H&G 68 clone. It has been accurate as can be with a wide variety of loads. I also have a Saeco 069 (pretty close the the Mihec), and it feeds and shoots really slick too. My preferred loads are: 4.5gr W-231, or 4.0gr Clays.

You picked a good gun, and the 45 ACP cartridge is easy to load, and has accuracy and power to boot! I haven't tried the Lee 230gr Truncated Cone, but I do shoot the RCBS 45-230-RN (the profile is really close to a H&G 34), and I haven't had any trouble with it whatsoever. I load it with 5.0gr of W-231 for an excellent plinking round.

Again, congratulations on your purchase, welcome to the autoloader world!

Markbo
01-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Look forward to a report after the first range trip.

Dframe
01-30-2011, 03:43 PM
The 45 ACP is a superb cartridge and very easy to load. But if you're already set up for and experianced at loading the 38 Super why not just keep on keepin on. The Super is an underappreciated cartridge. It's ballistics are excellent and you could do a lot worse.

mike in co
01-31-2011, 02:44 AM
The 45 ACP is a superb cartridge and very easy to load. But if you're already set up for and experianced at loading the 38 Super why not just keep on keepin on. The Super is an underappreciated cartridge. It's ballistics are excellent and you could do a lot worse.

lol...like he said...i WANT a 45.......that a good enough reason....

see what happened to me this weekend just from all this talk...i bought another 45....llama minimax....

shame on all you guys...

mike in co

Dale53
01-31-2011, 04:18 AM
As I have stated before, the 1911 .45 ACP is the world's best fighting handgun, in my not so humble opinion and I have three of them. However, as I have gotten to be a "Certified Old Fart" I have come to truly appreciate a .45 ACP revolver (I HATE to chase cases).

That has NOT reduced my appreciation of the .45 ACP and just this week I ran 1200 rounds loaded, and cast 1400+ H&G #68's to replace the loaded ones. I load the .45 ACP cases to an overall length that will work in my Autos (they seem to shoot well in the revolvers, also, at that length and I am CRITICAL when it comes to accuracy). On the other hand, I do run them in Auto Rim cases, often, in the revolver simply because of the convenience.

No proper home can be called "a proper home" without at least one .45 ACP handgun ready at hand (IMO, of course).

Dale53

waco
01-31-2011, 10:59 PM
i have a kimber custom classic 5" full size i bought about 10-11 years ago. i love that gun! lyman 225 rn and titegroup work well. the gun also loves 200gr swc. with unique