PDA

View Full Version : Bad news/Good News

MGySgt
11-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Monday, 10/20, I was admitted to the local hospital with chest pains. Well I was transferred to another Hospital, Medical College of Virginia (MCV) on Tue and had the first operation Wed morning. To see how bad the blockage was. The 2 main arteries were 100% blocked so Thursday it was back for a double by-pass.

Long story short – First I am still alive and kicking, but I have had a mild heart attack and the blockages of course.

No long-term damage to the heart and the by passes were successful.

Good news is that I will survive, but have a long mend before I can do any shooting or casting.

Now I have a question for any one else out there that has had their chest opened up like this. Can the sternum become strong enough to shoot the heavy recoiling rifles again?

I am not talking about in the next 4 to 6 months, but say next October for Elk Season in Colorado?

Drew

jcadwell
11-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Time to try a muzzle break perhaps? How big a rifle are we talking here? A 7mm-08 with a big muzzle break would probably be easy enough.

Glad to hear that you caught it in time, and that you have a great prognosis. Best wishes with the recovery.

Ron
11-01-2006, 02:20 AM
Drew,
Can't help with your question, just thought I would wish you a safe and fast recovery.

David R
11-01-2006, 07:30 AM
I hope for nothing but the best for you.

You will have plenty of time to hang around here :)

David

Pepe Ray
11-01-2006, 11:09 AM
The short answer is tes.
On Aug 2,'02 I had a quadruple BP (cabbage to the cardiac nurses out there).
By Nov. deer season I was in the woods. I believe that 90% of your recovery success will depend on your previous work ethic. Following my op. I felt better than I had the previous 15 yrs. I didn't realize how sick I was. Thought I was just "getting old". Once the Oxygen started getting back to my brain I was a new man.
In our medical system there are 2 phases of rehab. The first is or should be, mandatory before you can be discharged. Work at it. If in your whole life youve ever been able to give 110%, this is the time and place.
While this is going on, look for a phase II rehab. facility. This is a place where you do supervised conditioning exercises. This may include mechanical devises and weights and lots of cardiac exercises. All supervised by cardiac nurses and monitored and recorded to show progress.
Check with your local Hospital for refferences. And WORK AT IT!!
I'm 68 and in better shape than I was when I was 50, and progressing. Work out 3 days a week, (yes ,I take time off for fun and family obligations).
I've never fired a .458WinMag, but last year I worked up loads for my son's Moose hunt, in a.338/06 w/250 gr.BOOLETS.
I've got a .475Linebaugh and a .480Rug/Rossi-M'92 Trapper that I let slap me around.
Sounds like you've got a second chance at life. Praise God and make the most of it.
Good luck, Pepe Ray

MGySgt
11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Jcadwell - If I have to use something 'Light' I had thought about the 7mm/08 also. Big enought to get the job done even on Elk, but light enought in recoil that I should be able to handle it by next summer. I like my 45 big bores.

Pepe Ray - Thanks for the reply and works of encouragement. I like to shoot my 45/70's and 45/90's in the 1500 - 1700 range with 430gr GC's. It is jst a hoot to shoot them.

This is my first week after leaving the Hospital and I can not believe how weak I am. It is just a chore to get up and walk around the house. But I am doing it, but I may be going too slow, just don't know. Having a hard time sleeping at night, just can not get comforatable enough to sleep more then a few hours at a time. Forget about laying down in a bed, change in the pressure in the chest cavity and I keep expecting it to hurt more.

It will be next week before I go back to the Surgeons to get the 'Zipper' taken out and then I will be set up with a cardic exercise location and schedule. There is a Cardiac Rehab gym in the local hospital I was first admitted to, they just don't have the facilities to undertake the Operations.

Drew

Pepe Ray
11-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Drew.
Iguess I was just lucky. On 2nd thought , I know I was lucky.
Where anyone would expect that OH surg'y would leave you uncomfortable, MY biggest peave was the mess they made of my legs. They take veins from the legs to use for some of the plumbing repairs. I was scarrd from knees to crotch. They closed up the incisions with staples. Now THAT was a b@#$h!!
Fatigue, for me, was/is caused by lack of Oxygen. Anything you can do to keep the fresh supply going to your head will boost you more than anything.

This spirng (May) I thought I had a stroke. Went to ER. Altho they agreed that it shur looked like a stroke at first , they kept looking. Guilliam/Barre Sindrum.
Some people never recover, many take months. Iwas out of there in 2 wks. At 90% and back to 100% in another week. How come? Conditioning. Nearly 4 yrs of Rehab had paid off. BIG TIME. Of course the Standard treatment was made, I don't mean to imply that I cured myself. No way. But w/o the conditioning I'd have been in the hosp. at least a month and sick all summer.

You've had a traumatic experiance. Keep your attitude positive. Work toward that goal of the big hunt next summer and you'll do great.
Pepe Ray

versifier
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Don't overlook the positive features of good recoil pads. When you are feeling a little better, you can get yourself a jig for profiling them and do your own. A small belt sander 1" or 2" is all you need, a disc will work, too, and a careful eye for shortening the stocks. Or you could go the easy way and get them already made replacements - if the rifles have any collector value, you don't want to mess up the original stocks.

MGySgt
11-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Pepe Ray - I must have been lucky or they have new technique for taking the veins out of the leg. My right leg is black and blue and swollen, but there is only 3 incisions about 2.5 in long just below the inside of the knee. I think they will heal nicely and not scar too bad.

I know about Physical Therapy been there done that for other problems, not as big as this one, but...

Heart Healthy exercise - Not real sure as to where I will end up doing it. There is a VA hospital about 10 miles from work where I could wind up or in the hospital between work and home. A lot will be determined on the work out schedules - number of times per day/week and the time of day and of course how much TriCare will pay for.

After the initial theraphy there is a decent Gym where I work that I could also use.

As I am a manager with no real set work hours I can adjust my work out time as needed.

Versifier - Recoil Pads - They can and will be changed on my Marlin and Ruger #1. But the 2 Sharps are another story, they will not get changed, I just may wind up not using them for awhile - Don't think I will sell them, just not use them for awhile.

I would be highly surprised if I can not find someone with in the Theraphy ordeal that will be able to answer my question's on if and when I will be able to handle the recoil. I am just concerned about the strenght of the sternum.

Thank you both for yor answers and good advice.

Drew

Drew

Ricochet
11-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I sure am glad you're doing well after your bypass!

I haven't had a sternotomy, but 6 1/2 years ago I got off my Harley wrong. Wrapped my right arm around my back and just about tore it off. I've got a metal prosthesis for the upper part of the humerus and the rest wired together. The A-C joint was separated and the soft tissue was a mess in there. I'm back to shooting pretty good kickers, against that shoulder. I'd think the sternotomy, being more remote from the application of the recoil force, would not be too limiting after it got well healed.

Rick N Bama
11-01-2006, 06:25 PM
If you don't care to fit recoil pads to your rifles, then fit yourself with one. I'm speaking of the strap-on "Sissy Pads". I'm not too macho to use one with the hard kickers.

Best of luck to you in your recovery.

Rick

NVcurmudgeon
11-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Gunny, I had a triple bypass in 1999. I have no discomfort shooting my pet .35 Whelen with full-power Nosler 250 gr. Partitions, and even enjoy shooting some of BruceB's elephant rifles with heavy cast loads. The doc who did the operation, a trap shooter, said that I would know when I could go back to shooting. Didn't take very long at all, when I worked up to walking well, I was ready to shoot. I did have to remind my wife of the good doctor's words of wisdom!

waksupi
11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Drew, sorry to hear they had to re-plumb you. Happy as hell, they caught it when they did. Work hard, and you will come back fast.

carpetman
11-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I had one of those strap on recoil pads. Maybe if I were a female and had to strap things on daily I might have gotten use to it. I got it tangled and always a heck of a time figuring out how it went. Problem solved--I cut the straps off and sewed it on a shooting shirt.

bruce drake
11-02-2006, 12:25 AM
My Dad had a six way bypass seven years ago at 63 and they opened him up from ankle to crotch on both legs to get the donor vessels to rebuild around his heart. He was up and walking by the next day and he was back at work on the farm within two weeks. In a month, he was swinging his splitting maul for the fall wood supply and running the grandkids around the farm for Halloween Hayrides.

Moral of the story is following Pepe Ray about the increased blood flow/oxygen intake and continuing the active lifestyle he had previous to the heart attack.

His only concession was finally stopping the cigarettes that he had been smoking since Korea in 1951.

So if that old Retired Master Gunnery Sergeant can do it so can you!

Semper Fi

Bruce

USMC 1989-1996 (SGT 0311)
USA 1996 to present (Ordnance Captain presently)

MGySgt
11-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Sissy Pads - been using one for years when I shoot off the bench with anything bigger then a 30/30. (even a 30/30 in the hot summer with just a tee shirt on).

Walked down the rifle range today, only made it half way before I thought I should turn around and go back to sitting on the back porch. Weak as a kitten when I got back on the porch.

Each day I feel a little bit better and not as much pain in my chest and leg, I know this pain is the effect of layin in a bed for a week and the surgery, but it still concerns me, concern - naw - scares the hell out of me!

Thank you all for the encouragement.

Drew