PDA

View Full Version : mec .v. mec

300winmag
01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
All I have loaded on is hornady/pacific here is the question.
I will keep my 366's for trap good machines.

the older mec's are steel die's

the newer mec's are plastic

which is better, why I am now looking for the mec is the resizing option on the sizemaster.

thanks to all
300winmag

Ol' Butch
01-11-2011, 11:26 PM
The newer Delrin plastic dies are very smooth inside which allows hulls to slide in and be withdrawn easily. The older chrome steel dies only have a good layer of chrome on the outside. The inside is flash chromed or more likely just bare steel. Rust will form inside the steel die and cause the hulls to stick and be hard to withdraw. The Delrin dies work much better.

Butch

sargenv
01-12-2011, 01:30 AM
And you can adjust the collet down a tad if you find that you have a finicky semi auto or pump. I replaced the collet of mine some years back and found that it wasn't sizing right recently. It was somewhat of a pain, but I adjusted it so that my reloaded high brass hulls now cycle in my Browning BPS just perfectly.

rugerdude
01-14-2011, 01:59 AM
I've been using a Sizemaster for going on 20 years now and it has always worked like a charm! It is easy to adjust and easy to use. Once you get the settings right, you will be hard pressed to tell your reloads from factory rounds.

Two things that will make life easier in the long run:

1) Invest in a tube of collet lubricant for the resizer. It just makes things work a little easier.

2) Apply a good coat of chrome polish to the primer feed tray. It makes the primers slide like they are on ice and not hang up.

Oh yeah, $125 is what I got mine for back in '92! :mrgreen:

Daddyfixit
01-14-2011, 02:41 AM
I've been using a Sizemaster for going on 20 years now and it has always worked like a charm! It is easy to adjust and easy to use. Once you get the settings right, you will be hard pressed to tell your reloads from factory rounds.

Two things that will make life easier in the long run:

1) Invest in a tube of collet lubricant for the resizer. It just makes things work a little easier.

2) Apply a good coat of chrome polish to the primer feed tray. It makes the primers slide like they are on ice and not hang up.

Oh yeah, $125 is what I got mine for back in '92! :mrgreen:

Nice tip on the chrome polish! I'll have to try that one.

300winmag
01-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I am new to the mec so all info is appreciated.

Gussy
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
One advantage of the steel crimp starter is they came with 3 starters 6pt, 8pt and roll inserts. I need to get a 6pt plastic one for the newer SM. I've used a 12 ga since 1974 and have not worked on it other than a couple of cleanings and the collet and main moving points needed some lube. It's been changed to a 20ga now. I have no idea how many hulls have been through it, but many, many 1000's. Excellent machines.

300winmag
01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
after all the info and comparing the different mecs, the sizemaster would fit my needs for 100-200 shells a year of the brass plated steel hulls.
my 366 is good for the 1000 or 2 of trap loads per year.
now I am lookin for the 20 ga. sm82 sizemaster.

cajun shooter
01-18-2011, 10:07 AM
The Mec Sizemaster is by far the best one for low output. I shoot about 100 rounds a month and mine does that in no time. I use anti-seize on my resizer and it works fine. If you are going to use new hulls then you will need the brass crimp starters to give that factory crimp. If once fired then the plastic works fine.

sargenv
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
It's funny, I've never had the primers hang up in the tray.. I've loaded all kinds of things on the Sizemaster.. I use it for loading mostly specialty stuff these days.. usually steel, buckshot, slugs, and um.. other non-toxic shot loads.. I've completely worn out one adjustable shot/powder bar in all the years of use. One side seized up... it wasn't moving for anything.. I've always had really good luck with it.

The Grabber, while it has the collet resizer, I've noticed that it doesn't resize as far up as the Sizemaster does..