PDA

View Full Version : Removing a broken pin from a blind hole?

NoZombies
01-11-2011, 02:59 AM
I've got a 1911 frame that's had the front pin on the ejector shear off about flush with the frame. There's not enough meat to get a purchase on it, and I'm wondering if you fine gentlemen (and ladies) could give me your advice or it's removal. I've got the gun in the freezer right now to see if that will loosen it up any.

It's the only thing left besides some fitting, before I can finish the build of this gun.

nicholst55
01-11-2011, 05:23 AM
You could try drilling it out, but the sheared off ejector pin is probably harder than the frame is. It's very easy to drill that hole all the way through the frame; not sure that really hurts anything, though.

Mk42gunner
01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
I must have been lucky; the only one that I had that broke the front leg of the ejector werre drilled into the magazine well, so it wasn't too hard to drive the broken piece out.

Does the cross pin keep the broken leg from rotating? If it does then I would try to drill it out. If not I would use your favorite penetrating oil, then hold the frame upside down and try to vibrate it out. Be careful you don't beat up the frame while doing this.

Robert

Dave Bulla
01-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Well, don't know if it'll work for you or what your skills are but one thing we sometimes do at my work when a bolt gets broken off is to place a correct size washer over the hole/shank (this only works when broken off just flush or a little proud) then weld the washer to the shank by filling the hole with weld. We then weld a nut onto the washer by filling it with weld also. Let it cool and crank it out.

I realize you are talking about a much smaller item and a pin at that but the problem is the same. You need to get a "handle" on a stuck part. What I'm picturing is to use a washer like I mentioned and weld it on. Grind the weld flush then take a longish bolt and a little block of metal drilled so the bolt passes through the hole and with the block on the bolt but held up out of the way, weld the bolt to the washer. You now would have a little slam hammer welded to the pin that is stuck. A couple gentle taps should get it going if it's gonna move.

The question would be, can ya weld something that tiny? I'm certain it could be done but it'd be tricky. I was thinking about solder or braze but it lacks the strength and you run the risk of it "flowing" into places you don't want it to go then you'd never get that pin out.

NoZombies
01-12-2011, 05:13 PM
I have the skill to make the weld, but I'd prefer to keep the heat treat of the frame intact. Besides, my welders are all in storage.

Any other thoughts guys?

Bret4207
01-14-2011, 08:01 AM
I have managed to get a couple out by striking the body on a firm surface and the pin will eventually come out enough to grab. I don't know if that would work for you, my stuff was larger and heavier.

EDM is a possibility if you have a shop with one nearby. Weak acids and time are another. Drilling a much smaller hole and tapping it or soldering a wire in the smaller hole. If it's a real tight fit drilling carefully is probably the most realistic answer.

GT27
01-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Kroil

autofix4u
01-15-2011, 01:37 AM
I have used an Electric Vibrating engraver a couple of times, That and some good penetrating oil may loosen it up enough to come out..