PDA

View Full Version : What stated have outlawed ww?

boomboy
01-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Hey All,
This spring I am making road trip back to North Dakota to see thw Inlaws:groner:
So I told.......asked the wife if i could stop at tire shops and such in search of ww's, and to my suprise I got the ok.

What i need to know is what states if any still allow lead ww's.

We live in kommiefornia and will probably be heading through Idaho and Montana or maybe Wyoming.
Planning to hit as many truck shops as I can.
Just want to know where to spend my time cuz' I know she will get fed up with it real quick. Road tripping with a pregnant wife and 2 year old is fun enough without pissing her off.....But I just can't pass up the chance at some outastate ww's:lovebooli

Am I way offbase or will this be worthwhile?
Boom

Ilwil
01-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Washington has banned them.

justingrosche
01-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Well ya know California Condors eat wheel weights right off your car.

jameslovesjammie
01-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Don't bother stopping at Sears...corporate switched to steel.

*Paladin*
01-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Pretty much all of the chain stores here in S. Idaho have a deal w/ Interstate battery for recycling and won't give them up, or at least that's what I'm told at most of them. The shops that will give them/sell them? That's my secret... :mrgreen:

WILCO
01-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Check out small mechanic shops along the way. Just google for those on your route of travel.

Jim
01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
I picked up about 2/3 of a bucket of WW's last week from my mechanic friend. We got to discussing this issue. He told me Illinois is next on the list and several other states have it on the table.
He's already stocking the steel weights for the greenheads around here(and there's a lot!), but will continue to use standard WWs as long as he can.

Stock up best you can, fellas.

Jim
01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
I picked up about 2/3 of a bucket of WW's last week from my mechanic friend. We got to discussing this issue. He told me Illinois is next on the list and several other states have it on the table.
He's already stocking the steel weights for the greenheads around here(and there's a lot!), but will continue to use standard WWs as long as he can.

Stock up best you can, fellas.

boomboy
01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Well ya know California Condors eat wheel weights right off your car.

Ya and if you are not carfule they will come and eat an entire box of shotgun shells.

boomboy
01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Check out small mechanic shops along the way. Just google for those on your route of travel.

Thats pretty much what I was planning but didn't want to waist my time if the states have outlawed ww's.

Dframe
01-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Pretty much all of the chain stores here in S. Idaho have a deal w/ Interstate battery for recycling and won't give them up, or at least that's what I'm told at most of them. The shops that will give them/sell them? That's my secret... :mrgreen:
Almost all of the tire shops in my area have similar agreements.

cajun shooter
01-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I know that the chain tire stores such as Goodyear and Firestone have to exchange the old weights to receive new ones. I think your best bet would be to google tire stores that will be close to your route and give them a call. If not by your fourth or fifth stop and receiving no lead, SWMBO will take back that it's OK with me. Just one call would be the gold mine unless your driving a tractor and trailer.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-12-2011, 07:02 AM
An independent tire store where they have a fleet of trucks to go out and change tires on the road or farm, is where I get my WW. All of the chain stores have contracts for lead disposal. Call some shooting ranges. I went to one Saturday and when leaving, I asked the owner if he had any lead for sale. He said he sells it to a scrap yard three times a year. Last time he cleaned it, he got out 3 tons. He said that the guy paid him .30 a pound. I told him that the next time he cleans, I would make him a better offer than the scrap yard.

Trapaddict
01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
I have just bitten the bullet (pun intended) and get most of my lead from the scrap yard when I need it. Wal-Mart, Costco and Belle-Tire won't give them up anymore. One small tire shop in my town has been selling me their weights for a few years now. I just pay them the going rate from the scrapper. I guess I waited a couple weeks too long this time and over 500 lbs went down the road with someone else. Grrrr!!!!!! :(

Jeff

fredj338
01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Good luck, you'll need it w/ a preg wife along & a strike out 20-1. Even though many states haven't hit the ban yet, the major manuf have already gone to zinc or steel. Kalif being the largest car/tire market in probably the world, they aren't messing around & making diff kinds. The days are numbered, hope you are successful & congrats on the new baby.

chris in va
01-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I talked with a local tire installer, he said the new steel and zinc weights are a real PITA to use as they don't conform to the wheel like lead does. Lots of problems.