PDA

View Full Version : Walk in retailers, a new sticky?

twocool4u
01-11-2011, 01:18 AM
The lists of online retailers of reloading supplies are everywhere.

I would like to propose the creation of a state by state list of walk in retailers, by this I mean not just bubba down the road with a few cans of powder and die sets, but the 4 or 5 retailers in each state with the largest inventory of reloading related items.

The reason I bring this up is a few weeks ago I took a road trip to Lexington Kentucky and just happened to go into Sportsman's Warehouse and they had a huge inventory of reloading equipment and pretty good prices. I have been to a few gun stores that sold reloading gear, but this place had at least 10 times the inventory of any other place I have been.

Such a list would make it easy to shop in places you do not normally frequent instead of it just being a matter of blind luck. You never know what might be lurking just around the corner that you just never happened to hear about.

kywilber
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
I would love to know all of them south central ky. I can only think of 2 uncle lees and gander mountain

furbis
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
in Colorado we have a few big ones to check for reloading supplys.

Bass Pro
Sportsmans Warehouse
Gander Mtn
Jax sporting goods

when Cabelas gets everything worked out we will be able to shop there also. I can't wait.

Shuz
01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I went thru Louisville this past fall and at the suggestion of Beagle, went to "Biffs Gun Shop". It had undoubtedly the largest collection of bullet moulds I had ever seen. Many hard to get items and discontinued Lyman moulds.
I don't remember the address, but it was on a main hiway "south something or other". I'm sure they are in the phone book for Louisville, Ky.

35isit
01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I went thru Louisville this past fall and at the suggestion of Beagle, went to "Biffs Gun Shop". It had undoubtedly the largest collection of bullet moulds I had ever seen. Many hard to get items and discontinued Lyman moulds.
I don't remember the address, but it was on a main hiway "south something or other". I'm sure they are in the phone book for Louisville, Ky.

If it's the same place. I havn't been in there in 30+ yrs. It used to be Biff Sumners. It's on the Dixie Highway Highway 62 south in Louisville near Pleasure Ridge Park. My wife grew up in that area and took me there before we were married.

Rick N Bama
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I would love to know all of them south central ky. I can only think of 2 uncle lees and gander mountain

Where is Uncle Lee's? I've been to Gander Mt in Bowling Green.

Rick

MT Gianni
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
It probably should be State specific and listed by town if it is something we want to do. In MT I can think of Scheels, Big Bear, Big R, Warehouse Sports, Bob Wards as chains stores + one Cabelas. Most towns have at least one store with relooading supplies if they are over 5000 population. It is usually Ace hardware or other.

chris in va
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Honestly, I don't want everyone knowing where I get my primers and powder for cheap. Last thing I need is someone panic buying all the flippin primers.

Hometek
01-11-2011, 09:00 PM
in Colorado we have a few big ones to check for reloading supplys.

Bass Pro
Sportsmans Warehouse
Gander Mtn
Jax sporting goods

when Cabelas gets everything worked out we will be able to shop there also. I can't wait.

We have a Cabelas in Grand Junction but it's smaller than their normal stores.

Jerry's Outdoor Sports in GJ
Gene Taylors (Gunnison, GJ)
Jeans Westerner (Delta, Montrose)

RobS
01-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Kansas:

Cabelas--KC
Bass Pro--KC
Powder Valley--Winfield, KS

Are big ones I can think of

Missouri:
Midway USA--Columbia, MO
Graf and Sons--Mexico, MO
Bass Pro--Springfield, MO

There are quite a few more in Missouri

beagle
01-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Aw Ray, you let the secret out. Now everone will know./beagle

*Paladin*
01-12-2011, 12:25 AM
In SW Idaho, we're pretty much limited to Cabelas (Boise), Sportsman's Warehouse (Meridian), Cliff's Guns (Boise). I haven't seen much for a reloading or casting supply anywhere else. In fact, for casting, Cabelas and Sportsman's are pretty crappy...

In Anchorage, there Great Northern Guns and Sportsman's. At least thats where I went for reloading supplies when I lived in Alaska.

Czech_too
01-12-2011, 05:12 AM
In North central Ohio the only ones I know that are worth stopping at are
Fin, Feather & Fur in Ashland
Stortsmans Den in Shelby

FLDad
01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
In Central Florida we have the usual suspects, Gander Mountain and Bass Pro, but we also have some good smaller shops. Buffalo Bill's in Orlando is a good source for black powder arms and supplies, but they also carry some reloading gear for modern arms, with a good selection of powders and primers. Another good choice is Space Coast Bullets in Melbourne. Small warehouse-type space but absolutely crammed with bullets (both j-word and cast), cases, presses and everything else. Definitely worth a stop if you are in the area. Another great source for reloading supplies is the pro shop at Tenoroc Shooting Range in Lakeland. They are well stocked for pistol, rifle and shotgun reloading. The folks there are very friendly and their prices are very low compared to every other place I shop. I usually save at least ten percent.

Shuz
01-12-2011, 03:22 PM
If it's the same place. I havn't been in there in 30+ yrs. It used to be Biff Sumners. It's on the Dixie Highway Highway 62 south in Louisville near Pleasure Ridge Park. My wife grew up in that area and took me there before we were married.

That's the place!
You Kaintuckians better hurry before John gets them all scarfed up!

Harter66
01-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Northern Nv Reno ;
2 Big5s guns some ammo
Cabelas in Verdi (10mi west on I80)
Sheels (about 1/2 the ammo and about the same loading gear 10% less $ than Cabelas) on 80 Sparks about 5 east .
Sportsmans Wharehouse ,Kietzke lane 2400 block?
Silver State Guns kietzke lane 1800 block ,they rarely have fewer than 5-600 guns in touchy feely racks
Over in Mound House just east of Carson City is West Coast cast (name changes with the year) and a shot manufacturer in the Bunny Ranch bussiness park , yes that's just like the chicken ranch in Tx . The Love Ranch is across the hiway.
Tussey customs is in there too.

iron mule
01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
for me i would rather support the little guy that i can can a friend
mule

Centaur 1
01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Another good choice is Space Coast Bullets in Melbourne. Small warehouse-type space but absolutely crammed with bullets (both j-word and cast), cases, presses and everything else. Definitely worth a stop if you are in the area.

I love this place and when you say crammed you mean it. Keeping things crammed also keeps overhead and prices down. It's also a great place to find ammo for the non-reloader. They cast bullets and load their own ammo right on the premises.

http://www.spacecoastbullets.com/

warf73
01-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Kansas:

Cabelas--KC
Bass Pro--KC
Powder Valley--Winfield, KS
Gander Mountain- Wichita, KS

Are big ones I can think of

Missouri:
Midway USA--Columbia, MO
Graf and Sons--Mexico, MO
Bass Pro--Springfield, MO

There are quite a few more in Missouri

That would be the one I would add as BIG ones.

BullsEye indoor shooting range with the only 100 yard indoor rifle range in Wichita. They carry powder, primers, brass, bullets/boolits and reloading dies and the only full line supplier of Dillion reloading presses and converstions in Wichita.

Bullet Stop pistol range carrys everything that BullsEye carrys but a full line of Lee reloading equitment.

Finnly's Hobbies they carry a full line of reloading supplies for shotshell reloading and most all powders and primers for reload rifle and pistol. They do carry a full line of Mec shotshell presses.

XWrench3
01-13-2011, 07:58 AM
personally, i think this is a great idea. i have basicly two walk-in places i do business with. Jay's sporting goods in Clare Mi. and a local guy Osbornes Gunsmithing in White Cloud MI. Jay's has a lot of powder, primes and bullets, and a halfway decent supply of other reloading hardware. Bob Osborne has a little bit of EVERYTHING. he may not have exactly what you are looking for (he is basicly a one man show), but almost always has enough to get you shooting again. the best part about Bob's place is the hunt. his dad opened the place in the 1940's. and somewhere in there, there are probably a couple of items from the original opening inventory. our state has a Cabela's, but is down in Dundee, which for me is a long way away. i have never been there. i would litterally LOVE to find a reloading SUPERSTORE somewhere within 100 miles of me. oh, i almost forgot about a place in Kalamazoo. On Target Inc. , this is as close to a SUPERSTORE as i have ever been in. i am going to have to make another trip down there one of these days. for me, Kalamazoo is right on the edge of 100 miles.

BrassFever
01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
In Washington I get my stuff here:

Bi Mart Ellensburg
Cabelas Lacey
Sportco Fife
Wholesale Sports Federal Way
Three Forks Ammo and Reloading Cle Elum
Federal Way Discount Guns Federal Way
Kittitas County Trading Co. Ellensburg
Sure Shot Guns and Pawn Kittitas

35isit
01-13-2011, 05:20 PM
That's the place!
You Kaintuckians better hurry before John gets them all scarfed up!

My father in law new Mr. Sumners the original owner of the store. He was shot and killed by robbers many years ago. His son, I assume who still owns and operates the store stepped out of the office and offed the bad guys with a .45.

Back to the subject at hand. Lexington Ky has Sportsman Warehouse and a place calle Evans Archery and Firearms. Evans has about everything but can be hit or miss. He buys collections of used stuff so you never know what he will have. In Paris Ky there is a shop that used to be called Buds. It has changed names and I don't know the new name. They are hit and miss some times.

Toobroke
01-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Let's see, here in North Central North Dakota (Minot), we have Scheels and The Sportsman's Loft. Down in Bismarck/Mandan we have another Scheel's, Gun City and Mandan Sporting Goods (love both of those last 2 places). In Grand Forks we have another Scheels and across the river in E Grand Forks MN we have a Cabela's and in Fargo we have another Scheels, Sportsman's Warehouse (they have gone downhill in the last couple years) and a Gander Mtn (I don't like this place but they do carry some reloading supplies--at sky-high prices). Seems like there was one more place in Fargo I've been to a time or two, but it's name escapes me right now. I was never a 'walk-in' but I'm still crying over Lock, Stock and Barrell (Valentine NE) going out of business...

Leadmelter
01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Michigan
Cabela's in Dundee. Worth the trip for a day, beautiful place and has a cafeteria for a good Elk burger.
Jay's in Clare and Gaylord?. Good Stock and nice people.
Bass Pro in Auburn Hills has slimmed down its' reloading section, at least for my needs.
A bunch of the old store in SE MI are gone.
Bad Axe has good gun store but I forgot the name. Young guys good selection.
I try to find new places in my MI travels in the Yellow Pages when there is time. It seems most places want to sell you guns and ammo but ignore reloading probably to the outlay in stock and such.
I probably buy more on the Internet than over the counter except for primer and powder because of the fees. Lucky for me, a guy opened a small shop in our range building of our gun club and sell at a good price to members.
Gerry

Ole
01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Mesa, AZ: Suburb of Phoenix.

Pistol Parlour. It's a very small store, but they have a huge reloading supply section. Dang near any Speer/Nosler/Hornady/Sierra bullet in the catalogs and usually a very good supply of powder, brass, and primers.

LabGuy
01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Keep them coming, I can use this thread for my vacation trip planner.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-16-2011, 11:11 PM
In Minnesota the easy ones to look up,
and these each have more than one location:
Cabelas
Sportsman Warehouse
Gander mountain
Scheels

A few quiet gems to search out is:
Wolf's Den in Hugo
Gunstop Reloading Supplies Inc in Minnetonka
ammo craft & gobbler specialties in Minnetonka

Ben
01-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Would be nice if we could get an alphabetized state by state listing.

Skipper488
01-18-2011, 04:38 PM
In middle TN the choices are limited. The BassPro Shop in Nashville carries next to nothing. There is The Reloader's Bench in Mt Juliet and Steve's in Columbia. Recently (about a year or so) they opened The Outpost Armory at the southern edge of Murphreesboro that carries some stuff. Now Nashville's Sporting Arms on Charlotte Ave (Nashville West) has starting carrying some reloading stuff and really good people too.

Quigley284
01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
+1 for John at the Gunstop Reloading in Minnetonka MN. If he ain't got it, you don't need it. Mike

degruix
01-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Gander in Bowling Green doesn't have much except high priced powder. Gale's Distributers in Bowling Green has a fair selection stuff and good prices.

Whittaker Guns in West Louisville which should be called West Owensboro since it is 7-8 miles west of Owensboro has 2-3 times Gale's reloading stock as well as an enormous number of guns. Whittaker's claims they are the largest gun store in Kentucky with 6,000 guns in stock.

Web site: http://www.whittakerguns.com/.

steg
01-20-2011, 11:02 AM
+1 with Iron mule, Special orders, repairs, returns not a problem, and if you happen to stop buy when he's not busy, you can have a good conversation, that dosen't happen at wallyworld.................steg

KYCaster
01-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Gamaliel Shooting Supply has every thing you could possibly want for your scatter gun. They're just east of Scottsville close to the TN line.

If you go looking for them, print out a good map and take your GPS....you may still get lost. Not the easiest place to find.

BTW....it's GaMAILya to the locals. Remember that when you stop to ask directions.

Jerry

P.S. Junie Sumner (Little Biff) still runs Biff's Gun Room on US 31W about a mile south of I 265. He and his son Kenny also own Knob Creek Range. Keep going south on 31W about five miles and turn left on KY 44. Entrance to KCR is two miles on the right. Kenny has a decent stock of mil surps, powder, primers, bullets, boolits as well as new guns.

Harter66
01-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Hey I forgot a couple in Reno/Sparks NV.

Bizzar Gun and Guitar on Oddie blvd.
Mark,Fore and Strik on the north end of Kietzke lane

Frontier liquor on Reno hyw in Fallon Nv.

American West guns on So Carson st in Carson City (disclaimer I have been in but its run by a couple of fellows that left a cut throat "oh you're a wood kinda guy"shop ,citing the bosses customer service policies. )

bowenrd
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Check out Kent's in Ogden, UT. Seems they most always have the little things no one else stocks

Wots
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Close to the Michigan/Indiana border.
I'm sure they have anything you need from Lee, to powder, primers, etc.
Not the greatest pricing but far from the worst.

Kempf Gun Shop
7625 West US 20
Michigan City, Indiana

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/

Dean D.
01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
In my area (Spokane, Wa./Coeur D'Alene, Id.) we have the following:

Black Sheep (CDA)
White Elephant (2 stores in Spokane)
Cabelas (Post Falls)
Sportsman Warehouse (Spokane & CDA)

My personal favorite for price and product availability is Black Sheep.