PDA

View Full Version : 7mm-08 Youth Hunting Load for Handi?

wsjones
01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm starting to hate this site. I was happily anticipating ording a a 243 barrel for my Handi Rifle presently chamber in 7mm-08. I was going to cut the original stock, which has been replaced, down to youth size and have a beginner hunter special.

Now the low velocity cast bullet concept is beginning to take hold. First I thought a reduced velocity light weight jacketed bullet load in the 7-08 might be the ticket but am now thinking a better option might be to work up some loads with for a cast boolit suitable for whitetails at 100 yards or less.

The boy's shooting a .410 at milk jugs and squirrels this year and might be ready to take on a deer hunt next year. Naturally recoil and shootability are issues. Don' want to beat him up and do want him to shoot well and enjoy hitting something. And whether he's ready to hunt deer yet or not I think getting him a rifle to learn and practice with will be worthwhile (I've give it to his dad and keep them in ammo).

I do not cast and will have to purchase boolits. From what I've read here and other places, a 140-145 GC at 1700-1800 fps might be just the ticket.

Thoughts? Suggestions? The rifle is a 22" bbl Handi, 1 in 10 twist.

Thanks. -WSJ

94Doug
01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I can trade you some Boolits for Brass if you would like, I have an RCBS Sil 140 and a Saeco that is kind of the same thing if I rember right....if you don't need a whole bunch, I'd be happy to send you some for the young-un' for free eitherway. Sorry, no help on the loads, although I'd be willing to look up some in the RCBS manual later....

Doug

fatnhappy
01-10-2011, 09:37 PM
where in western NY are you?

I'm assuming since you're using a rifle and reside in "western NY" rather than "northern" NY that you live in a county bordering PA between Binghampton and Salamanca.

marshall623
01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I have 130 lee's / GC and 160 lymans / GC I shoot'em in a contender in 7-30 Waters & 7 TCU
The 130's will be your best bet for deer. I can send you some to try. They are lubed and sized to .285
Tim

wsjones
01-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Doug, Thanks for the offer but all the 7-08 brass I have I bought after I bought the Handi a few years ago. Dunno what you're considering 'a whole bunch' but I was figuring on purchasing a hundred somewhere and if they work, some more. But the commercial availability is important.

Tim, Also thanks for the offer of a 'try' load but unless it's something I can purchase somewhere from someone, so I don't want to put you to the trouble unless there's a source for purchase.

And fatnhappy, I'm in Livingston County, land of the shotgun slug or the hand rifle, at least for the time being. Naturally I'm an ardent proponent of rifles for deer south of 20A. My nephew is in PA, not far from Pittsburgh, and we hunt at my grandparents old farm (now a family camp/weekend project for guys with no skill at carpentry or plumbing) in Forest County, on about 90 acres adjoining timber company land. I don't actually hunt much there myself since my dad died but do go every year for 'buck season' with the cousins, uncles, nephews, friends, etc. Deer are much more plentiful in the back yard here.

All, Thanks for the generous offers. And pardon my ignorance because I'm in the earliest stages of understanding CB shapes, composition, characteristics, moulds, etc. -Scott

Blammer
01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
I would recommend this boolit. The 7mm Hunter at about 150gr's, push it about 1900 or so fps and you'll have a great deer thumper, with mild recoil. If the boy can shoot a .410 shotgun he'll handle this easy.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/7mm/DSCN8117.jpg

fatnhappy
01-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Scott,

I shot you a private message.