PDA

View Full Version : bacon fat

camerl2009
01-10-2011, 06:53 PM
will a

50/50 beeswax and bacon fat work
good in the martini henry

i think it mite and if the you know whos start to raise hell here i think the bacon/pig fat will take care of them good lol :kidding:

arjacobson
01-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Don'tknow if it will or not but I'm now hungry:-P

rockrat
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I would worry about all the salt in the bacon fat. Don't think it would be good for the bore.

onesonek
01-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I would worry about all the salt in the bacon fat. Don't think it would be good for the bore.

That was my exact thought!!!! But might help the taste of a gin martini

camerl2009
01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
lol theres salt in most fats this is for blackpowder

square butte
01-10-2011, 08:18 PM
There is only salt in fat that comes from animal meat that has had salt used in the curing process as most bacon has. Many meat fats have no salt in them.

James Wisner
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
LOL.

I am not sure about using it for lube.

But we used it for years in the machine shop. When my Grandparents finally had to move into assited living, she had kept all the lard and put it in a 5 gallon bucket.
For years I used it on various things, drilling holes reaming etc.

One day while using it I was inspected by our Labor and Industires. Of course since I did not have a MSDS sheet on that material he was going to write me up on it.

OK I flipped it around on him.

I stated that the oringial manufacturer was deceased, and no longer on this earth, and that the primary maker had not responded to anything in writing for several hundred years. The inspector looked at me and simply asked what is this, I reached in with an finger and took a scoop out and ate it. He come unglued, I told him it is LARD, and I had asked his help to come up with a MSDS for it. He walked out muttering. I have never had another inspection in the last 15 years.

James Wisner

camerl2009
01-10-2011, 09:03 PM
There is only salt in fat that comes from animal meat that has had salt used in the curing process as most bacon has. Many meat fats have no salt in them.

well maybe i can go get some back fat :p

fryboy
01-10-2011, 09:26 PM
i thought fat back was better with beans:p

actually all meat has some salt content ... careful rendering can help knock this down ( boil in water a few times and let harden and change water ) processed meat , such as bacon has more salt so a few more renderings mite be in order , after that it's just grease as opposed to tallow , translated that means also it doesnt resist heat as well and would take less fat to soften the same amount of beeswax tallow would

arjacobson
01-11-2011, 04:03 AM
LOL.

I am not sure about using it for lube.

But we used it for years in the machine shop. When my Grandparents finally had to move into assited living, she had kept all the lard and put it in a 5 gallon bucket.
For years I used it on various things, drilling holes reaming etc.

One day while using it I was inspected by our Labor and Industires. Of course since I did not have a MSDS sheet on that material he was going to write me up on it.

OK I flipped it around on him.

I stated that the oringial manufacturer was deceased, and no longer on this earth, and that the primary maker had not responded to anything in writing for several hundred years. The inspector looked at me and simply asked what is this, I reached in with an finger and took a scoop out and ate it. He come unglued, I told him it is LARD, and I had asked his help to come up with a MSDS for it. He walked out muttering. I have never had another inspection in the last 15 years.

James Wisner

That Sir is Excellent!!!

JJC
01-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Don'tknow if it will or not but I'm now hungry:-P

Does it smell like bacon when you fire a round? :-P

randyrat
01-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Do not BEAR hunt with it unless you have back up.

Old Goat Keeper
01-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Go to your local food market or butcher shop and buy lard that is kept in the refer case. It is about 99.9% pure with no added salt. Do NOT get the kind that is on the shelves and requires no refrigeration. It has stuff in it that you don't want in your mouth or any type of rifle. I use pure lard and bees wax for my lube in my muzzleloaders.

Tom

well maybe i can go get some back fat :p

geargnasher
01-12-2011, 12:41 AM
i thought fat back was better with beans:p

actually all meat has some salt content ... careful rendering can help knock this down ( boil in water a few times and let harden and change water ) processed meat , such as bacon has more salt so a few more renderings mite be in order , after that it's just grease as opposed to tallow , translated that means also it doesnt resist heat as well and would take less fat to soften the same amount of beeswax tallow would

+1 on repeated boilings/water changings to remove salt. It's called osmosis, the salt will move through the cell walls of the fat to the liquid of less salt concentration, in the case of clean water. Do this enough times and the salt is not only removed from outside the cells, but the natural salts from inside as well.

Gear

kelbro
01-12-2011, 08:48 AM
+1 on repeated boilings/water changings to remove salt. It's called osmosis, the salt will move through the cell walls of the fat to the liquid of less salt concentration, in the case of clean water. Do this enough times and the salt is not only removed from outside the cells, but the natural salts from inside as well.

Gear

Sort of a 'reverse brining' huh?

Freightman
01-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I noticed that Lard was $2.49 for 5# at Wallyworld the other day, that will load a lot of BPCR boolits.
I have used bacon drippings for flux but it will catch on fire and the neighborhood will smell like breakfast.

mold maker
01-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I haven't used drippings for flux or lube yet, but being an early riser, I used to have the whole camp ground sniffing and growling, at 4:30AM. When I fried bacon or country ham,
some gave me really dirty looks, as they ate cold cereal., sometimes without milk.

Freightman
01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I haven't used drippings for flux or lube yet, but being an early riser, I used to have the whole camp ground sniffing and growling, at 4:30AM. When I fried bacon or country ham,
some gave me really dirty looks, as they ate cold cereal., sometimes without milk.
Should have prepared better hadn't they!

Papa Jack
01-12-2011, 07:49 PM
will a

50/50 beeswax and bacon fat work
good in the martini henry

i think it mite and if the you know whos start to raise hell here i think the bacon/pig fat will take care of them good lol :kidding:

Well, thats kinda different.........Boolits that may cause High Cholesterol........PJ

felix
01-12-2011, 08:00 PM
I'll take some of those Henry Martinis right now. I need to reformulate my mood a little. I have plenty of Vitamin B3 (niacin) pills here to compensate. ... felix

OLPDon
01-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Felix a B3 under the tongue and a Martini is twice as good for a mood enhancer, too many Martini's though and the next day you have to do it all over again. :drinks:
Don

nanuk
01-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I use bacon fat to loob my fried potatoes

camerl2009
01-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Do not BEAR hunt with it unless you have back up.

bear hunt with what my martini henry why not lol

the only bear here is black bear there nothing to worry about
and can only carry one rifle. no handguns thay can only go to the range and back
home