PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather leading. WTH!?

SAA
01-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Well, I'm finally here. I can't say enough how great a resourse I have found this site through the years. Now, finally, I need some help that the search function hasn't solved.

A while back I worked up some loads that would eliminate leading in my .45 Colt Single Action Armys which have oversized throats. This morning I went out to the range for some sight adjustment tests on one of them. Aside form skinning my trigger finger knuckle while setting my target stand, bleeding all over the place and only firing 15-shots before calling it a day, I found the bore just past the forcing cone pretty well leaded once I was done. WTH!? I had to break out the Lewis Lead Remover for the first time in a while[smilie=b:

The only difference this time is that the temperature was near freezing, and so was my ammunition.

It seems the bullets were obturating fairly well (though there was a little bit of leading in the throats which is unusual for these loads), so the velocity seems to be as usual.

Does lead act differently enough at freezing temperatures to cause leading like this? Or could the lube hardening up in the cold cause that much trouble?

waksupi
01-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Yep, sounds like a lube problem. What are you using?

SAA
01-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Thankyou.

1 part Beeswax
.75 parts petroleum jelly
.25 parts parafin

It seems softer at near freezing temperatures than most commercial stuff is at room temperature, but that's a subjective evaluation.

If it is the lube, then why wouldn't the leading carry all the way through the bore?

MtGun44
01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Parafin may be your issue. It freezes out into wax crystals if it gets very cold.

Try some NRA 50-50 or LBT soft blue.

Bill

waksupi
01-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Maybe it thaws out as it travels down the bore? I dunno!

lwknight
01-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Maybe it thaws out as it travels down the bore? I dunno!
That sounds plausible anyway.

SAA
01-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Maybe it thaws out as it travels down the bore?

Now, why didn't I think of that? Sounds right to me.

Interesting about parafin crystalizing out. Rather than go to commercial lubes though, I think I'll just bring the ammunition indoors to "thaw" the night before I go shooting. Hopefully a problem with parafin isn't irreversible; I have a bunch loaded up already that have been exposed to freezing temperatures.

Thankyou, Gentlemen.

Dale53
01-11-2011, 01:48 AM
I use Lars White Label Carnauba Red and it seems to work perfectly whatever the temperature.

When you consider that it is available for $1.65 per stick, I quit making my own lube and have used nothing but Carnauba Red for some time (and MANY thousands of bullets).

Dale53

44man
01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Thankyou.

1 part Beeswax
.75 parts petroleum jelly
.25 parts parafin

It seems softer at near freezing temperatures than most commercial stuff is at room temperature, but that's a subjective evaluation.

If it is the lube, then why wouldn't the leading carry all the way through the bore?
To tell the truth I don't know how you prevent leading in any weather with that mix. Sounds very hard.
Dale is right about Lar's lubes and Felix lube is also one of the best.