PDA

View Full Version : Using Cheddite hulls

roysha
01-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Does anyone here use Cheddite hulls for buckshot and/or slugs? This is in regard to 12 gauge 2 3/4". If so, do you have a pet load you would care to share?

Ballistic Products sells a reloading book with the Cheddite data. Has anyone seen a copy of this book? If you have, what is your comment regarding content as it relates to slugs and buckshot?

I have always used AAs but given the price and availability of the Cheddite hulls, I may rethink that practice.

turbo1889
01-11-2011, 12:27 AM
There are many hulls mainly of European manufacture that are nearly identical in construction. Namely, hulls that have a plastic tube body where the plastic tube remains the same thickness from one end to the other and inside down at the bottom a simple plastic disk, which just happens to be about 7mm thick (same as the length of a 209 shotgun primer), is glued in place locking the tube to the brass, steel, or aluminum head and providing a nice tight primer pocket. I call these "7mm two piece plastic hulls".

I believe that is what you will find your Cheddita hulls are. Similar hull configurations include Fiochi hulls and the two piece Remington hunting hulls among others (the first few pages of the Lyman shot shell loading manual show cut away view of varies hull construction configurations).

IME & IMHO you should be able to use the load data for hulls that have similar construction to load yours. I recommend slightly decreasing the charge (a grain or two) for sake of prudence and caution.

RMc
01-11-2011, 04:11 AM
...high performance buckshot load:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=92396

Trapaddict
01-14-2011, 08:27 PM
The cheddite hull is a Reifenhauser style. As Turbo1889 states, it is a design used by many european manufacturers. Rio, Cheddite, Kemen, Centurion, Nobelsport, Fiocchi.... All these hulls are great to pick up, load once and then leave them lay on the ground. You can pick up all you want for free. Don't load them more than once. I commonly get 10-12 reloads out of my Remington STS hulls and old style WW AA's.

Jeff

eye shot
01-15-2011, 02:41 AM
Lightfield load specification for Commander IDS (465 grain) 1-1/16 oz

Cheddite ( straight wall/ unskived) 2-3/4" hull. Ceddite hull is the factory hull used by Lightfield.

Powder Solo 1250- Accurate Arms
WW primer-- W209
charge wieght-- 37.0 grs.
Roll crimp overall length-- 2.512"
Average velocity-- 1615fps.

Hope this helps, it's one I have used- very accurate.