PDA

View Full Version : Primer Question

FISH4BUGS
10-31-2006, 09:38 AM
I am looking to buy some 20,000 primers (5k each of SP, SP mag, SR, and LP) and I note that Winchester does not have a LP mag (for use in 44 mag.). I wonder why? Can you use the LP primers when doing cast bullets (or the other kind) in 44mag? Other mfgrs offer LP mag primers, but not Winchester. They seem to be the cheapest BTW.

felix
10-31-2006, 09:58 AM
It is very hard to say about primers. History only, and in general. Federals provide the most heat, and the softest cup. Winchester magnum primers provide the most force (power). CCIs provide the toughest cups. All others are in between somewhere. Magnum primers, especially winchester, are for the longest powder columns. Always start with the mildest primer for a typical case length. This means start with Federals, and most especially if the primer pockets are tight for the other brands. Exception is when winchester magnums are required, like long cases with ball powder. ... felix

Bass Ackward
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
I am looking to buy some 20,000 primers (5k each of SP, SP mag, SR, and LP) and I note that Winchester does not have a LP mag (for use in 44 mag.). I wonder why? Can you use the LP primers when doing cast bullets (or the other kind) in 44mag? Other mfgrs offer LP mag primers, but not Winchester. They seem to be the cheapest BTW.

F4B,

Felix covered most of your question. Winchester LP primers have an extra ingredient in them that make them hotter. This is because Winchester uses them with their commercial ammo line which is virtually all ball powder loads. And you know ball powder is cooler burning or harder to ignite. So their large pistol primers are listed as for standard or magnum loads. Which is why they are dandies for use in rifle cases at cast bullet pressures with stick powders. Rifle power flame at pistol level power.

So your question should really be, why doesn't Winchester make a standard primer for large pistol cases? Help?

Four Fingers of Death
11-01-2006, 07:31 PM
I've used squillions of them in 44 with loads from popgun to wham bam, knock em down loads. Good, cheap, easy to seat (I am using PMCs at the moment I bought bulk and they are a huge pain to seat, they just don't wanna go in there! Mick.

Char-Gar
11-01-2006, 08:40 PM
I have favored the Remington 9.5 LR primer for years. It has the lowest brisance of the LR primers and that is a good things for most cast bullet loads. I also use the Remington 9.5M when large doses of slow ball machinegun powder is used.

We can touch off a debate on this subject, but I understand "brisance" to be the rate at which a primer releases 100% of it's energy. Brisance does not measure the amount of energy or the heat of the energy, but the speed at which it is released. So, I guess we could call the Remington 9.5 as a "slow" primer although I have never heard it discribed as that.

The primer plays an important part in cast bullet shooting, perhaps more so that with those dreadful little yellow thingies. Big bang primers can start the bullet down the barrel before the powder charge joins in for the "big push" as Phil Sharpe calls it.

LAH
11-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I used a bunch of them in 44 Mag. with 2400 & H-110. They work great. I've used them with 231 & Unique in 45 Colt. They work great. I've used them in 45 ACP with Bullseye. They work great. Cast or J-Word bullets. They work great.

To make a long story short, I buy mostly WW............Creeker

FISH4BUGS
11-08-2006, 06:05 PM
I bought 20,000 WW primers and an 8lb 231 from Powder Valley Services. $16.50 per thousand and $105 for the 8lb keg can't be beat!
Thanks for the input!