PDA

View Full Version : Think Im coming down with the bug

x101airborne
01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
OK, guys. Opinions wanted. I am looking for a single shot action and stock to have re-barreled. I dont really want a new design, but one from days gone by. Maybe a rolling block? Anyway, for a noob, what is a cheap(er) action that is still strong and reliable? I am looking to shoot out to around 200 yards open sights. Iwill probably have the action re-barreled right away unless the bore is good and in good caliber. Where would one peruse catalogs looking for these actions?

leadman
01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Rolling Blocks are great guns, but not the strongest as some are cast iron and are classed as black powder actions. They are great shooters though and do real well as far as accuracy with the appropriate cartridges.
You might look for a modern reproduction of a RB or a Sharps. Probably be close to the same money for an imported rifle as working with an antique.

I have an original Swedish RB in 8X58R and a Pedersoli import in 40-65. They are both great shooters. The 8X58R is a very expensive cartridge to buy cases and dies for.

bigted
01-10-2011, 01:00 PM
i also hankered for a "project gun". every time i get one of these i just start cleaning and make the mistake of loading for it and then the cats outta the bag as for my "parts gun".

the real way to do this iv concluded is to keep looking around for a whole gun that has the basic action your looking for...they are all out there...sharps , hiwall's , rollers , on n on n on. just gotta keep your eyes open and have some patience and one will lope along for you to snag...also doing just this is a good way to bring to bait the action you really desire. i really like the sharps style and the hiwall has taken over my commen sense to date but thats just me...prolly cheapest to get into is gonna be the roller tho.

good luck sir

Wayne Smith
01-10-2011, 05:33 PM
A lot depends on the caliber you wish. There are many options for a .22, few for a 7mm Mag or 338Mag.

klcarroll
01-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah; .....I think the Original Poster and I are on the same page! ......In order to REALLY enjoy them, my toys have to be affordable. (“SWMBO" has a limited tolerance for toys that cost a month’s pay! )

I want to hear about the “Really Good Deals”; ….Regardless of where they come from!

Kent

Tom-ADC
01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I just picked up an H&R Buffalo Classic in 38-55 also have three single shots in 45-70, I'm not sure I'd want to put a bunch of rounds in 45-70 thru a H&R Buffalo Classic just to light.

oldracer
01-10-2011, 09:38 PM
The first of the single shots I bought has an original Remington Rolling Block action that was built by an old guy here in the San Diego area and had sat in his safe for years after his wife died. I got it for a pretty darn good price considering but had to get the trigger done over and the tang sight aligned and a wood refinish but it is a hoot to shoot! I just bought a brand new Armi manufactured Sharps WITH a full length scope for less that I have in the Rolling Block total ($1300) and the first 3 shots last Friday at 100 yds all touched! That was with my RB load so I am really happy considering those are supposed to be at the very bottom of the accuracy scale. So I would say to look around and take some time as I found the RB on gun broker and the other at the local gun show and the shop owner was not selling much so I got a pretty good chance.

Tom-ADC
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Oldracer that shop didn't happen to be in the basement of a shop on "G" street in Chula Vista was it? Jim built great rifles but after his wife got sick he pretty much gave up his business.

oldracer
01-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Noooo, the Rolling Block was built by a guy named Charlie Fudge in his garage and the Sharps came from a dealer in Poway (land of the Poway potatoes!).

Tom-ADC
01-10-2011, 11:39 PM
That's a problem today no more little gun shops or local gunsmiths, Jim was good made a set of trigger springs for one of my Daly O/U's was always a nice place to stop and chat he always had a pot of coffee on.

John Taylor
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I have a roller with a heavy SS octagon barrel in 40-50. The brass can be made from 30-40 Kreg. It can be rechambered for almost any of the BP 40 cal. cartridges. Customer died before it was finished. PM if you are interested.