PDA

View Full Version : Love these Cast Boolits! Great Day

MikeSSS
10-31-2006, 01:19 AM
I had forgotten just how much fun a military rifle can be.

Usually I shoot groups or lately have been practicing for match shooting.

Today was different. I took the 1903 A3 and 40 rounds of cast boolit loads to the range. There were a couple guys on the benches and so I went to the private pistol range next door. I belong, so it's OK.

First I shot a two cylinder compressor jug. Then the air tank and then one of the wheels. Seeing holes or things move when hit is fun.

Mostly I shot a propane bottle that was about 8" high and 4" wide and a steel plate about 4" high by 9" wide. Range was 15 to 40 yards and I wasn't really trying, just shooting. It was great! The A3 missed one time only and that was when I tried a fast snap shot without using the sights.

The water quenched Lee 312155 boolits made impressions on the steel plate. That's impressive.

I picked up enough spent hard-cast pistol bullets to cast 60 more rifle boolits.

I did it like I like. Shoot a couple shots, walk up and set the targets up, walk back and repeat.

Tonight I took the 40 cases out to the Dillon at 10 till 7 PM and had 40 more rounds and everything put away by 7:10. Cast Boolits and a 550B are just made for each other.

Life is good!

Gotta go load some .303's.

Jack Stanley
10-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Action targets are always fun , whether it's clay-birds , steel gongs or milk jugs . I remember the day spent scrounging for lead at the range and collecting what I could when I could . The 788 I had at the time shot everything real well . It's nice to see the amazed look on peoples face when they see lead perform so well .

Jack