PDA

View Full Version : 9mm brass with a very slight neck and shoulder?

Dannix
01-09-2011, 08:50 PM
I noticed this when mostly-full-length sizing some once?-fired brass I got a while back from someone on the swap/selling subforum here. Thoughts? FYI - These are Speer cases.

Pics: Left: After I fullish-lenght sized and primed it FL/primed left. Right: As I got it, albeit after I deprimed and tumbled them.

I hope the pics communicate it enough. The "neck" is significant enough to readily feel on ones fingertip.

lwknight
01-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Looks like some dummy shoved it to the hilt into a .380 crimp die.

Down South
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't understand why the brass would have a lip on the neck to begin with especially after resizing it. It appears to have been shot from a pistol with a screwed up chamber from looking at the shoulder. The resizing die should have taken care of that lip though. Anyway the crimp stage should take it out.

Jim
01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Do you suppose the previous loader ran it back through the F/L die after loading? Maybe to reduce a case bulged by an oversized boolit? I dunno, I'm just throwin' darts here. Or maybe used the wrong F/L die to deprime?

Down South
01-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Do you suppose the previous loader ran it back through the F/L die after loading? Maybe to reduce a case bulged by an oversized boolit? I dunno, I'm just throwin' darts here. Or maybe used the wrong F/L die to deprime?
The OP thinks it's once fired. Probably so since it's a 9 and range pick up.

Dannix
01-09-2011, 11:45 PM
It's once(?)-fired brass. I got about 3k, mixed headstamp, while back from someone on the swap/selling subforum here. I'm pretty sure it's from that lot.

The only thing I can think of is that the original owner has a goofed chamber...except I'm seeing this with only the Speer cases. (The Speer brand accounted for about 100 cases. Maybe 8 or so brands are present. When the the seller said the lot was mixed, he meant it). What ever lot it comes from (I've made a few 3-5k mixed lot purchases), these Speers are the only cases with the slight "neck/throat" issue.

If you look closely at the pics (perhaps the last one is the best), the "neck" is no longer present on those I've sized. You can still see where the "neck" was from the case color, but it's no longer present. Perhaps it is indeed a situation where the original owner jammed 9mm in a very forgiving .380? Maybe. The original owner/shooter need not be the seller. Perhaps the seller's lot was so mixed because it was range brass he had gathered.

ReloaderFred
01-10-2011, 01:57 AM
There are some pistols that are constructed with a two piece chamber, and that's what you're seeing with this brass. I've encountered it before. I can't for the life of me remember which pistol it is that is made that way, but one of our club members had one and all his brass looked like those pictured.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Cherokee
01-10-2011, 11:12 AM
I have noticed this in some range cases. I processed, loaded and fired them without any problems.

Dannix
01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Fred, was it a Hi Power?
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/TwoPieceBarrels_files/image002.jpg
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9mm_hi_power_reliability.htm
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/TwoPieceBarrels.htm

Thanks for the assurance Cherokee. I'll load 'em up and see how they do.

ReloaderFred
01-10-2011, 05:40 PM
It possibly was, but to tell you the truth, I don't remember. If they were slightly mismatched, that would certainly cause it, though.

Fred