PDA

View Full Version : Why

catmasher
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
why do you guys buy the **** Lee molds?
they are so loose in the handles and I really dont like them, so how come you like them?

mooman76
01-09-2011, 09:01 PM
They are made loose on purpose so the handles float to help with alinement. Not the best design but they work. The moulds are 1/3 the cost of the others and come with handles. Not everyone likes them and there is a learning curve to them. Not everyone can afford allot of $60 moulds but most can afford a few Lee moulds and if it wasn't for Lee allot of people would probably never get into reloading or casting. Myself included.

white eagle
01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't own Lee molds
Mine are Accurate Molds
the name says it all

Texasflyboy
01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
why do you guys buy the **** Lee molds?
they are so loose in the handles and I really dont like them, so how come you like them?

Because one of the reasons we cast is to save money, and unless you're buying lead, powder, primers, or brass, anything else you try to get as cheaply as possible in order to have more money for guns...or ammo.

The less you pay for a mould the more money you have for other components. And for most folks, the most popular answer as to why they cast/reload is to save money.

There is a price point somewhere...not exactly sure where it is... that attracts lots of customers...and higher price points costs you customers. Lee's business model is clearly to win on price. To be the best value for that price point.

I use lots of Lee products and am very happy with them. I also use RCBS, Lyman, and other products that have much higher price points.

But your question was about Lee's bullet moulds. And my answer is that Lee's bullet moulds appeal to a lot of reloaders because they are comfortable with Lee's price point for them.

When folks tire of that price point, they usually feel good about paying more money for higher quality.

That's my opinion. Worth what you paid for it...

:-|

ph4570
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
The Lee 6 holers are the only ones of the species I find favor with.

btroj
01-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Because they work. They have some good bullet designs. They are cheap enough to try a design on a whim. The 6 cav put out a huge pile of bullets fast. I could go on but it would only bore you.

I ask you a question, why do you not buy them? Why do you attack those that do? are the bullets not shooting well enough?

I see you just joined. I might suggest that you learn to word questions more carefully. Had you asked what the positive qualities of Lee moulds are when you have found them to be lacking it would have come across much better.

arjacobson
01-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I usually get my lee moulds for $20 or less(two cav) I now have 6 different molds from lee. I have cast so many bullets with my 45acp molds I could throw them in the garbage and still be money ahead. 38's too. I cannot understand why so many people are slamming lee moulds all the time... It's $20.. I got into casting just because i found an ad for the cheap lee moulds!! If I had to pay more for a mould then I probably wouldn't have got into it. Like everything else if you don't like it....dont buy it... I have had excellent luck with all my lee moulds and like the fact that I can try different bullet types for cheap.. I worked in a machine shop for years and cannot understand how lee can make any money selling 2 cav molds with the handles for $20.. That is one heck of a deal... Sure I have some higher priced moulds and a few on group buy order but will probably always have some lees laying around. For ME they are one of the best deals going....

theperfessor
01-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I can make my own molds, but if Lee has a 6 holer that I like I buy it. $40 and an hour or so of tuning up and I come out ahead of the game.

Even Lee's 2 holers at $20 can make good bullets when lubed properly and used carefully.

Many other brands are better in lots of ways, but none at a price that makes me not even consider making my own.

That's why I buy and use Lee molds.

arjacobson
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I can make my own molds, but if Lee has a 6 holer that I like I buy it. $40 and an hour or so of tuning up and I come out ahead of the game.

Even Lee's 2 holers at $20 can make good bullets when lubed properly and used carefully.

Many other brands are better in lots of ways, but none at a price that makes me not even consider making my own.

That's why I buy and use Lee molds.

I agree with you 100%. Just the thought of machining some blanks for a mould has me looking through the midway catalog.. I hate to say this but it just isn't worth my time when I can buy a complete mould for $20.00...

slim1836
01-09-2011, 09:55 PM
If it were not for Lee and their products, I would never have gotten into reloading or casting. Not everyone has deep pockets. My melting pot, single stage press, dies, & molds are all Lee. Not everyone can start out affording the cream of the crop, some have to start out with less. I must live within my means. I would not be a member of this great site if not for the affordable tools I acquired which have gotten me this far. I refuse to put down those who can afford better than what I've got, but ask only that they allow me into their camp to learn from their knowledge. I do not mean to put anyone down with what I have said, but only ask that they respect what I can afford. I only have to please myself and I am doing that. It is what I enjoy and I am happy with that. I have learned so much from others on this site and am happy to be a member.

Slim

Slim

Jim
01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
why do you guys buy the **** Lee molds?.....

Ya' know, Cat, when you start off like, you immediately put people on the defensive. You might as well insult people on their taste in molds. I've got dozens of molds and only one is NOT a Lee. But don't worry, I won't ask you to use them or shoot any boolits I make with them.

45nut
01-09-2011, 10:08 PM
jeesh,, cabin fever set in ?