PDA

View Full Version : A little help with rifle loads

Frosty Boolit
01-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Can I load cast for rifle rounds without using a "filler". I've been reading many threads and many mention dacron or other fillers but some say nothing at all and maybe they just assume that everyone already knows that there is a filler on the powder. I'd love to use cast boolits in my k-31 but I'm thinking that I'll have to learn a whole other branch of reloading.

Maven
01-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Frosty, You certainly can load for CB's and not use a filler. However, under certain circumstances, they are very useful; e.g., search for Bruce B's tutorial on using dacron filler. Having said that, I rarely use fillers any more and have had no accuracy or leading problems in my rifles in spite of their absence. As for the K-31, there's a wealth of information in our archives about it, for it is a very user friendly rifle IF you size your CB's to fit the bore* and don't mind seating them deeply, i.e., below the neck-shoulder junction. Most of the .30cal. 160gr. - 185gr. cast bullet designs work well in the K-31, as do many of the starting loads and propellants for the .308Win.

Hope this helps you out!

*Most size CB's to .309", but a few need .310" and others .308".

leadman
01-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I have the most sucess without fillers using powders like SR4759, 2400, and 5744 in cartridges the size of 30-06, 7.65X53, 303 British. For smaller cartridges like the 30-30 and 223 without fillers Blue Dot, Unique, etc. have worked well for me.
Using powders like 4895 for reduced loads in 30-06 class cartridges may do better with a filler.

Casting Timmy
01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't use fillers, it seems that you can get advice to either use them or not to use them.

There is a lot of advice on the K31 on this website, I'd really like to have one of those some days and looked at the loads for it a while back.

Have fun loading.

Larry Gibson
01-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Some powders with some weights of bullets do not need fillers. Some weights of bullets with some powders do need fillers for best ignnition and accuracy. It is not an always use them or don't always use them. The simple answer to your question "Can I load cast for rifle rounds without using a "filler". " is; certainly you can. You just need to match the powder and charge to the weiht of the cast bullet. There's lots of info available here and the cast bullet data in manuals lists many such loads. Perhaps not for the K31 but fo similar cartridges use the starting data and work up a lopad just like the rest of us do.

Larry Gibson

excess650
01-09-2011, 11:55 PM
I load cast in the 7.5x55 and don't use fillers. AA5744 is a good powder to start with as its supposed to be insensitive to powder postion. I also use H322, but elevate the muzzle with both prior to firing. I've shot 2 of my 3 K31s quite a bit with cast, and have no intention of shooting jacketed in them at all.

My suggestion for bullets that have the best chance to fit are Lyman's 311644 or 311299 if my recent molds are representative. These will weigh 200-205gr. I also like the tapered Saeco #315 175gr for a middleweight. These all feed from the magazine. I've also shot a 311041, and while its accurate, it doesn't feed.

Casting and learning to load cast IS another world, but can be very satisfying.

largom
01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Cast boolit loads listed in loading manuals seldom require a filler. However, as stated by Larry Gibson, fillers can improve ignition and accuracy. But, they can also be dangerous. Do not add a filler to a load that you have worked up to without a filler. If you deside to try a filler back off the powder charge and work up the load again using the filler.

Larry Miller

Frosty Boolit
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys, are there any books you recommend specifically for loading cast boolits in bottleneck rifle cases?

01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys, are there any books you recommend specifically for loading cast boolits in bottleneck rifle cases?

Yep, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook.