PDA

View Full Version : Redhawk grips

SkookumJeff
01-09-2011, 06:34 PM
I have a Ruger Redhawk with the 4" barrel. It came with the factory rubber grips, I think these grips are made by Hogue for Ruger. I don't like them, they just don't get the job done. With full bore loads I feel like the gun is going to fly out of my hands unless I keep a death grip on it. Can anyone recommend a different rubber grip for this revolver? I'm especially interested in anyone who's used the Pachmyr grips on the Redhawk.

SkookumJeff

winelover
01-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I tried the Pachmyr as well as the after market Hogue's on my RK. They were an improvement over the older all wooden grips because they covered the backstrap but I finally settled on the Uncle Mike's rubber grips. They have more palm swell than the latter. However, they are not offered anymore. Look for a used set.

Winelover

runfiverun
01-09-2011, 09:44 PM
i really like the pachmeyer presentation grips.
especially on my super mag wessons.
they are about as hard to find as a b-square scope mount [for the wessons] nowdays though.
but that little filler under the trigger guard saves the knuckle.

softpoint
01-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I have a 4" Redhawk. I put the Pachmayer Decelerator grips on it. They are softer than the regular Presentation grips. [smilie=s:

Randall
01-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Like winelover the uncle mikes are the best I have found. wish they would bring the line back.

Heavy lead
01-09-2011, 11:37 PM
I've got a set of older Pachmayer signature grips I'll sell you, don't use them, like the roll of the Badger Corian grips for mine, they're smooth and hard, but they work for me. The Pachmayer's are fairly soft rubbe, but not as soft as Hogue rubber and cover the backstrap, some guys like that feel, doesn't work for me though.

AlaskaMike
01-10-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm with Heavy Lead. I'm not a fan of rubber grips on potentially high-recoiling guns. After a few cylinderfuls of heavy loads they've given me nasty blisters on the palm of my hand, and shooting gloves don't help as much as I'd like.

I've got several sets of Eagle's Oversize grips on revolvers and for a relatively economical custom grip they're really very nice.

Snyd
01-10-2011, 01:58 AM
We've been talking about this over at rugerforum.com. Here's my take on it:

I think how the grip fits your hand is more important than the material their made from. The hogues that came on my 4" Redhawk did not fit my hand and set the gun cockeyed which put the recoil on my thumb joint plus they pulled my little finger down. The pachmeyer decelerators don't have enough palm swell which makes it harder to keep control of with heavy loads and they pull my little finger way down which makes it difficult to get a good consistent grip. The Ruger factory wood Redhawk grips actually aren't too bad but are slippery and no fill behind the trigger guard. I ended up with these Nill Griffe grips which are much better than all the others I've tried. Very nice quality, fit and finish is as perfect as you can get. I got them off ebay for about half retail. There are still some available I think. Pics are a little fuzzy but you can get the idea of how the fit, etc.

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_04.jpg
http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_05.jpg
http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_06.jpg
http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_07.jpg

SkookumJeff
01-10-2011, 02:56 AM
I like the looks of these grips, they look like they are just what I'm looking for. I found them on Ebay and looked up the company too. The only thing stopping me from getting a set is that my RH is a working gun, it gets exposed to a lot of wet weather here in western Washington when I'm in the field hunting and scouting. Do you think these grips will hold up to this kind of use/abuse?

Snyd
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
My gun is a working gun as well. The grips are walnut. I suppose if I were to throw the gun in the rocks I may damage them. I really don't see it as an issue....Just cuz they look purdy don't mean they aren't tuff... :) Lots of wood stocked rifles and handguns have seen some weather.

SkookumJeff
01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I see you are up towards the land of the midnight sun. If these grips are holding up well for you, should work for me. I"m ordering a set. Thanks pard.

SkookumJeff

big dale
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I have never have never had a Redhawk with a barrel that shoet. Both of my 5.5 inch barrels, the 44 and the 41 wore the Pachmeyer Gripper grips and I liked them so much that when I bought a Super Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel I put some of the Pachmeyer Decelerator grips on it. No complaints and I found that if I load up that 44 pretty heavy and with the 310 grain boolit,and I put the scope on the gun then the recoil seems a bit less.

I liked the gold bead front sight with the shallow v notch for the rear with either of the 5.5 inch barrel guns for the bowling pin games. I wish that club was still going, we had a kot of fun with that game for a few years.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

SkookumJeff
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I remember the pin shoots. Those were popular around here back in the 80's & 90's, I knew a lot of guys that attended. I don't know if they're still happening anymore, I don't think so. It's too bad, I never shot them back then, but I'd sure like to participate now.

I wonder why they quit? Run out of pins...LOL?

SkookumJeff