PDA

View Full Version : Another passing observation

Harter66
01-09-2011, 05:40 PM
I was reading around a bit and found.......... well a musefull conflict.

1st we scoure every trace of copper from the bore so we don't sick any of the boolit to the bore.

The we cast and size that size that seals just so and lubed with our own special wonder lube,with the often copper gas check that grips the rifling and protects the boolet from high pressure gasses and "scrapes"away the leading..........so the gas check made of copper rubs along the bore and rifling we just scoured all of the copper off of so the lead doesn't stick?????

Just an observation of the hhuummmmmmm sort , conundrum if you will.

DIRT Farmer
01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Well I have found that shooting a moderate load, 1000 to 1200 fps with a very soft lube will clean fouling better than any thing I have found. So- lubed copper cleans copper?

wallenba
01-09-2011, 06:55 PM
HMmmmm... It begs the question too of fouling deposits from aluminum gas checks. I've got a checkmaker on the way from Pat and plan to make mine from aluminum sheet. Anyone out there using aluminum checks have any issues? Sorry Harter66, I kinda hijacked it a bit here, but it's along those lines.

theperfessor
01-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I will venture the opinion, with no real facts to back it up, that the reason there is very little copper/brass deposited from a properly sized GC bullet compared to a condom bullet is that condom bullets have a lot of bearing surface and are shot through a dry bore and GCs have very little bearing surface and are shot through a lubricated bore. And a gas check is more flexible and can conform to the bore with less force than that caused by the radial expansion forces exerted across the whole body of a condom bullet.

Just my opinion based on basic physics.

btroj
01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
I am with the perfesser on this one. Less bearing surface, a lube film, and lower pressure/ velocity in almost all cases.
I don't worry so much about the scrub all the copper out thing. Maybe for bench rest accuracy or a horribly fouled bore but otherwise I just go shoot cast. I actually find that the cast will remove some copper for me.
Don't over think it. Go shoot and see what work and what doesn't.

Harter66
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Not trying to over think it really just observing. I like my plain base everything,takes 1 more thing out of the work up and a tool off the wish list and bench.

Wallen,
I've read here many times that the aluminum will oxydize,making a substance much like used for sandpaper and grinding wheels,but my thoughts like the perfesser are minimal contact with a lube film inbetween.

There are sooo many things that work for 1 person and not the next.

Lively Boy
01-10-2011, 05:31 PM
so...would it be of any benefit to litely lube a jacketed bullet? just to keep the fouling down? just a thought

btroj
01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Lubing a jacketed bullet? Ever heard of moly coated bullets? That is the entire idea behind them. They have followers who swear by them, others swear at them. Sadly, they introduce new variables into the art of accurate shooting so some people avoid them. They are mostly used in varmit shooting and the competition gun sports. High volume with less cleaning is the idea.

Lively Boy
01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
well i have heard of the molly coated bullets and the so called coating of the barrel with molly.i really do not know any thing about them. i was wondering ...maybe 50/50 alox/beeswax. you know something not to exotic...just one of those hmmm i wonder ...what would happen if.. after cleaning a mosin nagant for several hours and still getting gunk out of the barrel...

firefly1957
01-11-2011, 07:29 PM
You could always paper patch then you have no conflict.

giz189
01-13-2011, 12:21 AM
You could always paper patch then you have no conflict. Amen FF57:lovebooli

runfiverun
01-14-2011, 01:46 AM
i'd be more inclined to try castor oil.
you need to be careful of oil in the bbl.

geargnasher
01-14-2011, 02:03 AM
I will venture the opinion, with no real facts to back it up, that the reason there is very little copper/brass deposited from a properly sized GC bullet compared to a condom bullet is that condom bullets have a lot of bearing surface and are shot through a dry bore and GCs have very little bearing surface and are shot through a lubricated bore. And a gas check is more flexible and can conform to the bore with less force than that caused by the radial expansion forces exerted across the whole body of a condom bullet.

Just my opinion based on basic physics.

Lubing a jacketed bullet? Ever heard of moly coated bullets? That is the entire idea behind them. They have followers who swear by them, others swear at them. Sadly, they introduce new variables into the art of accurate shooting so some people avoid them. They are mostly used in varmit shooting and the competition gun sports. High volume with less cleaning is the idea.

I think you both nailed it.

Gear

mroliver77
01-16-2011, 02:13 PM
I have lubed jacketed with a very lite film of alox. I think the 45-45-10 would probably be better. When I clean a gun I will put a very wet patch of Eds Red through the bore after it is spotless. Then one dry patch. This leaves a very lite film of the E.R. in the barrel. Having lanolin in it it has good lube qualities as well as cleaning. So, when I fire a first shot from a clean barrel it is not a dry barrel. I think it helps. The lubed jacketed, I really could not tell.
Jay