PDA

View Full Version : Commercial mold "As Cast" diameters

inthebeech
01-09-2011, 05:02 PM
What have you folks found to be the as cast diameters of the commonly available molds, Lyman, Saeco, RCBS, and Lee? I am looking for the largest diameter among these manufacturers. Please indicate the alloy and caliber you are using as well. I mostly have wheelweights to use and am interested in 44 caliber so am particularly interested in what you fellow 44 shooters are getting out of your molds.
Thanks All,
Ed

Calamity Jake
01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
It's pot luck with commercial mold makers, but Saeco and RCBS seem to be the best
with Lee comming 3rd. You don't want me to talk about Lyman!!!

The one Saeco 44 I have casts at .431 with my mix of 50/50 WW/ Pure, a Saeco 45 SWC also does good at .454 with the same mix.

mooman76
01-09-2011, 09:07 PM
All my Lee mould come in at least the diameter they are designed for and they are the easiest to enlarge. It isn't too difficult to lament them and make them a few thousands bigger. I use straight WWs or softer. Lee cuts theirs on a lath and some others use a cherry to cut them. Lyman tends to use the cherry too long and as it gets worn down the mould comes out smaller.

theperfessor
01-09-2011, 09:10 PM
+1 to what Calamity Jake said.

Mal Paso
01-10-2011, 01:28 AM
I have 2 Lyman 429421s made 2 months apart, both exactly the same size, too small. My NOE mold purchased through this forum casts .433+ and the quality was excellent. BABore is on My list and if you move quick there is a group buy going on right NOW. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95468 I don't plan on buying any more "commercial" molds when there are some Great Mold Makers Here.

geargnasher
01-12-2011, 01:01 AM
If you want a mould that fits your gun, go ahead and spend the money to get a custom mould made by an outfit that uses CNC lathe technology instead of traditional cherries. That way it will be guaranteed to cast the size you need. I've given all the traditional manufacturers the boot and go with a maker that specifies alloy and "as cast" size on the order form, WELL worth the money. With .44 Magnum, I need a boolit that casts a minimum of .4320" and the only way to get that was to have a Lyman mould's driving bands enlarged about four thousandths. I will NEVER buy another Lyman product.

Gear

RobS
01-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Lee tends to cast out at stated diameter or a .001" or so over.

RCBS tend to cast out .001-.002 over

Saeco tend to cast out at or over .001-.003

The three above have been with WW alloy

Lyman.................hit and miss, but lately tend to run undersized, undersized, undersized

Custom mold makers will cast out at or .001 or so over and is guaranteed and will be from a certain alloy as specified