PDA

View Full Version : Help???????????????

swampmaster
10-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Hello I just Picked up another bunch of Moulds that I really didnt need but one of the moulds is a Ideal 452505 Harvey I think it is supposed to use a Zinc disc on the bottom before you pour the mould.Is there anyone that still makes the zinc discs or a tool that can make them or was there a major flaw in this design?

Or will it hurt or help anything using these as cast with out the Disc?

Buckshot
10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
.................I believe CH-4D still offers the washers.

................Buckshot

beagle
10-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Somebody else as well...Sport Flight maybe. I got some imfo and I'll see if I can dig it up./beagle

imashooter2
10-31-2006, 12:17 AM
I'd say the major flaws are you have to put a zinc washer into a hot mold for every pour and you contaminate your reclaimed lead supply with zinc...

floodgate
10-31-2006, 12:36 AM
swampmaster:

Jim Harvey introduced these Prot-X-Bore zinc washer based designs in the late 1950's (actually a take-off on the old Civil War Williams bullet, a Minie ball that had a cupped zinc washer riveted to the base, to scrape out lead and fouling when fired). Since zinc is "antagonistic" to lead (i.e.; the opposite of tin, which bonds well with lead), the washer was intended, not only to scrape the bore, but also to lay down a zinc film that would deter future leading. As imashooter says, they were a nuisance to cast (I helped a neighbor with his when they first came out); also, they required just the "right" match to bore / groove diameter. Without the washer, leading would be a problem (though Lee Liquid Alox might do the trick); Harvey advised care in crimping into the front drive band, as this might enlarge it enough to drag on and lead the bore, a problem he had also with his "Half-Jacketed Jugulars" (for which Lyman also made the core moulds).

Jim Harvey was last seen pursuing a bear into the Alaska brush around 1960, and his Lakeville Arms Co. closed down. But - as noted above - the washers have been available at times from other sources, though I don't have any address handy just now.

There is a writeup on these on pp. 90-91 of the 1958 First Edition Lyman "Handbook of Cast Bullets", and your 190-gr. SWC #452505, for the .45ACP and AR, is pictured in silhouette on p. 159 (a footnote on p. 90 says: "NOTE: to be shot as cast from mould without sizing"). It is also shown in a photo on p. 230 top row, second from left, in the 1973 Second Edition "Cast Bullet Handbook" (yes, Lyman did switch the title around), with the same 190-gr. weight in No. 2 alloy, and taking the #203 lube-sizer top punch; you can see it on CASTPICS / Research & Data / Lyman Moulds.

floodgate

Frank46
10-31-2006, 05:29 AM
Try corbin swaging they just might have what you are looking for. I seem to remember (CRS) that they were making the zinc washers for those bullets. Hope this helps. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
I think Corbin make their own version of it with a copper base which has a hole in the middle and they swage it onto a lead bullet. The thiing is shaped and when it i swaged, it flattens out and a bit f lead is extruded through the hole acting as a sort of rivet. They may also make the washers you are looking for. Mick.

swampmaster
10-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Well thanks for the info so far, but also so far I have not been able to find them and might be best to put it on a auction for a collector if there are any.
I like the Corbin design but wont work for this mould as is and for the price it costs more than gas checks. Lesson learned is not to trade for moulds that you know very little about

floodgate
10-31-2006, 11:53 PM
swampmaster:

I'm not exactly a collector, but I am interested in unusual Lyman moulds. If you'll quote me a price in a PM for the blocks (I have plenty of handle sets) via Priority Mail, maybe I can take it off your hands.

floodgate

gutshot_again
11-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/45-Caliber-Pure-ZINC-Gas-Checks-1000-45-Long-Colt_W0QQitemZ220035501548QQihZ012QQcategoryZ71113 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

floodgate
11-05-2006, 08:38 PM
swampmaster:

I was looking for something else and ran across a stash of a couple dozen of the .452" zinc washers, if you want to try out your mould. PM me if interested, and I'll mail you a few.

floodgate