PDA

View Full Version : Possible to imprint/stamp boolits?

theTastyCat
01-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Hey all - just wondering if anybody has any experience with imprinting or stamping a boolit. I'm thinking maybe on the base of the boolit or perhaps even around the circumference. Would be fun - might lessen accuracy or be a pain, but just wondering what the collective wisdom was.

Many thanks!

JJC
01-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Might work with a punch set. Put some pressure without damaging the boolit. I thought about the same thing. I use markers and different colors during testing, acww htww ect. As an asside, a butcher has a collection of recovered bullets. The Trophy bonded bear claws were the most consistant he has pulled out of meat. They have a T on the base, he hunts with trophy bonded bullets. Don't know if I would mark anything other than the base but test it out. Let us know. John

theTastyCat
01-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Great idea - I'll report back if I have any success!

jmh54738
01-09-2011, 01:54 AM
I routinely mark the bases of cast bullets that are shot into snow banks and picked up in the spring for examination. This only works on those bullets under which i have placed a 1/16 LDPE wad. Other wad materials are untried. With reference to rifles and extruded tubular powders, the bullet bases are severely impacted by these mini-logs, if a wad is not used. In this case, my marks do not remain.

tommygirlMT
01-09-2011, 03:08 AM
<snip>

anybody has any experience with imprinting or stamping a boolit

<snip>

wondering what the collective wisdom was.

<snip>

If you do for your own records or to keep track of loads --- etc. --- I have no problem with and you go ahead and have fun

If you think your going to make me do it --- i.e. microstamping --- your name will be what I stamp on the boolit

Not trying to be a witch with a "b" --- just making something very --- very --- very --- clear that I think needs to be made clear

waksupi
01-09-2011, 03:18 AM
It may work for an individual gun to make a small mark in the center of the base, if you were only firing a limited number of firearms, where bullet recovery was possible.
For widespread use like some in the government wanted to do, it is a total joke. Just the data base needed would be staggering. That was just plain retarded thinking on their part. Unworkable from the word "GO".

I'm with Tommygirl. Try to make it a requirement, and YOU will be the target.

deltaenterprizes
01-09-2011, 07:37 AM
What would be your purpose? I thought about a trademark when I did commercial casting.

Jim
01-09-2011, 09:08 AM
My first thought was parallel to Delta. What is the end goal?

Wayne Smith
01-09-2011, 09:28 AM
It used to be, and I guess probably still is, common to lightly punch the nose of the boolit mold, one or two or three ... to identify from which cavity each boolit originated. This leaves tiny dimples on the nose, and we know minimal "damage" to the nose has absolutely no effect on accuracy. Damage to the base does.

buck1
01-09-2011, 09:40 AM
It used to be, and I guess probably still is, common to lightly punch the nose of the boolit mold, one or two or three ... to identify from which cavity each boolit originated. This leaves tiny dimples on the nose, and we know minimal "damage" to the nose has absolutely no effect on accuracy. Damage to the base does.

I punch my mold noses the same way. Great for loading not for recovery .

theTastyCat
01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
WHOA there - I don't have any black helicopters, and if I did I wouldn't land them in your backyard. As I originally said, this would be for fun, not governmental oppression. I know we're all a little sensitive to backdoor gun control attempts, but I'm one of us.

I'm on a shooting team, and I know the guys would think it was really cool if I stamped our team initials on bullets somewhere. It would be nice if it was visible when the round was loaded, but I think the base might make more sense. Recovery doesn't matter.

Many thanks for the wisdom.

mdi
01-09-2011, 01:55 PM
If I was gonna mark my boolits like this, I'd swing away the sprue plate and stamp the base, then drop the boolit from the mold. It may be useful in identifying a boolit prior to loading...

theTastyCat
01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Great idea, mdi.

deltaenterprizes
01-09-2011, 02:12 PM
I thought about having the punch for the lubrisizer engraved to leave a light mark on the base as the bullet pushed through the Star sizing die.
Something similar could be done to make a mark on the nose or base in a lyman/RCBS type die.

tommygirlMT
01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Now that I know what the goal of the OP is --- that makes a lot of sense Delta --- You gota size the boolits anyway --- mize well make the marking and sizing be the same step

One could probably just turn one of the punches out of those 34 peice (26 letters alphabet + numbers 1 through 8 (flip 6 over to make 9 and the O doubles for a zero)) punch sets and turn down the diameter of the shank of whichever letter one wanted to use to match a Lyman top punch shank and then cut down the length and chuck it in --- would nose mark the boolits as they were sized --- Id much rather do it with the nose then the base since imperfections of the nose affect accuracy less then imperfections of the base

EDK
01-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Way back when in the Applegate/Fairbairn (sp?) era of the Shanghai China Police Department of the 1920s and 1930s, their multiple issue calibers had some sort of mark on the base of the full metal jacket ammunition. I don't know if it was effective, but it always stuck in my memory. Depending on your ethnic group and physical size, you had a revolver or auto in varying calibers.

Obviously, some un-informed anti-gun politicians picked up on the idea of serial numbers on ammunition...kind of the same vein as shelf life on primers and powder or the cartridge casing included with your new pistol. Would they want a boolit mould made to mark your castings...register your mould....If nothing else, it would decrease unemployment since they'd have a million people doing the paperwork/computer entries.

It is amazing that people who don't know a d*** thing about something can come up with such stuff...and try to make it into law. Sometimes I'm really happy that I'm 62 instead of 22 as I watch the way the country and economy "progress" or maybe "fall apart" would be a better description!

Ancient Chinese Curse....MAY YOU LIVE IN INTERESTING TIMES

:Fire::cbpour::redneck: