PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Temptation...

Uncle R.
10-30-2006, 02:02 PM
And I gave in.
:roll:
Wandering the aisles of a local show yesterday I ran across a model 70 in .270 that was just too nice to resist. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a model 70A since it has no floor plate. Nice walnut stock with pretty well executed hand cut checkering and the usual three position safety. Condition is perfect - although there was no box or papers it appears new. The style appeared to be 70s vintage to my inexpert eye. (I like those older stocks with a bit more wood and a more pronounced cheekpiece than the newer "classic" styles.) It came with a Leupold dovetail base and rings, all for $385 after a bit of wrangling. I let him keep the cheap Bushnell scope it was wearing - he seemed to want it lot more than I did. :-D A check of the Blue Book after I brought it home confirms that it was made in 1974.
Given the current attempts by many dealers to create frenzy over New Haven Winchesters it seemed like a pretty good price, but I'm woefully behind the market lately. What do you guys think? Did I do good?
:roll:

Jack Stanley
10-30-2006, 08:46 PM
For a like new rifle ? ..... yeah , I can't see how you'd get hurt on that deal :-D Comparing it to many of the new rifles that are available might be a good thing .

Jack

Four Fingers of Death
10-30-2006, 10:33 PM
One they sold here without the floorplate was a 670 if I remember rightly, I picked up a post 64 Model 70 in 22/250 real cheap recently, it is a nice rifle. I'd like one in 270 though. With the cheap new rifles on the market there does not seem to be the market for second hand rifles any more, I have seen some real cheap stuff lately (and have failed to resist). Mick

carpetman
10-31-2006, 01:27 AM
My Model 70 Westerner has no floorplate. It is not walnut--but they try to make it look like it. Not hand cut checkering either--stamped.

9.3X62AL
10-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I think you did just fine--price paid for rifle condition you describe. Give that critter a good range day--and good glass.

fourarmed
10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I recently got a M70 .270 with an overmolded synthetic stock without a floorplate. It was one made to sell through WalMart. Came with a cheap Simmons scope. After a little fiddling and a scope change, it turned out to be my most accurate rifle. Later, I found an HS Precision stock in Cabela's "Bargain Cave" (Ha) for $75, tricked up an aluminum floorplate, and put it on. I get inch groups at 200 yards every once in a while. The guy who sold it to me was a master salesman. He said "I'll let it go for a dollar per thousandth of bore diameter." I tried to convince him it was a .243, but he wouldn't go for that.

Uncle R.
10-31-2006, 02:55 PM
I think you did just fine--price paid for rifle condition you describe. Give that critter a good range day--and good glass.

Yeah - that's the plan. I'll get it out to the range soon - certainly within the next two weeks or so - and try it out. Surprisingly, this is the first .270 I've actually owned although I've always admired the cartridge and considered it about ideal for open-country deer hunting. By some strange twist of fate (or barter) there are two boxes of Hornady factory loads in my cabinet, and they'll be the first to foul the bore. There's a set of Pacific dies on the shelf picked up years ago for whatever reason, so I'm all set except for the scope. It seems I'm always short on scopes. :-? I'll probably pull a scope from a different rifle for the initial testing, and if the "new" Winchester shows any promise I'll have to start saving my lunch money for some good glass. I can't wait to see how it shoots...
:-D

C1PNR
10-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Years ago I bought a Model 70 in .270 from a friend who needed money. It was very similar to yours, but it does have the hinged floor plate. Only problem, discovered later and which he didn't know either, was the stock was cracked just behind the recoil lug.

I've since had it bedded with the metal stuff, I don't remember exactly what now (CRS acting up again:roll: ), but just haven't put the bases, rings, or scope on it (I'm also in need of some more quality glass).

These older Winchesters came with a pretty heavy 22" barrel for a sporter, and I like how my '72 or so vintage '06 shoots. SWMBO doesn't like the idea much, but that .270 really needs a good 3.5 - 10 x 40mm Leupold.

Maybe if I cash in my empty bottles I can send a money order, so it doesn't show up on the checking account.[smilie=1: