PDA

View Full Version : Oh my !

Charlie Two Tracks
01-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I just got back from an indoor shooting range. I have always shot my revolvers and shotguns out at my brothers farm but he sold the farm just last month. I went to this shooting range and it cost $14.00 per hr. ! I ain't used to that. Anyway, on the way out, I asked the owner is he had any lead to sell. He told me that three times a year he cleans it out and the last time he took out 3 tons of lead. He said the recycler gave his .30 a pound for it. I told him to give me a call when he was ready to clean it out again and I'd better the offer. He was pleased with that and so am I. No one had asked him about his lead. This is in a big city also. Weird. He just cleaned it out a couple of weeks ago :groner:[smilie=b:

Charlie Sometimes
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
So, you've got about 4 months to come up with your first payment, and locate space to keep +/- 6000 lb of range lead, and find a way to transport it from the range to the storage location. He will expect you to want the next 2 clean-outs as well, since you offered a better price. So $6000 or more for 18,000 lb of mixed lead?

If you intend to separate the lead from the bullets with jackets, you might be able to sell that copper and regain some on your initial investment. Sell the remaining range lead for twice (or a little more) what you paid to cover your expenses, and still might be less than going market rate, but doubles your money. :smile:

Could this could prove to be a lucrative venture? :confused:

You had better start taking orders and deposits here, NOW. :grin:

runfiverun
01-08-2011, 06:58 PM
i'd call the scrap yard he just took it to, and see what they want for it.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Stinkin scrap yard won't sell to the public. Next January it becomes illegal to deal in lead in Illinois. Five more years till I retire and it is OUT of Illinois for me.

Charlie Sometimes
01-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Next January it becomes illegal to deal in lead in Illinois.

TOTALLY? :twisted:
Wow, some of our local gene pools REALLY needs a good dose of chlorine!
I just wonder if that would be enough, or have they have mutated to where it wouldn't effect them, like some other less than desireable bacteria have? :sad:

If you can't "deal" in it at all, what are the electric cars going to use to store their energy?
For those that have some, what will be the way in which (IF they should want to) diispose of it then?
Sounds to me that the only purposeful way to "dispose" of it will be to expell it out the end of a rifle or pistol barrel!
"I shot a bullet in the air, and hopefully, a carbon trading, tree-hugging, "environmentalist" fell to earth somewhere." :lol:

Charlie Two Tracks
01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
The law is worded kind of strange. (imagine that). I guess we will have to see how it plays out. Brass, primers, powder and lead are my main concerns right now. I have an old 1897 Winchester 16 ga. shotgun over 100 years old that I may sell to get more components.

fryboy
01-09-2011, 03:41 PM
considering your locale ... i'm sure that there is a fair bit of frangible in the mix ie; sintered iron and whatnot etc
and sadly i see the non-saleability of lead as an approach to take away our ammo , i think i read somewhere that lead while harmful after a bit of time turns to lead oxide which isnt so harmful but that doesnt further their agenda etc
i'd also bet that one could negotiate a reduced price and more frequent clean out if one was to supply the needed labor to do so , if not it's a idea that has merit [shrugz]

Boolseye
01-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Range lead is good stuff, outdoor or indoor. All the stuff I've got has a bhn of between 9 and 10.

a.squibload
01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
...i see the non-saleability of lead as an approach to take away our ammo...

Backdoor gun control, no ammo no "gun violence".
We'll be talking saboted ball bearings soon, or some such.
Anyone looking into casting with depleted uranium?

felix
01-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Depleted uranium. Four big ones: Politics prevents it use; Won't melt at our home temps; Guns will have excessive twist, but won't hurt accuracy in the least, and will give double, plus more, the range for same; No expansion what-so-ever, hollow point or not, at customary velocities. In addition, there will be no loading tables for the inexperienced reloaders. But, on the flip side, the Hornets will be able to shoot any catalogued boolit with their 16 twists. ... felix

lwknight
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM
sadly i see the non-saleability of lead as an approach to take away our ammo [shrugz]

Thats why I preach hoarding. Well.. that and the dollar devaluation thing.

RP
01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I got some range lead which was outdoor if that makes any diff . But I smelted it BTW it takes more heat and longer time to get it going and and it will pop so use a lid. But what I trying to say is I sold the jackets off the lead and made some good money.

edsmith
01-09-2011, 09:44 PM
the nips used wooden bullets at the end of the war.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Buy dowel rods while you can!

Charlie Sometimes
01-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Melt down the old trophies you have- they were die cast way back when.
Dowel rod, glue sticks, ball bearings, marbles, salt, cracked corn- what else will be on the next want list at the local sporting goods store? :confused: