PDA

View Full Version : Marlin lever guns

01-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Anyone have an idea when Marlins will be available again. I was told that after Remington bought them out they shut two plants down. Is this true? I want a 1894 38 357.
Warren

Ranch Dog
01-08-2011, 11:27 AM
The NY manufactured rifles have started to surface. Might have to look around. My local dealer doesn't not charge a FFL fee if he cannot get you what you want. I do always give him a $20 bill though. I know NY 1894C are showing up on GunBroker and I just bought a NIB CT made 1894C from a GB seller for $510.

bigted
01-08-2011, 12:28 PM
what in the sam hill is going on here??????? is nothing safe or reverant in the gun world anymore? glad i have the guns i have now as looks like the price just hiked overnite if all this is true.

northmn
01-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Remington did not buy Marlin, they are now both owned by a larger company. I do not believe Remington has any control over Marlin. Sorry cannot remember the company name.

DP

Gee_Wizz01
01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
The new Marlin rifles made in the New York plant have REP stamped on the barrel, which is Remingtons mark. The Marlins made in New Haven/North Haven CT have JM , Marlins stamp on the barrel

G

northmn
01-09-2011, 11:45 AM
They are both owned by Freedom Group, but reading Marlins news releases it does sound like Marlin is being controlled by Remington. At least they are consolidating manufacturing which is why the current situation exists. Whether this is bad or good we will have to see.

DP

01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Went to the gun show last weekend saw several 44 mags a few 45 LC and one nice 32-20 cowboy $950.00. It's still there.
Warren

Ziptar
01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Went to the gun show last weekend saw several 44 mags a few 45 LC and one nice 32-20 cowboy $950.00. It's still there.
Warren

Went to one also on Saturday. I saw a whole bunch of over priced Winchester 1894s, an 1895GG for $650 that was rough and a pre-safety Marlin 1894 .44Mag in great shape for $350.

As far as I know the Winchesters and 1895 are still there. The 1894 now lives with me. Initially I offered $275, We shook hands at $300 with a soft case and a 50 round box of ammo thrown in.

Combat Diver
01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Marlin lever guns are made in the Remington Illon NY plant, .22 rifles and centerfire bolt guns are made in the Mayfield KY plant.

pietro
01-12-2011, 12:04 AM
It's hard to tell the players, w/o a program.

AFAIK:

Once upon a time, there were separate companies known as Remington, Marlin, H&R, Cerebus & Bushmaster.

Then, H&R became NEF.

Later, Marlin bought H&R/NEF - but kept their production where it was.

Also, Cerebus bought Remington & Bushmaster, keeping Bushmaster in Maine.

Then, The Remington Division of Cerebus bought Marlin/H&R/NEF - and the H&R/NEF Mass plant was closed, production moving to CT.

Freedom Group then took over ownership from Cerebus - and Bushmaster was closed down, Remington introducing their AR a year later...............

THEN, Remington closed the CT Marlin/H&R/NEF plant, moving production to NY and the Carolinas.

Last year, Remington split Marlin's production, opening a new plant in KY.

FWIW, S&W's starting the same thing, announcing the closing of the T/C plant in NH, and moving "some" production to Mass. (maybe).

That says nothing, of course, of the periphial damage along the way, of all the long-time employees at the various locations kicked to the curb if they couldn't/wouldn't relocate, or their job got "disappeared".

Airborne Falcon
01-14-2011, 10:20 PM
It was a mess for sure - and the New Haven plant closed last October officially if I remember correctly. I managed to get one of the last 338 MXs out of there before they did.

Too bad too - because it was a union free shop and a lot of good people worked in that plant. None of them went to NY, or so the service manager up there told me in the waning days.