PDA

View Full Version : Powder puff load for .40s&w

Stick_man
01-08-2011, 01:03 AM
I am looking for a good powder puff load in .40s&w to run in my M&P. Would prefer one for using a 175gr TC, but am open to other options. Does anybody have any recommendations? It is to help get my daughter comfortable shooting the .40 and she hasn't shown any interest in shooting until just recently.

Thanks in advance.

Ford SD
01-08-2011, 01:54 AM
there was one just last month on light loads in the 40 S&W
I made a post with a link to a online/gun mag article

some of the loads power factor go as low as a 9MM

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97928

you will have to try the loads for your self to get the best function

if you go to low and have fail to extract or to pick up a new round you will have to go hotter or go to a lower power recoil spring so don't make up too many to start

your new shooter might have more problems than you will with the same load

Stick_man
01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out. I totally missed that thread when it originally posted and it did not show up when I searched on "powder puff".

9.3X62AL
01-08-2011, 11:26 PM
The Lee 175 TC shoots very well for me with 4.0 grains of WW-231, OAL 1.135", WSP primers in W-W cases. This load will run my Glock 23 quite reliably, and lock the slide back when the mag runs dry. The CZ-75B needs 4.2 grains for 100% reliability.

4.7-4.8 grains of WW-231 matches the ballistics of my carry load closely--the W-W 180 grain SXT.

Digger
01-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes , the forty can be a real challenge with it's sharp recoil ...
I can blame the caliber for getting me into reloading in the first place as I wanted to accomplish the same thing with my Keltec 40 , being as small as it is.
Over all go with the lightest boolit you can , maybe a 135 gr and go from there , with that you will be very impressed , and as every one says here , work up from minimal loads as what will function reliably in your pistol with it's spring rates.
I go from the small Keltec to the big Ruger p-91 in forty , what a difference between the two ! ....
With WST ,.. and a Mihec mould in 155 gr , I use 3.8 gr in the Keltec and 4.2 in the Ruger for soft shooting so far , if you want to say such a thing regarding the 40 s+w .
It has been a challenge to find out what works and what doesn't so far and very enjoyable to say the least .
All this goes against the grain for the over all design of the forty from what I understand but doing things different from the norm can be fun in it self ....:lovebooli

digger