PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Boolit Diameter

96wa6
01-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Okay, I've searched but can't seem to find this.

Everyone says 'the boolit should be sized to your revolver's cylinder throats.'

Okay, I give.

Does that mean it barely slides through the throats or that it barely doesn't or that it doesn't by more than barely?

Marcus

felix
01-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Harder the boolit, the closer the fit, and should barely does NOT go through the largest hole. Softer the boolit, the fit should be relaxed, and should barely DOES go through the largest hole. The idea is to allow ZERO pressure blowby while boolit is within the cylinder, keeping in mind that everything expands under pressure. However, we do not want to over expand the boolit as to distort it out-of-round in any way. Not possible, but that is desired while keeping distortion to a minimum. ALWAYS USE STARTING LOADS WHEN FITTING BOOLITS THIS CLOSE, AND THEN INCREMENT UPWARDS WHEN ALLOWABLE BY CAREFUL INSPECTION FIRST. STOP WHEN PERFORMANCE IS ACCEPTABLE, AND DO NOT BE ATTEMPTED TO GO FURTHER. ... felix

Gunsmoke4570
01-08-2011, 01:44 AM
I generally try to size to match the diameter of the largest chamber throat. With WW material that works for me.

MtGun44
01-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Cyl throat diam should be measured with a machinists pin gage set. Then size the
boolit to that diam or +.001 for a good start. +.002 is usually real fine, too.

Absent the pin gages, drive a slug thru the DISMOUNTED cylinder (you'll damage the
crane otherwise) and measure it.

Bill