PDA

View Full Version : Ruger S/A barrel removal

white eagle
01-08-2011, 12:48 AM
what does it take to remove a barrel from a Ruger Blackhawk ?
I have a barrel vise would I just need an action wrench ?
who would make a good replacement barrel I was thinking of 44 mag or possibly 45 colt

leftiye
01-08-2011, 01:18 AM
I'd say an action wrench, and a barrel vise of some kind. Them Ruger SA barrels are really on there!

looseprojectile
01-15-2011, 01:14 AM
I removed a .357 Ruger flattop barrel and set it back one thread to tighten the cylinder gap. Don't remember it being too tough. If you have some way to hold the barrel and use a really hard two foot long one by two, oak maybe, through the frame as close to the front as possible it should be no problem. Those Ruger frames are stronger than me. A square stick would put the pressure closer to the front than something such as a hammer handle.
Good luck.

Life is good

bbailey7821
01-15-2011, 11:05 PM
I've done it before with a SBH to shorten the barrel. A barrel vise and a 1x2 hardwood will do it. As I recall, it was a chore to get it loose.

targetshootr
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Some Ruger barrels can be really tight and you can gall the frame. A local smith uses two pieces of padded metal about 1/2" thick on each side of the frame and runs a big bolt through the frame, tightens them up and then uses a monkey wrench of some kind to break the frame loose.