PDA

View Full Version : Lead WW banning wont be as bad...

leadbutt
01-08-2011, 12:34 AM
If they switch lead to zinc for ww it wont be as bad as you think. The tire shops that gives used weights away will still give them away. take them to the scrap and get the money from the zinc and buy their lead. Its a lil more a pita that way but its not hopeless. Aint zinc worth more then lead atm? H3ll guys if it gets that bad we can just strip off the paint from our kids toys that are from China and use that.

L.Bottoms

runfiverun
01-08-2011, 01:04 AM
if they don't have lead to take to the scrap yard, how ya gonna swap for it?
there aren't that many common things lead is used for nowdays.

lwknight
01-08-2011, 01:10 AM
You would not believe all the forms of lead that come in to the recyclers. There seems to be an endless supply. I believe that lead will be showing up for many years from estates and demolition projects.

Zinc and lead prices run pretty close but the recyclers will buy and sell 1/2 for 2 if you are lucky. Some chinzy people offer like 25 cents and sell for over $1.00 .

Jim
01-08-2011, 09:18 AM
If EPA outlaws lead, the scrap yards might not be allowed to sell it to the guy on the street. Don't worry about that, though. Most any plumber or roofer can be bribed with a 12 pak. Claim you're doing business as a fishing sinker mfgr.

arjacobson
01-08-2011, 09:22 AM
roof flashing-xray room lead-and lead water service pipe-etc. Lead is out there..we just have to change the way we kick the bushes!! Contact any local excavation contractors and ask if they will save old lead service lines for you.. I have to pick up a huge supply of old service lines this summer when the snow melts already!! Most contractors are so busy they cannot be bothered to haul in lead for scrap. If you offer to pick it up and even throw some cash their way its a win-win....Roofers are a great source.. I happened to mention that i was into bullet casting to the guy who was building our shop this summer and he said they just hauled over a TON of old roof flashing lead to the scrap dealer.. They are now saving what they get this summer for me though...;-)

fredj338
01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
If EPA outlaws lead, the scrap yards might not be allowed to sell it to the guy on the street. Don't worry about that, though. Most any plumber or roofer can be bribed with a 12 pak. Claim you're doing business as a fishing sinker mfgr.
That is the problem here in SOCal. Most scrap yards don't even have lead products to sell. Pickins is gettin mighty thin out hear.

PatMarlin
01-08-2011, 06:57 PM
They put steel weights on my wheels last month. I kept my lead. They're all using steel in CAL.

Recycle.

madsenshooter
01-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Just yesterday I was reading on some herbal site, said you shouldn't get herbs close to the road because of dust from lead wheellweights! Pshaaa, how about all the years of more biologically active tetraethylead. That I could believe. Dust from lead wheellweights.

white eagle
01-08-2011, 10:37 PM
the worst part of this whole anti lead kick is there are people who truly
believe the trash that is being fed to them
Shame ............

brad925
01-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Well my local garage called me to come get 2 5gal buckets of ww's to feed my habit. i have to pay but that ensures a lead supply and even paying $40 a bucket its still cheap. $40 only gets me a 100rds of rem 405's here. After its smelted down each bucket gets me about 1200rds of 405's. Thats roughly equal to $480 for the same amount in rem 405's. That leaves alot of wiggle room before i am just breaking even and doing it just cuz i like it.