PDA

View Full Version : Case prep

rollmyown
01-08-2011, 12:14 AM
How much case prep do you give new pistol brass? Do you size and trim or just load and shoot? I've found starline brass to be better finished than some winchester and remington brass I've bought recently.

rollmyown

leftiye
01-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Unless it's too loose in the neck (which doesn't happen), or has some other problem, I usually just check case length, deburr the mouth and load. Maybe bell a little, also, they're usually sized too tight, so I might expand them correctly (sizer ball = boolit diameter minus .002".)

c.r.
01-08-2011, 01:12 AM
I size all new brass prior to shooting. I'll take a random sample of the brass that i just sized and check the length. Depending on what the sample shows me determines if i trim to lenth the entire batch. If i trim to length, i deburr as well.

i have good luck with Starline as well.

Phillip
01-08-2011, 01:29 AM
I do a full re-size and look for any issues with new brass. When you buy enough of it, you will be surprised at what you can get in some batches.

runfiverun
01-08-2011, 08:44 AM
i run the champher tool on the inside of the mouth.
then size flair and load.
rifle brass, i like to fire before thinking about trimming unless it's too long.
some cases shrink on the first firing.

shooting on a shoestring
01-08-2011, 09:21 AM
First step I do is chuck up a drill bit in the drill press and de-bur the powder side of the flash hole. The flash hole gets punched through from the primer side and often leaves a bur inside the case that can deflect the primer flash to some degree.

Next step is trimming to get uniform crimps, then size as needed, expand, prime, load, fire, then neck size (for revolvers size about the first 1/3 of the case) then the brass is ready for reloading.