PDA

View Full Version : What ladle?

jeff100
01-07-2011, 04:33 PM
After buying a bottom pour furnace, I had to return it, bit of a story there. That done, since I'll be making big boolits for my 44 & 45 cal. rifles, I've decided to start out ladle casting instead. Old school if that can be said.

What ladle is best? I'm looking at the RCBS/Lyman ladles and have read many comments about them. I had a Lyman ladle on order but the order got messed up and canceled. Back to square one. I'd also been looking at the Rowell bottom pour ladles and they really look like the better tool to me, but I don't have any experience to base my opinion on. So..what would you all recommend? This is keeping me from working, I have everything else I need including lead! I have to get this ordered so I can get to pouring some boolits, but I hate buying the wrong tool and having to replace it later.

Jeff

GLL
01-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Jeff:

I have and use both the RCBS and Rowell versions. I bored out the spout and the shortened the steel shaft on my RCBS and tend to use it most often. If you cast large size bullets in a 6-cavity mould the Rowell might be best. I think you would be happy with either though.

Jerry

GP100man
01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
A ladle is a catch 22 situation biggeris better for holding the temp up but tires your hand/arm faster .
I cast some 38 caliber molds with the Lyman & it`ll handle a 2 holer no problem , if casting with a bigger mold the new square RCBS mite be the ticket or the rowell as GLL suggests

Just my thoughts .

BSkerj
01-07-2011, 10:24 PM
You may want to check out Ebay. They have a couple used ladles up right now. Might be able to save some money. I purchased a Lyman from a gentlemen here and it works great when I use it for my 45/70 molds.

bhn22
01-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I've used both Lyman and RBCS. The RCBS does have a slight edge in capacity, and gets my vote. I also have a #1 Rowell that I only use for smelting. It is exactly what I needed for the task and I highly recommend them. I do feel even the #1 is too big for casting bullets, but many people do use them.

semtav
01-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I learned with a Rowell Ladle a littlke over a year ago. I just spent the last year in Hell, trying to get perfect bullets. Beating my head against the wall, grinding Teeth, waking up to bad dreams. Trying every method I could to turn out good bullets. I would spend hours casting bullets just to get enough almost perfect bullets to shoot in a match.

finally the other day after being frustrated by the imperfect bases on my new Brooks mold, I reached up and got that phony looking little RCBS ladle I bought last year down. The first bullet I cast with it was better than the best I'd ever cast with the Rowell Ladle, and I just cast 200 bullets without 1 reject.

I even got out my big heavy Bernie Rowles Brass mold and went to casting. They all turned out great. I can't believe I just spent the last year with that *** Rowell Ladle.
I literally hated casting, only doing enough to get me by, and shooting junkers in all my testing. the last two days have been pure pleasure.

Skipper488
01-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I've got the Lyman and I like it. I've compared the features and it has everthing the RCBS has plus if you are a southpaw no machining is required, the handle just screws into the other side.

Suo Gan
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I have several ladles, the Lyman and RCBS model are similar in use, personally I prefer the Lyman.