PDA

View Full Version : 32 h&r

HEAD0001
01-07-2011, 07:23 AM
What do you guys think about the 32 H&R in a rifle?? I was wanting to get a Marlin 32-20 for calling raccoons and coyotes in the woods. The problem is the price is pretty high. But then I found some current production Marlin 1894's im 32 H&R. However I know very little about the cartridge. I just think that with a 100 grain cast bullet it would make an incredible rifle for in the woods, and for saving the pelts. What do you guys think about that cartrdiged?? Tom.

Flash
01-07-2011, 07:54 AM
It's been my experience to say that the 32 mag Marlins are more expensive than the 32-20s. The only configuration in the 32 that I ever saw was the octagon barreled rifle, the 1894CB. The ones I found were about $100 higher than i paid for my 32-20 but to answer your question, I think the 32 mag would be an excelent caliber for your purpose. You might even be able to cycle 32 longs in that gun.

excess650
01-07-2011, 08:59 AM
There are guys doing conversions to 32 S&W Long and 32acp, and the 32 H&R is more powerful than either despite its anemic SAAMI spec. It can be warmed up a bit in a stronger than H&R revolver configuration. That said, the 32-20 can do everything the others can do and more. Take it a step further, and the 30-30 can do everything that all of these previously mentioned calibers can and even more. This all assumes reloading and using cast bullets.

I've loaded ultralight loads in my 32-20 that consisted of 2gr Solo 1000 or Clays (?) under the Lee 311-100-2R and/or Lyman 311008 and got sub 1" accuracy at 50 yards with a receiver sight. It takes about 3gr of the same powders with the same bullets in the 30-30 to get round groups(rather than vertical string) at the same distance. I've since shot the 311-100-2R from my 7.5x55 K31 at 25 yards and can see that it will work likewise, and that is 30-06 case capacity.

The point is that it doesn't require that you spend a lot of $ for a dedicated 32 H&R rifle to achieve the performance that you're looking for. It only takes some time at the reloading bench and range. Don't let me talk you out of a Marlin in 32 H&R, though. They're a neat little rifle!

x101airborne
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
I have an origional Winchester octagon barrel in 32-20, and yes it is fun and neat. I just dont carry it much because of what it is. Now I have a "junker" Marlin waffle top (it looks like somebody drug it behind a pickup) but shoots well. For close up, I resize cases, reprime, run 00 buck through a .310 sizing die, and seat them in cases over 2.0gr bullseye with no filler. instant 30 caliber .22 mag. (chrony'd 62 grain boolit at 1200 fps.) This is even my favorite woods rifle now over many others. I carry the chamber wth a 00 buck load and the magzine full of 170gr cast. That 00 Buck load will smash a squirrel's noggin with AUTHORITY. not bad on close up hogs noggins either. Any hog or deer at distance, cycle the action and youre good to go with full power loads. This is not gospel, this is how I do it.

NHlever
01-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Yes! The 30-30 makes a wonderful poor man's 32-20, 32 H&R substitute. The 115 grain flat nose boolits (Lee, Lyman, whatever) over very light charges of fast burning powders do a fine job on small/medium (coyote size) game, and use very little more powder than the 32-20. The guns themselves however are really nice to own, and shoot, and I always have my eye out for a good used 32-20. One of the shops I haunt has a beautiful Browning 53 right now, but I can't see the open sights, and would hate to drill holes in it.

Larry Gibson
01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
The .32 H&R would make a dandy cartridge for what you want. I load for 2 handguns (Ruger 6 1/2" SS and a Contender) and find it to be excelelent. For many years I've preferred an M1 Carbine in .30 carvine that is what high performance 3220 loads do in a rifle. I load the 313631 (GC'd SWC designed for the .32 H&R) to 1940 fps and HP it with a Forster 1/8" tool. It is deadly on called in coyotes out to 150 yards and is also very deadly on jack rabbits. Isn't a bad load for serious social encounters either. I've often contemplated a 20-21" TC Contender barrel in .32 H&R with a 18" twist. ........

Larry Gibson

Fishman
01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
What do you guys think about the 32 H&R in a rifle?? I was wanting to get a Marlin 32-20 for calling raccoons and coyotes in the woods. The problem is the price is pretty high. But then I found some current production Marlin 1894's im 32 H&R. However I know very little about the cartridge. I just think that with a 100 grain cast bullet it would make an incredible rifle for in the woods, and for saving the pelts. What do you guys think about that cartrdiged?? Tom.

Where are you finding these current production Marlins? The 32 mag model was discontinued a while back. Are they making them again? What configuration? Cost?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just interested! :wink:

To help answer your question, I don't have any experience with the 32/20 but I have loaded 32 mag for many years. In a rifle, I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine on coyote sized game. I generally download mine and use cast for a fun plinking load in revolvers.