PDA

View Full Version : Brass catchers

JIMinPHX
01-07-2011, 12:32 AM
I go with a rock simple setup for catching my brass. What does everybody else do?

crabo
01-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Big tarp

Jim
01-07-2011, 03:59 AM
ditto

Artful
01-07-2011, 04:00 AM
depends upon the gun - some I have use one of these
http://www.brasscatchers.com/

imashooter2
01-07-2011, 08:18 AM
For prone or bench shooting:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/brassnet.jpg

unclebill
01-07-2011, 08:54 AM
i have used a big beach umbrella.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-07-2011, 12:15 PM
An old wool army blanket. I get about 95% retention when shooting my 1911, which is as good as I've been able to do with anything else.

Regards,
Everett

Jal5
01-07-2011, 04:19 PM
My latest one is an old piece of tarp attached to suitable long piece of dowel rod (like the kind you use for a flag pole off the deck) it rolls up on the pole. I suspend the end from the top of the bench roof and let it roll down to the ground now the pole attached is resting on the concrete. This way I can find about 95% of the 32 ACP or 9x18 MAK brass those guns sling with a vengeance.

Joe

tackstrp
01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
in alaska i used a large sheet of blue plastic tarp on the snow. or mud which was the case.

down here i general can sweep up off off of concrete floor. I use a doggie poop scooper and small broom. . use the same with in door gun ranges.

Freightman
01-07-2011, 08:13 PM
in alaska i used a large sheet of blue plastic tarp on the snow. or mud which was the case.

down here i general can sweep up off off of concrete floor. I use a doggie poop scooper and small broom. . use the same with in door gun ranges.
With a bag attached to the scooper really saves the back.

RP
01-07-2011, 09:57 PM
I have shot at a gun range that was under a metal garage style roof. I got some strong magnets and just hung a bed sheet down. My brass out of my autos just hit it and slide down no hunting for them. Also works as a shield to keep brass from hitting the guys to my right some of my rifles really toss the brass hard.

btroj
01-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Mine is this large round sphere we live on. Have though of getting one for the 1911 bit so far have just learned to shoot away from chairs and benches. Luckily the range has light gravel for a surface. I have a loss rate of under 1 percent. I even had a day where I came home 10 or so cases ahead!

bigfoot
01-08-2011, 11:15 PM
my ar flat top has a tri rail riser on it , took bottom half of an old scope ring that mounts to the rail and used the screws that squized the rings together and screwed a flat piece of plastic on it, mounted it on the tri rail (over the ejection port ) drops the brass right at my feet!!!
bigfoot

geargnasher
01-09-2011, 02:17 AM
My revolvers don't throw brass. My Kimber .45 hammers me in the bridge of the nose or in the shooting glasses with such regularity that I'd have to put a sack over my head to catch anything (yes, I've tried several different extractor lengths and profiles). My leverguns make a nice pile at my feet, so I just spread out an old woven bedspread and stand in the middle of it. I don't shoot the old Springfield 1911 much, and the M&Ps don't get shot enough to make a catcher, although the bed of the pickup works pretty well.

Who was the fella that was selling the self-contained units that used fiberglass rods, netting, and a 30-cal ammo can? Those were pretty neat, I think I'd try that approach if I were to try and make one.

Gear

Czech_too
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
For use with some of the semi-auto's I use a PVC pipe and screening setup.
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp116/Czech_too/IMG_0561.jpg
This doesn't work with the 1911 but it does help to corral the brass from the CZ-52 & 82. It also helps to keep the HOT brass from other shooters at bay when you place it on the other side of you. Easy to make and better yet cheap. Some lead shot for ballast is needed otherwise the wind tends to blow it over.

Brian

btroj
01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Gear, glad to hear that I am not the only one taking it in the face from a 1911. Mine does it often enough that I have gotten used to it. Luckily I have 3K cases so it doesn't bother me too much to lose a few.
This is why I tell new shooters to get a revolver. My revolvers seem to always eject right into my hand. Weird, huh?
The lever guns can be cycled slow and by putting my hand over the ejection port the go right into my hand too.

bigfoot
01-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Czech too
look n at your brass catcher puts me to think n that may be could use the hillbilly golf game rack to make a brass catcher out of !!!! Zip tie a net to it !! Hummmmm!!! Got the brain work n now

MT Gianni
01-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I bought one on e-bay 7 or 8 years ago. It has an elastic web that fits on your hand and a wire approx. 4"x4" holding a black nylon sack. Surprisingly it stops 85%-95% of my semi-autos both rifle and pistol.