View Full Version : Which Casting Furnace to Buy

Racer X
01-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I am looking to buy a casting furnace. For the money, which one is the best? I am considering RCBS, Lyman or the Lee 20 Lb Production Pot. I was wondering if the Lee is "good enough". If RCBS or Lyman are worth the extra money, I will wait until I can afford one. However, if Lee's are good enough, I would rather not spend the money on a RCBS or a Lyman.

AnthonyB
01-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Racer:
Are you a bottom pourer or ladle caster? I used a Coleman stove and a ladle for years; can't get much cheaper than that. If you are a bottom pourer on a budget, get the Lee 20 pounder. It will likely leak, but so does my Lyman. I have no experience with the RCBS, but do have a Magma 90 pound pot that is the Rolls-Royce of bottom pours IMO. The old 10 pound Saecos are excellent, but capacity is limited.
Tony

rodsvet
01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Racer, buy the best pot you can afford. I've had Lee's and they will get the job done. You will be screwing around with the leakage and lack of volume for larger molds. Lyman leak and freeze up but are better than Lee. RCBS for the home caster is a very good unit. Hardly ever freezes up and holds a good 20 lbs. Flow is adjustable for larger molds. Magma is KING. However, most guys will never need it's capability and it is pricey. If it were me, I would go with the RCBS. All these pots will pour good boolits. Graf and Sons has the RCBS for less than anyone by a lot right now and shipping is only $4.95. The warranty and customer service for RCBS is the best. Good Luck on your decision!! Rod

Cowboy T
01-07-2011, 03:47 AM
I haven't used the Lyman or RCBS pots, but I find the Pro 4-20 certainly good enough to bang out 25,000 boolits in a year. Dripping is easily cured by a little cleaning every, say, 10,000 boolits (I did it for the first time just recently). It's like any other piece of gear. You just have to take care of it.

Racer X
01-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the input. I have had my eye on the RCBS for awhile. I just ordered an RCBS from Graff with the $4.95 shipping. Thanks to Rodsvet. Through the end of January, RCBS has a $50 rebate on orders of $300 or more. The rebate puts the Pro-Melt in the same price range as the Lyman. I also ordered a Lyman dippers. Reviews from Midway say the newer RCBSs are junk.

BSkerj
01-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a older Lyman and it works like a champ...also see the thread above yours about the RCBS.

HighHook
01-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Racer X

You wont be sorry you bought the rcbs. I have been using mine for 30 years and still works like new. temp adjustment is great and never has leaked. over 1 million boolits.

High Hook

1Shirt
01-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Been thru 2 small lees, and a lyman, and have been using an RCBS now for the last 20 years with no problems. Have a second hand lee 20 that I keep as back up. SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP!
1Shirt!

OLPDon
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Have 2 20# RCBS for about 10 yrs never had any problems with either one is for hard cast and other soft lead. Go with the RCBS would be my advice.
Don