PDA

View Full Version : 375 Winchester Contender

2shot
01-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Just picked up a 14" 375 Winchester barrel for my Contender. Was wondering if anybody else has this caliber and how they like it? I always liked the 35 Rem in the Contender but my state doesn't allow bottleneck cases for handgun hunting. I figure I can get similar performance out of this 375 barrel. Anybody willing to share some loads that have worked with their 375 Win Contender?

Thanks
2shot

Irascible
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
This case can be a real frame stretcher, don't get carried away. Even factory ammo is too hot for an original Contender frame, but would be OK in a G2 model.
I like H322 or Reloader 7 powders in mine.

Doc Highwall
01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
I have a 10.5" barrel and have shot Hornady's 220gr with AA1680 powder. Later when I get a chance I am going to experiment with Lyman 375248 and 375449 bullets.

jerry_from_ct
06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I have on 14" MT hunter, a good load to use is the Old Lyman load of 17.0gr of 2400 under a 250 cast; the .375 win is better suited to the G2 rather than the flat-sides due to the pressures. The above load dupes a standard .38-55 loading

I personally like to keep the loads on the lighter sides, Can you shot full power .375's, yeah, the question is why and risk ruining the frame.

One of the claimed problems in the TC .375 is the twist rate, too fast for the 200/220 gr. bullets and the velocity is too low for a jacketed bullet used in the .375 H&H.

It's more of a curiosity than anything else, a collectible now, IMO.

Enjoy................

lathesmith
06-22-2011, 10:51 PM
There's several good articles on this caliber in the Contender, here's one to get you going:

http://www.handgunhunt.com/tech/t20/index.html

375 in the Contender is definitely a handful in the Contender, but can be loaded up or down to tackle most any hunting job.

lathesmith

2shot
06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I've searched for articles on the 375 in the Contender and I could never find them. I was looking for middle of the road loads not max loads and both of you gave me a starting point. Don't want to strech the frame just looking to use this barrel for some deer hunting up to 100 yards or there abouts.

2shot

30calflash
06-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've searched for articles on the 375 in the Contender and I could never find them. I was looking for middle of the road loads not max loads and both of you gave me a starting point. Don't want to strech the frame just looking to use this barrel for some deer hunting up to 100 yards or there abouts.

2shot

There was an article in handloader magazine on the 375 win/contender. Probably about 7-10 years ago. HTH.

jerry_from_ct
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
There was an article in handloader magazine on the 375 win/contender. Probably about 7-10 years ago. HTH.

I actually saved that issue because of the .375 article, I could dig it out if you need some more info.................................

fryboy
06-24-2011, 04:08 PM
rocky raab did an article on the 375 , while i have shot more j-words than cast in mine the boolits are starting to catch up
http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/375%20Win.htm

2shot
06-25-2011, 11:25 AM
I actually saved that issue because of the .375 article, I could dig it out if you need some more info.................................

If you can tell me which issue that was in it would be great. I've been getting Handloader and Rifle magazines since about 1985 and have saved many of them. Hopefully I didn't toss that issue.

2shot

2shot
06-25-2011, 11:28 AM
rocky raab did an article on the 375 , while i have shot more j-words than cast in mine the boolits are starting to catch up
http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/375%20Win.htm

I have tried to go to that site and everytime I do the article flashes on the screen and then within seconds it goes to an all green screen with no words. If I were a speed reader I could probably read the first sentence before it goes all green.

2shot

JUST TRIED FIREFOX AND IT WORKED THANKS !!!

TCLouis
06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
on a frame I bought and I think it was unfired.

When I was told it would not do well with lead, it just went in the safe for some time until someone advertised on another group that he was looking for one.

The deal was cut and within a week or so he posted a group size (coated bullet) for 200 yards that may riflemen could not match at 100. (on Accurate Reloading site I think)

Off he went to Iowa only to not find a willing test subject.

They have been shot on many a standard frame, but like many other calibers,can stretch a frame if design parameters are exceeded.

44MAG#1
06-25-2011, 01:01 PM
If this is a T/C barrel I highly doubt that they would have chambered the 375 Winchester in a Contender barrel if they though that factory loads would stretch the frame.
While there was an idiot that chambered the Encore in 460 Weatherby Mag and a couple that did chamber the contender in calibers that they shouldn't have I seriously doubt the factory did.
They even asked Gary Reeder to stop chambering the Encore for the 300 Win Short Mag after having done so for a while despite his ramblings about how the larger bore gave less back thrust than the smaller cals on the case. 65,000 psi is 65,000 psi anyway you want to cut it.

jerry_from_ct
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
If this is a T/C barrel I highly doubt that they would have chambered the 375 Winchester in a Contender barrel if they though that factory loads would stretch the frame.
While there was an idiot that chambered the Encore in 460 Weatherby Mag and a couple that did chamber the contender in calibers that they shouldn't have I seriously doubt the factory did.
They even asked Gary Reeder to stop chambering the Encore for the 300 Win Short Mag after having done so for a while despite his ramblings about how the larger bore gave less back thrust than the smaller cals on the case. 65,000 psi is 65,000 psi anyway you want to cut it.

IMO, I think it is less about safety with standard lever factory ammo, which is probably fine and more about the potential "hot-rodding" that becomes second nature to most Contender owners.

The acceptable bolt-face pressure for contender capable carts. is, <= 8,000 psi , pick any cartridge for the contender and do the calculation and they always spec. out to that limit.

The .223 Rem actually runs the ragged edge of the limit, where the .30-30 is more forgiving. The .375 factory loads fall within the limit, the .45-70 is actually less stress-full than the .375, at least on the frame, no so much on the shooter.

The .45-70 has probably caused more angst among Cartridge manufacturers than any other, except for the 8 x 57JS possibly, being purposely down-loaded due to the fact it may end up in a trap door action. Hand-loaders can easily improve the specs over factory, the .375 in the Factory loading is already a HP round, a modern .38-55, given the improvements in machining and metallurgy, not much headroom in the pressure department.

IIRC, the slab-side frames that were considered acceptable for the .375 JDJ when first available are now considered not to be.

44MAG#1
06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Jerry said: "IMO, I think it is less about safety with standard lever factory ammo, which is probably fine and more about the potential "hot-rodding" that becomes second nature to most Contender owners."
I said: I don't know that hot rodding the Contender is second nature to most Contender owners unless it is like a cartridge such as a 45 Colt or some such as that. Most know if a cartridge can safely be" upped" if they are a decent reloader that can read the manuals.

jerry said: " The acceptable bolt-face pressure for contender capable carts. is, <= 8,000 psi , pick any cartridge for the contender and do the calculation and they always spec. out to that limit."
I said: You may very well be right about that figure. I would have to figure on that. But that sounds right. But any one that can do simple math can figure what the chamber pressure of a round would have to be for their case head area to to produce that pressure.

Jerry said: "The .45-70 has probably caused more angst among Cartridge manufacturers than any other, except for the 8 x 57JS possibly, being purposely down-loaded due to the fact it may end up in a trap door action. Hand-loaders can easily improve the specs over factory, "
I said: Why would the 45/70 cause anymore than another cartridge that has been held to ultra low chamber pressure. It may to the uninitiated reloader but not to one that studies the craft. In that case angst can be everywhere to a beginner not just with cartridges with 2 or 3 loading levels.

Jerry said: "the .375 in the Factory loading is already a HP round, a modern .38-55, given the improvements in machining and metallurgy, not much headroom in the pressure department.
I said: there again it goes back to what I said previously. A newbie may have trouble but one that studies their craft will again know the 375 Win data is not wimpy

Jerry said: ".IIRC, the slab-side frames that were considered acceptable for the .375 JDJ when first available are now considered not to be.
I said: Need to tell the many owners of the Contender in 375 JDJ then. I have never heard that and I own one in a Contender and many have been sold by SSK. Now if you are talking about some custom job with a short throat with heavy handed Luke weighing the powder charges that may be so. But then again some out there could destroy an anvil with a tack hammer too. Bolt action guns have been damaged too.
Of course what do I know?????????

jerry_from_ct
06-25-2011, 03:24 PM
If you can tell me which issue that was in it would be great. I've been getting Handloader and Rifle magazines since about 1985 and have saved many of them. Hopefully I didn't toss that issue.

2shot

August 1996 #182............can't miss it, a stainless/rynite .375 on the cover.

jerry_from_ct
06-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Geez, 44mag#1, take it easy, If I knew you were going to get that upset, I would have skipped it.:holysheep

The original question from 2shot was............. anyone have any info and load data for a .375, would that qualify as a newbie looking for info, at least in the context of the .375 and the post.

44MAG#1
06-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Jerry said: "Geez, 44mag#1, take it easy, If I knew you were going to get that upset, I would have skipped it."
I said: How does throughly answering, or attempting to, a post make someone upset. I could have just thrown something out. Not taking the time to answer each aspect of your post. I am not upset. I don't even know you. Why would I be upset. I try to give a decent answer leaving as few unturmed stones as I can. I know that it is impossible to not leave a few but I try leave as few as I can.
Sorry I upset you with my answer.

jerry_from_ct
06-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Do you have anything constructive to offer 2shot ?, the thread is about 2shot's quest for information.
Instead of fencing with me, perhaps you might address his question. some loading info perhaps ?, links ?

Sorry your Thread got derailed 2shot.:hijack:

P.S. if you can't find that issue, I may be able to scan mine, and send/post it.

44MAG#1
06-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Yes I have something constructive. I just went to my loading books and pulled four of them and found data for the 375 win in all four. I am sure he could do the same.

No_1
06-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Gentlemen,

It appears every one has something constructive to say about the subject. Let's keep it that way.

R.

2shot
06-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Well I've been reloading for the last 45 years so I'm definitly not a newbie. I have reloading manuals also but unfortunetly they show loads for either the Marlin or Winchester. I have found very little on reloading the 375 Winchester in the TC Contender pistol. That's why I threw out the question over 6 months ago. It may very well be that rifle loads will work fine in my 14" Hunter barrel but I was looking for a shortcut to finding a pistol load for the 375 with possibly some of the faster powders. For now I'll stick with Reloader 7 and Sierra or Hornady bullets made for the 375 Winnie. I was hoping for a cast bullet load that I could lob at deer but then with the muzzle brake I have on this Hunter barrel I don't know how it would work out. I know that in another Contender I have with a Hunter barrel and muzzle brake in 44 mag does wonderful with jacketed bullets with around 2" groups at 100 yards. With cast in either plain base or GC the 44 mag shoots patterns. I would suspect the same out of the 375 winnie barrel.

Thanks to some people posting info I now have much more on reloading this cartridge with some of the avalible web information. Definitly not looking to hotrod it, I would be thrilled if I could reach factory load velocities without doing damage to the frame.

2shot

leadman
06-26-2011, 12:15 AM
I had a T/C factory chambered 375 Win 21" tapered carbine barrel. Recoil was there but not terrible. My 44mag carbine barrel felt worse.

Never did get decent accuracy out of it so sold it. Tried jacketed and cast, both plain base and gas checked. IIRC reloader 7 loads were the best.

44MAG#1
06-26-2011, 08:45 AM
2shot said: Well I've been reloading for the last 45 years so I'm definitely not a newbie. I have reloading manuals also but unfortunately they show loads for either the Marlin or Winchester. I have found very little on reloading the 375 Winchester in the TC Contender pistol
I said: Speer for example loads both of their handgun and rifle section to "SAAMI SPECS" on pressure for both cartridge. Why would you be concerned? Hornady will give the OAL, powder, primer and case type as does Speer and the other 2 I looked at. Lyman even gave loads for some cast. SAAMI doesn't give pressure limits for T/C's and revolvers and rifles for cartridges I am aware of. There may be some exceptions but I don't know of any. Some loading data for the 32/20 for example goes above SAAMI in their rifle data but that is on their own accord not because it is a SAAMI specification.
Get some load data and start low and work up to" SAAMI SPECS" loads and just do the normal thing of being observant like you would with any endeavor in working up a load.
Someone that has reloaded for 45 years should be okay in that endeavor. I would trust your judgment.
Please don't take this as me being a smart mouth. I don't mean it that way. In the typed word each is talking with out the other one looking at facial expressions with a patting on the back and watching body expressions. So please don't take what I say as being rude or condescending as I don't mean it that way.

2shot
06-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm not concerned about loads listed in reloading manuals BUT I study them carefully and take them with a grain of salt as I do with anything posted on the internet regarding reloading. Mistakes happen in printing and proof reading with manufactures manuals and on the net peolpe have been knows to list loads that they try recollecting from memory and are wrong. I double check and even triple check reloading manuals against each other and have over the years found many mistakes. As far as internel word of mouth loads go, I'll look at them and then chech them against known loads in a published manual. If the look to be good I'll give them a try, if not I'll just chalk it up to just more internet jiberish.

My originale reason asking for loads was to find out what bullets were working. I asked those that had a 375 Win barrel in a 14 Contender how they liked it and to share some loads. The reason for asking is this. Not everything works as typed on the net. Case in point is a S&W 629 and my Contender in 44 mag with a 12" hunter barrel. If I were to believe everything that is on this forum then I would have to believe that shooting either Kieth style, LBT's or some other form of lead was the only way to shoot deer with the 44 mag. With now over 100 deer to my handgun hunting career and about half taken with my Contender and a S&W 629 in 44 mag I would have to dispute this claim. I have had my best luck with the Remington 240 SJHP when shooting deer. I have found that when I shot deer with Kieth, LBT's or Federal Hard Cast that I lost many deer that I couldn't recover, poor blood trails if any and non of the mistical stopping power of these lead bullets. I have tried them in 357, 41 mag, 44 mag and the 45LC and FOR ME the results have been much less that spectacular. The Rem 240 SJHP has worked every time for me in the 44 mag.

I enjoy shooting loads (or should I say bullets) that work and would much rather shoot known bullets that work well than take a chance on a bullet that ultimately fails miserably. Case in point is the 200 grain Sierra, I have been holding out for this bullet as it's been on backorder for some time now. Turns out that with the links that have been provided here by the genorous people on this forum that the Hornady 220 grain is softer and would be a better bullet for deer. The Sierra is just too hard to expand at low velocities where the Hornady does better. Now after waiting over 6 months to buy bullets that are still on backorder I will just go out and buy some Hornady's that are in stock and give them a whirl. There is no sicker feeling that wacking a deer with a good shot and not being able to recover it. It's the feeling that almost makes me want to give up hunting because it's not fair to have taken a shot that lets the animal suffer a long and lingering death. This is want I have experianced with the lead bullets I have listed and for my style of hunting and where I hunt the just plain don't work for me. Others have had good success with them and I don't dispute that, if it works for them then good for them. For me like I have said I will not use them again, at least not for deer or smaller animals.

Naw, your not a smartmouth at all, like you said to someone else you don't know me and I don't know you. We tend to assume that people that post are less experianced that oursleves and try to give them the best answer accordingly. Now I know that there are many people that have taken a lot more that 100 deer with a handgun and my experiances are diminutive compared to theirs. But I have taken deer with everything from a 2" barreled S&W Mod 60 in 38 Special w/200 grain lead RN to my 44's and 45's and I've had my failures and successes. As for the 375 Winnie in the Contender I was just trying to get some feedback.

2shot

redneckdan
06-26-2011, 02:47 PM
The acceptable bolt-face pressure for contender capable carts. is, <= 8,000 psi , pick any cartridge for the contender and do the calculation and they always spec. out to that limit.

8000 pounds force maybe. Not 8000 psi. Your units don't make sense.

Take the chamber pressure in pounds/in*in multiply that by the diameter of the inside base of the case (in*in). The in*in cancels out leaving pounds force exerted by the case on the breech. Now keep in mind this measurement is ignoring the fact that the case actually grips the walls of the chamber and some of the force is dissipated by the stretch of the brass case. Case construction plays a part too. This is why some loads that are tolerable with a clean & dry chamber/case will stretch the frame if fired with an oiled chamber. If we can find out the steel type and heat treat it is possible to calculate the force required to exceed the elastic yield point of the frame.

44MAG#1
06-26-2011, 03:10 PM
redneckdan said: "8000 pounds force maybe. Not 8000 psi. Your units don't make sense.
I said: Psi is force if not what is it? How much pressure or force that is exerted on the standing breech face is chamber pressure in PSI times the area of the inside of the case at the head.
An example is a cartridge operating at 40000 psi with an inside head diameter of .400 inch
.400 X.400=.16000. .16000 X .7854 = .125664 sq in area. 40000 X .125664 = 5,026 psi or force on the standing breech.
Now the factors that redneckdan interjected such as case taper, dry or lubed chamber, brass thickness which limits stretching etc. still adds another dimension to the equation.
It is not cut and dried by any stretch of the imagination.

jerry_from_ct
06-26-2011, 03:28 PM
redneckdan said: "8000 pounds force maybe. Not 8000 psi. Your units don't make sense.
I said: Psi is force if not what is it? How much pressure or force that is exerted on the standing breech face is chamber pressure in PSI times the area of the inside of the case at the head.
An example is a cartridge operating at 40000 psi with an inside head diameter of .400 inch
.400 X.400=.16000. .16000 X .7854 = .125664 sq in area. 40000 X .125664 = 5,026 psi or force on the standing breech.
Now the factors that redneckdan interjected such as case taper, dry or lubed chamber, brass thickness which limits stretching etc. still adds another dimension to the equation.
It is not cut and dried by any stretch of the imagination.

Thank you........., force is a subjective term that means nothing without a measurement to apply to it.

To Redneckdan, the only thing that doesn't make sense is "why I would spend another minute in this thread".[smilie=l:
Here's a link dealing with bolt pressures and a chart worth looking at.
http://www.orions-hammer.com/blowback/

redneckdan
06-27-2011, 11:49 AM
That chart shows the bolt thrust (force) in Kpounds (thousands of pounds) NOT psi.

Pressure and force are two totally different things. Pressure is NOT force. Is it force per area, ie... pounds of force per square inch of area. Tell some one that a hydraulic cylinder has 8000PSI in it....okay that's nice quit wasting my time. Tell them it has 8000 PSI and a 2" diameter piston and now you have enough information to figure out how much force that hydraulic cylinder is exerting.

You have the idea but not the concept. Pressure and force are not interchangeable.

Since I am sitting at home with my leg in a brace and on ice with nothing better to do lets play firearms engineer.

I just measured my contender frame and the place where the frames stretch measured out at .1" thick and 1.35" tall. To make the calculation simpler I am going to assume that the bolt thrust acts straight backwards.

First I am going to find the area in tension. Multiply it by two since there are two sides to the receiver.

AREA=L*W= .1*1.35= .135in^2 * 2= .27 in^2 in tension

I have no idea what T/C uses for their frames but for this exercise I am going to use MIL-S-16974 steel with a tensile yield strength of 84,100 PSI. Now I am going to calculate the FORCE (NOT PRESSURE) required to push the receiver beyond the yield point and into the plastic range where permanent deformity occurs.

FORCE = (tensile yield stress)*(area) = (.27 in*in)* (84,100)= 22,707 pounds force.

So now we know that this theoretical receiver can withstand 22,700 pounds force before permanently deforming. Using your .400 internal diameter the maximum allowable chamber pressure before deforming would be.

A=pi*r^2= 3.14*.2*.2= .1256 in^2

Max force = 22,700lbs

Maximum Chamber Pressure = force/area = 22,700/.1256 = 180,732 PSI

Obviously this is not correct for a real world T/C frame but does show the difference between pressure and force and how they are used to get an answer.

Arisaka99
06-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Man, y'all are doing too much math for me!! [smilie=l:

44MAG#1
06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
redneckdan

The webster dictionary says that force and pressure are synonyms. the websters dictionay definition of synonym is: : one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses .
This is enough for me. You are trying to complicate something that is not complicated. The example of the 2 inch diameter rod with the 8000 psi pressure on it would be 25.132.8 PSI.
So what is the big deal?
We are not discussing tensile strength of the steel because you and I don't know what it reall is.
The thing to do is to remember such notables as JD Jones who has worked with T/C in some cartridges and also the Encore says that as the pressure goes up the head diameter mus go down. That is due to the area the Pounds Per Square Inch that is generated by the gasses expanding inside the case also pushes on the area on the back of the case. That is the reason a 223 can run in Contender at 5000 psi and a 45/70 can't. The difference in the area inside the head of the case is larger in the 45/70 so the pressure/force (remember they are synonyms) exerted on the standing breech of the Contender would be much greater if the 45/70 was running 50000 psi as opposed to the 223 running 50000 psi.
This is a simple thing not needed to be complicated.
Some are impressed by complicated things but most are not especially when they can arrive at the same results by being more simplistic.
Such as using .7854 to find area instead of Pii times radius squared. Example 2X 2 X.7854 = 3.1416 times your 8000 equals 25,132.8 psi that the 2 inch piston has pushing against it.
See. Arisaka99 is already overwhelmed.

Arisaka99
06-27-2011, 12:54 PM
44MAg, I also am a teenager that highly despises math!! ;)

44MAG#1
06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Arisaka99

I like the Jeremiah 29:11 verse.

redneckdan
06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure

Don't sound much like synonyms to me.

Webster's online dictionary doesn't even list a definition of force with regard to newtonian mechanics.

Force is not subjective, it is quantitative and can be a scale or a vector.

Horsepower is a measure of power. The rate at which work is done. Horsepower is not subjective either.

The math was just a simple way to show how the two are different and how the two are used to design something. That problem is sort of a reverse engineering problem.

I did read through that entire article and it does agree with me. The pressure and the case size work together to create the bolt thrust. Too much thrust is what causes stretched frames. Thrust is a reactionary force described by newton's second and third laws. Thrust is measured in lbf, pounds with the f denoting force to help distinguish it from pounds weight. Now seeing as thrust is measured in pounds does that sound more like a force (lb) or a pressure (PSI). [smilie=1:

44MAG#1
06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
The Meaning of Force
A force is a push or pull upon an object resulting from the object's interaction with another object. Whenever there is an interaction between two objects, there is a force upon each of the objects. When the interaction ceases, the two objects no longer experience the force. Forces only exist as a result of an interaction.

For simplicity sake, all forces (interactions) between objects can be placed into two broad categories:

•contact forces, and
•forces resulting from action-at-a-distance
Contact forces are those types of forces that result when the two interacting objects are perceived to be physically contacting each other. Examples of contact forces include frictional forces, tensional forces, normal forces, air resistance forces, and applied forces. These specific forces will be discussed in more detail later in Lesson 2 as well as in other lessons.
"Don't sound much like synonyms to me"
Wiki is not as good as websters so that is all I have to say about that.

"Force is not subjective, it is quantitative and can be a scale or a vector."
Force may not be subjective but it is relative.

Now to answer you on force(your words) and pressure (my words) force that the case presses back with against the standing breech is caused by pressure measured in PSI that is generated by the expanding gasses caused by the burning powder. PSI is a force. Ever see a hydraulic line burst? If it did not have force caused by the PSI internally it would not have done anything. The PSI inside caused force( your words) or pressure (my words) The line burst with great force or pressure, Take your pick.
You are trying to pick apart 2 words that can be used interchangeable in this conversation.
It not going to work because they are synonyms according to Websters which is a long time authority on words
Another thing: applied force: Psi is an applied force. Psi is pressure measured in a quantitative way in PSI

leadman
06-27-2011, 07:00 PM
To the OP. In this cartridge you might be better off with jacketed unless you paper patch a softer alloy. I would go for accuracy rather than the last fps.
I think from what you wrote this might be your plan.

Good luck and have fun!

2shot
06-28-2011, 08:39 AM
To the OP. In this cartridge you might be better off with jacketed unless you paper patch a softer alloy. I would go for accuracy rather than the last fps.
I think from what you wrote this might be your plan.

Good luck and have fun!

You are correct. I thought about paper patched but didn't know how it might work with the muzzle brake. It's the MB that keeps cast from performing good with my 44 mag barrel and this hunter barrel has the same MB. Accuracy is #1 in my quest

Four Fingers of Death
06-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Be a nice calibre in my Encore!

2shot
06-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Be a nice calibre in my Encore!

Yep, seems to have everything going for it as a hunting cartridge just not a ton of reloading info at least for the TC Contender pistol. In the Encore I would see no problems at all with the 375 Win but if I had an Encore I would be tempted to get the 375 JDJ and be done with it.

2shot

Four Fingers of Death
06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Yep, seems to have everything going for it as a hunting cartridge just not a ton of reloading info at least for the TC Contender pistol. In the Encore I would see no problems at all with the 375 Win but if I had an Encore I would be tempted to get the 375 JDJ and be done with it.

2shot

Whoops! I forgot that we were talking about handguns, I was thinking rifle, sorry.

jerry_from_ct
06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Whoops! I forgot that we were talking about handguns, I was thinking rifle, sorry.

Hey, Four Fingers, right about now, 2shot is saying take me to that Burmese Jungle, Man, anywhere but here.

:wink::wink:

oh, well, C'est la vie ........ Thanks for your service Brother, an Honor............

Hey 2shot got some Lyman 47th specs, good timing for the .375, just name the flavor.

Four Fingers of Death
06-30-2011, 04:24 AM
HaHa!

2shot
06-30-2011, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=jerry_from_ct;1318652]Hey, Four Fingers, right about now, 2shot is saying take me to that Burmese Jungle, Man, anywhere but here.

:wink::wink:

You read my mind.
Hey Four Fingers of Death. Is it true that you guys send the Fosters Beer up to the states because nobody there will drink it? An Assie friend I know says that it's terrible beer but I've been known to have a few to many pints of it.:veryconfu

The last Lyman's book I have is the cast bullet handbook. I've got the Lyman 46th I'll have to look at getting the Lyman 47th.

Thanks Jerry

2shot

Four Fingers of Death
06-30-2011, 09:12 AM
I haven't seen it here for years. It was pretty popular and I liked it. Every time I see a picture of a bar, etc overseas, I see a Foster's sign or a can (usually a large one, they don't sell that size can here). I think Carlton have bought out all of these brands and if they marketed them all they would be competing against themselves. The Carlton brand is the main one and it is part of Fosters Group. Their beers all tastle pretty much the same anyway. I went on a holiday to Fiji many years ago and was surprised that their beer tasted just like ours. Driving through Suva, I went past the brewery and there was the big ad on the wall for Fiji Bitter (I think that was the beer brand, underneath there was the Carlton sign. 'Nothing is sacred' was the thought that went through my mind. :D

2shot
06-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Fosters is all over the states and they've had a big sales campaign going on here for years. If you ever get up to the state's and are in the mid-west area drop a line and I'll buy you a few Fosters. Maybe we'll get luck and the "Fosters Girls" will be at the bar handing out free samples of beer and Fosters merchandise like hats and key chains. [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

2shot

Four Fingers of Death
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Fosters is all over the states and they've had a big sales campaign going on here for years. If you ever get up to the state's and are in the mid-west area drop a line and I'll buy you a few Fosters. Maybe we'll get luck and the "Fosters Girls" will be at the bar handing out free samples of beer and Fosters merchandise like hats and key chains. [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

2shot

Sounds like a plan, I went to China and drank American beer (bud), so go to the States to drink Aussie beer, lol.

jerry_from_ct
07-02-2011, 04:31 PM
That's it 2shot.............. a .375 Win loaded with a Lg.Mag Primer and some Foster's..........................

Sheer Genius.........................:Fire:

:Warning: Take 3 cans internally, before test.:guntootsmiley:

2shot
07-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Just found out that the latest Hornady manual has listings for the 375 Win in the Contender 14" pistol. I'll have to pick that manual up.

Jerry;

You sure Fosters doesn't need a mag primer? Sure would hate to get a hangfire.;)