PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmithing DVD's

Toad
01-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Has anyone tried any of the gunsmithing DVD courses out there? I would like to learn some of the basis " how to's" how to take apart, repair, and then put em back togeather. Thanks

deltaenterprizes
01-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I had a couple from AGI that were good.

hunter64
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Bought a whole box full of the AGI ones at a pawn shop for 140 bucks. Some of them are good, most are OK, a couple are useless. If you love the teacher (Ben Steine) in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, you are in for a treat as the gunsmith that does the disassembly and instructions will put you to sleep in about 15 minutes. The guy is a master gunsmith but boring as hell.

Most of the camera work is passable and some is down right horrible. The guy filming the disassembly is about 8-10 feet away from the firearm and the gunsmith is taking it apart by screw drivers etc. and you can't see what he is doing. The major sub-assemblies are OK but when you take apart a Winchester 94 or a Remington shotgun you want that camera 1 foot away with lots of light and from different angles to see exactly how it is done.

Here is about the best example of what you can expect, it will not get any better than this only worse. Camera work on this one isnt that bad but it is down hill from here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMeLWoKNBgw

All I can say is I am glad I got some as a package deal and would have felt ripped off if I paid 40 bucks a DVD for them.

My thoughts anyway.

andremajic
01-20-2011, 09:38 PM
There's a place called smartflix.com which rents out the AGI series for approx 10 bucks a video.

I have rented some which were great, such as the 1911 series, the armorers videos, and building a sporterized mauser. The machine shop videos are awesome. Lots of great info and you need to rewind and play over and over on some parts because they ARE a little boring and it's a LOT of information to absorb.

Here's a good clue to if it's a good video, IMHO. If it's under 2 hours long, it's probably not going to be good or useful, unless it's a specific video on how to do a trigger job. If it's a 2 or 5 disk set, then it's going to be in depth and worth renting.

Don't rent the M1 Garand "build" course. All they showed was a bunch of original army depot fixtures that we wouldn't be able to find on the market and how to screw a barrel into a reciever USING THOSE OBSCURE TOOLS which you wouldn't find in a million years of searching. Useless...