PDA

View Full Version : Making 411 lube

223tenx
10-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I sent a pm to Junior for help( I think this is his formula) and he never answered it. So, I'll ask the collective. I made a batch of 411 lube (4 parts beeswax, 1 part Dexron ATF and 1 part Lithium auto grease) and had problems mixing in the Lithium grease. I melted the wax first and then added the ATF and then the grease. The grease partially dissolved but left little grease gobs suspended in the lube and I mixed a loooong time. Should I have mixed the ATF and grease together first and then added that to the molten wax? I've used a variation of this lube before with 1 part paraffin with no mixing difficulties but I would like to eliminate the paraffin. Thanks for any help.

Leftoverdj
10-29-2006, 11:57 AM
The lithium grease will not melt at temperatures that beeswax will tolerate. I'd expect a fire if you heated the grease to the melting point and then added beeswax. You did it right. Melt the wax and patiently stir in the grease. It takes a very long time.

I'm not sure how the ATF reacts. I've never used that.

Powderface
10-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I haven't made the 411 but from what I learned from modified FWFL, you should heat the ATF to almost smoking and then add the moly grease. Stir until completely emulsified! Then add and melt in the Bee's Wax.

Hope this helps

Mike

223tenx
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks guys.
The ATF goes readily into the molten beeswax. When I was making lube with commode seal, paraffin, ATF and using crayons to color, it all went into solution without any problems. This lube works pretty good, but I ended up using more paraffin to make it harder. Plus, I can't get the same brand commode seal as before. I guess I'll keep messing with it.

lefty_red
10-30-2006, 12:19 PM
I've made "Junior Lube" and the grease DOES NOT mix into the batch that well, I just try to get it "swirled" in to what lookes like its even and go from there.

I think I works pretty good and all the "parts" I can get up town at NAPA!

LEFTY

versifier
10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Try using a yardsale hand held cake mixer. It will break up the lumps and give you an even consistency. Don't run it too fast or you will get air in the mix.

Junior1942
10-30-2006, 05:26 PM
I sent a pm to Junior for help( I think this is his formula) and he never answered it.I answered an email, not a PM. You don't have to heat it to the danger point in order to blend the lithium grease. (1) Use a whisk to break up the big globs into smaller globs or (2) use a spatula and squeeze the big globs against the side of the container.

The cake mixer idea is a good one!