PDA

View Full Version : Starting over??

Sully
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
My mix of 8 oz toilet ring beeswax; 8 ox of paraffin ; and 8 oz of Vasoline and finally 8 ounces of lithium grease ( the can said white..the grease was blacker than H***) is a bust. Still hard as a carp. Im tossing it.

Starting over with 8 ounces of PURE bees wax ( my ebay shipment finally arrived) and 8 ounces of Vaseline . Lets see how "hard" that ends up??

Char-Gar
01-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Half and Half will be too soft. Try 5 ozs of Vaseline. Add another oz. if still harder than you want.

01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Adding a whole bunch of ingredients together and trying to quess the outcome is, as you found out, tough. I would heat up a small quantity of your primary softener.. the oil then add small amounts of the binder/hardener... the wax. Once mixed take a small sample, cool it down and check. Keep doing that until you get what you want. The hard part is accurate measurements of small quantities of the base materials so that the recipe can be exprapolated or duplicated later.

Sully
01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Half and Half will be too soft. Try 5 ozs of Vaseline. Add another oz. if still harder than you want.

Good idea! I can always ADD more Vaseline but ya cant get it back out if too much was added..,.

fredj338
01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Good idea! I can always ADD more Vaseline but ya cant get it back out if too much was added..,.
No, but you can add more BW or some candle wax to harden it up a bit.

OLPDon
01-12-2011, 08:08 PM
As Casters we keep the size of Boolits to fit our rifleing with time effort and seek the best mould for Rifle/Pistol ect. We for the most part buy the best we can afford Rifle/Pistol. We take the time and care to make sure our reloading standards are as close to dead center as possible.
Bees wax has always been the time honored part of the cast boolit. I some times I find after spending way to many $$$$ on moulds, bottom pour pots, ect I find myself thinking maybe I can save some pennies on on lube. Don't know why I do it, sometimes I do it just for what the heck worth a try. I alway come back to the basics, and for me bees wax is one of them. I figure the bees work to hard to produce the best they can and they don't know they shouldn't be able to fly (size of body to wing size) so I figure I will not let there work go in vane.

Commercal Lube Co. (the Big Boy's) use products that are cost effective. As for toilet rings I don't think the manufactures would put anything in the ring to make it better ring if it cost more to make. Lets face it, it is a one time use and the customer never looks at it again after its installed. At one time Toilet rings had bees wax in them, but that was some time ago.

Just a rant I can't remember all the times, I kind of sort of thought of maybe, I shouldn't do that........ And you guessed it I did it, and of course my thoughts were I knew I shouldn't have done that. Now I just wait for someone else on this fourm to do it for me and report back to us all, the darn thing didn't work.

So that being said....... Thanks for trying out the Toilet Rings.
Don

fredj338
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM
I really can't find a good reason to make my own lube. I have experimented a bit w/ success, just to see if I could, but the WhiteLabel stuuf is so good & very affordable, it certainly beats buying BW & other stuff to try & get something that works as well. JMO, but unless I had access to free components, there is little savings in making my own lubes.