PDA

View Full Version : Need bullet puller

FallRun
10-29-2006, 09:55 AM
I would like to buy a press mount bullet puller that works on lead bullets which would include swc's and to possibly make things worse.... I own a turret press. Does anyone make such an animal? I am not real concerned weather it mars the bullet or not, I just want to get them apart. I have already broken 3 of the kinetic type and don't want to buy any more of those. Thank You all in advance, Glenn

Swagerman
10-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Hornady makes a pretty good unit, it has sleave collets for different calibers, and is quite reasonable.

I use it for lead bullets and if done properly will not mar the bullet.

Jim

FallRun
10-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Even swc's that are maybe a little too deep?

44woody
10-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Fallrun if any of them were RCBS pullers just send them bck and you will get a new one back I have sent 2 back so far and got a new one ever time :castmine: 44Woody

FallRun
10-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanx Woody but they were Frankford arsenal and I really want a puller to mount on my press anyway. Less work and not as messy

versifier
10-29-2006, 11:00 AM
I have a Forster with interchangable collets. It works like a charm on jacketed, but the problem with using it on cast is that the nose of the boolit is smaller than the drivings bands (i.e. collet size). Deeply seated jacketed bullets don't like to come out with it either. If the boolit is not fully seated so that the collet can grip the front driving bands, it will work OK, but somehow I never seem to have any problems with those loads. [smilie=1: I know that kinetic pullers can be a pain and they do not stand up well when pulling cast (and I don't understand why), but they do work better than the collet puller I have. I had an old Quinetics that worked well for 30years and then fell apart on cast, and I had a brand new RCBS die on the 9th cast round (new one on the way). I have never found one of either variety that won't leave the *&%$$#@ gas checks in about 2 out of 3 cases. If anyone else has had better luck, what are you using?

montana_charlie
10-29-2006, 02:07 PM
My puller is a kinetic one which was made (a long time ago) by Gun Products Inc. It even has a wooden handle.
I only recently had a need to use it for cast bullets, and I had to make a new 'thingy' for the case head to get enough depth for long bullets in .45-90 cases.

But, these bullets were inserted in the case without being lubed because I was just doing some trial fitting. They came out with normal force (compared to the jacketed I have pulled in the past) but, again, there was no 'sticky lube' glueing them to the inside of the brass.

Do you think it might be helpful to heat up your cast bullet 'candidates' before trying to pull them?
I don't want to advocate anything dangerous with loaded ammunition, but it is a thought...
CM

carpetman
10-29-2006, 02:32 PM
As mentioned the collet pullers are the best on jacketed. My RCBS did not come with a set screw on the locking nut and thus the whole unit would turn when I tried to tighten down on a bullet. Put a locking nut with a set screw on it and problem solved. It doesnt work so good on cast and sending it back to RCBS wouldnt help a thing---the replacement would be the same. The collet pullers cost more and do require a collet for every cal you will be pulling. On cast bullets you dont need a puller. Run the bullet up through your press with no die in it. Clamp onto the bullet with a pair of Vise Grips and raise the handle---when the pliers stop and the cartridge doesnt,but keeps going you will witness a Physics Phenomenon. Something or the other about unstoppable forces and immovable objects or something or the other. Whatever it is you have a pulled bullet--probably ruined but so what?--Remelt it and you are back underway. The kinetic pullers are a great form of exercise in my opinion. Not only exercise but Ive read a few cases where they created some excitement too. Now what comes to mind when you think excitement and exercise? Thats about what you get when you buy one.

montana_charlie
10-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Now what comes to mind when you think excitement and exercise?
Mud Wrestling!

Dale53
10-29-2006, 04:09 PM
I've been using Carpetman's method for many years. Works just fine.

Good luck!

Dale53

KYCaster
10-29-2006, 08:22 PM
I've been using the same RCBS kinetic puller since Moby Dick was a minnow and haven't had any problems. A good friend of mine works on the cronograph at the USPSA Nationals where they check the bullet weight for every competitor. He constantly complains about tearing up kinetic pullers. They keep three spares on hand for every match (250+ shooters). It might be cause he goes about it like killin' snakes!! Geeez, people, you don't hafta pull it on the first whack EEEEVERY time! Ease up a little bit and your tools might last a little longer.

One of the big problems is using concrete or steel or a big block of seasoned black oak to hammer on. If your system has no "give", your gonna tear something up. If your using a ridgid anvil and you don't pull it on the first whack, the rebound can actually push the bullet back into the case. Use something that doesn't have any bounce. I use a five pound pig of plumber's lead that works very well. Its a little thinner and a little wider than it was in 1975, but I'm still using the same RCBS puller too.

45 ACP usually takes two or three whacks, 38 wadcutters, eight to ten. Mil surp ammo or any that's corroded seems to come out better if I push the bullet further into the case to break the bond to the case before I pull it. Last week I pulled about two years worth of accumulated "stuff". Some of it my mistakes and some of it picked up at the range to reclaim components. No problems.

All that being said, next time I'll probably use C'man's vise-grip method to do most of the pulling. Sounds like the way to go for most stuff.

Jerry

chunkum
10-29-2006, 10:37 PM
There is a nack to using the kinetics and it's defined by the title of the device. It's like throwing a baseball in a lot of ways. You want to swing the "hammer" part in an arc so that it strikes the surface (I use an old oak stump) at a high velocity. But application of a lot of force at the point of the " strike" is useless". I've had the plastic portion of a couple of the cheaper ones deteriorate and break in the past, but the RCBS, used as described, has lasted for many years.
Best regards,
Chunkum

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Call or email Frankford Arsenal. I had my bullet puller from them for four years when I called. They sent me a new one and I never even sent mine in. BTW, while I own a Hornady bullet puller, I also think it's a good idea to have a couple of the kinetic pulers on hand as well.

FallRun
10-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Thank You guys for all your help