PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Guess For My Favorite Load?

Josh Smith
01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Hello,

I have a favorite critter load I worked up. It's accurate and thumps small- to medium-sized critters very nicely. I've not tried it on two legged critters.

The load is 4.9grn ACC#2 under a 230grn (nominal, actual weight is 235 to 240gn with 10:1 alloy sweetened with a bit of Linotype). The bullet is a Lee tumble lube using a proprietary hard shell lubricant I sort of invented. C.O.A.L. is 1.20" and has a light crimp.

I'm guessing the velocity is between 700 and 750fps, but with it seated to 1.2", could be just a bit higher.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Josh

NHlever
01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
I took a look in QuickLoad, and it predicts about 790 fps. assuming you are talking about a 45 acp out of a 5" barrel.

Josh Smith
01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Yup, I was. Sorry 'bout that.

Thanks for the info. I'm kickin' that pill a bit faster than I thought. I got access to a chrono finally, but the guy blew off the sky screens, so I'll have to wait to check against that.

I really, really like this load though. Drops raccoon-sized critters faster than defensive HP (Winchester PDX1 @ 920fps advertised). This is a truncated cone boolit I'm using in my load.

Thanks again!

Josh

35remington
01-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Joshua, why so darn much tin?

I know it's an old timer's formula for autoloading pistol bullets but predominantly wheelweights with a little bit of tin (2%) would be much cheaper. Hardness would be close.

Tin is too darn expensive to be using 2 lbs. of it in a 20 lb. pot. Especially when 45 ACP bullets don't need anywhere near that much tin to fill out adequately.

Josh Smith
01-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Joshua, why so darn much tin?

I know it's an old timer's formula for autoloading pistol bullets but predominantly wheelweights with a little bit of tin (2%) would be much cheaper. Hardness would be close.

Tin is too darn expensive to be using 2 lbs. of it in a 20 lb. pot. Especially when 45 ACP bullets don't need anywhere near that much tin to fill out adequately.

An old silhouette shooter died, and I can buy the stuff for 50 cents per pound until it runs out.

I have no source for such an inexpensive source of pure lead, so I don't bother looking.

Most of what I can get around here is Linotype (all I can shoot!) and 10:1, so I just alloy those two together.

Josh

lylejb
01-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Most of what I can get around here is Linotype (all I can shoot!)

So, why dont you post some of that lino in the swappin and selling section?

You would have PLENTY of people willing to trade for wheel weights and / or pure lead, probably at 2 to 1.

Kraschenbirn
01-13-2011, 10:21 AM
+1 on swapping for some that lino. I've got a couple fairly reliable (but not "cheap") sources for both wheelweights and scrap plumbers/roofers lead and would certainly be willing to work up some sort of trade.

Bill

Josh Smith
01-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I have thought about it. I'm on so many boards that know about my "strike" that I don't like to show preference.

Besides, I can only afford so much at a time right now and shipping that small quantity would not be worth it.

That last is probably really the main reason. If I do this, I'd like one box to go out and one box to come in. Otherwise shipping expenses &c get too expensive.

Josh