PDA

View Full Version : cheap fix for a large chamber???

barrabruce
01-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a .22 that's seen better days.

I t wants to shoot and does for a bit...but it leads up and I have to clean it then fire some rounds to get it shooting again. :(

The chamber is a bit big as in a round will easily slide in and out when clean.
Bit loose really.
The throat and grooves seem good and well defined.

After a while it will build up or grab lead on the lead/throat land area and one can feel the resistance in the last bit of chambering.

Its about then I will get real wild fliers till it sort of shoot the lead out and settles in roughly again.

Best if I just clean it and re condition the bore with some more rounds.

Any Ummm home recipies/fixes/cures I could try???

Cheers
Bruce

3006guns
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Sounds like the throat is eroded or pitted. How old is the gun? Any chance someone used some of the old corrosive .22 ammo from many years ago and didn't clean it very well?

The reason I ask is that I've NEVER seen a .22 actually worn out. I've seen them with rusty bores, pitted bores, eroded bores, etc.......but never really worn. Your comment about the chamber being oversize is puzzling too.

If that's the case, you MIGHT be able to lap the area lightly to smooth it out a bit, however if the chamber is indeed a "bit big" you might actually be better off having a barrel liner installed. Not cheap, but not horribly expensive either. Depends on whether the gun is precious enough to you.

barrabruce
01-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Yep she's pretty old.
Been sitting in a cupborad for years.
Probly made in the 30's.

I would say it has had a hard life but not shot a great deal.

The throat seems to have a taper and then goes into the rifling sharply. (from eye balling)

It looks quite good when clean.
The bore has a few pits etc.
Once I scrubbed out the lead I have more grooves than I thought I had.

I was thinking maybe trying grease or wax on the bullets.
Thought it may help alignment.

Its worth less than what ever the ammo costs playing with it if I can't get it to shoot.
A keeper if it does :)

Thanks But I have fired a few rounds with polish on them to help smooth things up a bit.
It seemed to help it shoot better it "goes off" again.

Best run has been 20 shots. Thought wow beuty.
Next time out nought zilch.
Re clean it can last 3-5 10 what ever rounds till she goes south on me agin.

How would you lap the lead in area with out touching the chamber then???
The bore seems tight.
Thanks
Bruce

docone31
01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Why not face the barrel, and recut the chamber?
Might eliminate all the issues then.

zuke
01-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Set the barrel back.
Re-line the barrel
Use one of those kit's that let's you use a polishing paste applied to wach bullet to fire lap it.

barrabruce
01-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Can't re-chamer it cos its been cut out of one piece.
Ie" receiver is the barrel. Hmmm
Thanks anyway.
I'll try some more lapping and see.

Cheers
Bruce

akajun
01-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Put a liner in it, or re chamber it to 22 mag.

barrabruce
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks see what happen

Ol' Butch
01-12-2011, 09:49 PM
An old gent I knew as a kid would take a small block V8 chevrolet tubular push rod and sleeve just the chamber. He claimed the push rods are great steel. This was usually to repair a chamber damaged by the firing pin in rifles like the Stevens farvorite. This involves boring the chamber,pressing in the section of push rod and cutting a new chamber.

w30wcf
01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
barrabruce,
What type of ammo are you using....brand....velocity?

If you are using high velocity, you might try standard velocity and subsonic.
The reduced chamber pressure may help with the leading issue.

Removing all the leading with a bore brush sometimes still leaves a small amount of leading behind for other leading to build upon. I would suggest using some fine steel wool on tight fitting patch to remove all traces of leading.

w30wcf

Mk42gunner
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
An old gent I knew as a kid would take a small block V8 chevrolet tubular push rod and sleeve just the chamber. He claimed the push rods are great steel. This was usually to repair a chamber damaged by the firing pin in rifles like the Stevens farvorite. This involves boring the chamber,pressing in the section of push rod and cutting a new chamber.

This recommendation is also in one of the Gunsmith's Kinks books by Brownell's. I have never done it, but I do have a candidate for it. One of these days...

Robert

Bret4207
01-26-2011, 08:56 AM
The chamber can be sleeved, it's not a simple job though. These days with our high strength, long lasting glues you don't even need to solder it in. A line is another option.

What make is the rifle? Not a Savage by chance?