PDA

View Full Version : Ruger flattop old model

boomboy
01-05-2011, 01:18 AM
So I have an older flat top 44mag. and was wondering if it could handle the same loads as the supers. I have heard both way and wanted to get your guys input.

I have heard theat that the flattop's fluted cyl. makes them weaker, and that makes sence due to the lack of material.

If I do need to use reduced loads, how much. I have a 240gr SWC GC and a getting a 300 gr RF GC

sliphammer
01-05-2011, 02:08 AM
I run the same loads thru my super as I do my flattop. Never had any problems with the flattop and most of my loads were 23 gr. of H110 behind an H&G Keith 255 gr. boolit.

boomboy
01-05-2011, 02:12 AM
thats what I was thinking.....and have been doing for some time but when I bought the new mould I thought I would ask.
Thanks

2 dogs
01-05-2011, 02:13 AM
The older flattop 44 mags are not heat treated the same as the new NM Ruger SBHs. The flutes dont have anything to do with the strength, they are more lightening cuts than anything else.

You are fine for your standard 44 mag 240 grain loads, however, I would remind you that they dont make these flattops anymore! Why stress it beyond that level? These guns were built before anyone ever really dreamed of slinging a 300 plus grain bullet out of the 44 magnum at 1300 plus fps.

I keep my OM sixguns to the 1200 1250 fps range with standard bullets. In my OM super I shoot a 280 at 1250. I have shot some heavy 300 grain loads in my flattop, but doing so nearly buried the hammer into my wrist so watch out.

A long recommended load for your comfort and long life of the sixgun itself is 10 grains of Unique on a 250 grain bullet. Depending on your barrel length you will get 1100 to 1200 fps and not overstress your OMFT. If you just gotta shoot the monster loads, and I do, get a New Model.

Dennis Eugene
01-05-2011, 03:17 AM
Yep I'm in complete agreement with 2 dogs. My Old Model ain't going to get shot loose. I run average loads through it. When I want to play with the hammer of Thor I grab a NM Super and run her hot. I may never own another OMFT but I'll always own this one. Dennis Eugene

exile
01-05-2011, 03:42 AM
I could be wrong, but aren't the old model .44 flattops aluminum grip frames? I wanted a flattop so bad I was going to buy the .44 anniversary model (which has a steel grip frame) but then found the same gun in a .41 magnum.

In any case, please take care of your old flattop. The only one I have seen for sale on-line is going for $ 1550.00:)

exile

NickSS
01-05-2011, 06:37 AM
I owned one a long time ago and liked it but sold it when I moved to another state that I did not know the gun laws in at the time. I would never fire a load hotter then standard 44 mags it one as they are too valuable and besides they are lighter than the SBH and kick harder consequently. When I want to get outrageous in reloading a 44 mag I use my Red hawk. That gun is so over built that I never worry about hot loading it.

Lloyd Smale
01-05-2011, 07:06 AM
some claim there not as strong. Im no metal expert so i wont argue. I will say though that an old one i had ate many many heavy bullet heavy loads without a burb. Anymore though id have to agree with 2dogs. There becoming a classic old gun and it makes little sense to risk it even if its a remote possibility. Id keep it to 1200 fps loads with a 250 if it were my gun and buy a newer one to beat on.

44man
01-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Back in 56 when I bought my first, I had to shoot factory loads to get brass. Let me tell you they were some horrendous loads. I will never forget my first shot! :holysheep I had to look at the gun to see what the heck blew up. [smilie=l:
From then on it was a love affair.
None of my hand loads has ever had the recoil of those first factory loads.
The flat top is worth so much today I would baby it too. I wish I still had mine.

boomboy
01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with all you guys, but I don't own another 44 at the moment....anyone got a NMSBH they would let go?:smile: ya I know not likely... For real though I have an almost new win 94 30-30 made in the 70's if anybody would consider a trade.

Thanks for all the advise.
Boomboy

boomboy
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Forgot to mention that my love of Ruger's SBH has gon back to when I was 8 years old and I got to shoot my grandfathers 3 screw super. I have been addicted ever since. Now that I am casting it opens up many other doors and I still kick my self for getting rid of my Super.
Oh well I traded it and $50 for my flattop.

targetshootr
01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I've got an om sbh, if interested. The grip frame is not original, it trimmed my knuckles too many times.

I bet 9 or 10 gr Universal is all you need in the flat top. Since I don't hunt I normally use 8 gr with 260 gr Keiths.

BruceB
01-05-2011, 12:27 PM
It was 1965. I was walking around the Hudson's Bay Company store in Yellowknife, NWT (then about 3000 people, but by far the largest settlement in 1.3 MILLION square miles) when I met the owner of the local hardware store. He said, "Come over to the store when you're done here; I have something to show you."

It was a 7.5" .44 Flat-top in a plain belt-and-holster rig, with about 60 rounds of Remington ammo. I ended up buying it.

In the taxi driving the 3 miles back to the minesite, we were talking about it. Cabbie sez: "I have a .44."

"What kind?" I asked.

"Smith and Wesson."

"Is it for sale?"

"Yup."

"Is it REGISTERED?" (Required in Canada).

"Nope."

"TURN THIS CAB AROUND!"

So, starting the day with no apparent likelihood of owning a .44 for years ahead, I went back to the staff house with TWO gorgeous .44s! The cabbie had papers to prove he'd bought the Smith in the USA; he'd just "imported" it without government's blessing. Didn't bother me in the least.

Those guns shared many wilderness adventures with me, and I wish I still owned them.