PDA

View Full Version : For you deer hunters that like burger

44man
01-05-2011, 12:21 AM
I always wanted a grinder better then the one on our mixer. Cabela's has them on sale so I ordered the 3/4 horse grinder. Saved $50 and had a lot of points.
It came today and what a machine it is. It weighs 40#. It came with all the sausage tubes and even a high speed stuffer. I am impressed to say the least. I think I can toss meat from the garage, through the kitchen door and it will gobble it up.
Now I need the best recipes for all kinds of sausage.
What better excuse for an extra "burger deer."
The price was cheaper then any other grinder out there.

Matt3357
01-05-2011, 01:19 AM
I believe my brother has the same one. I use it every year to grind up most of my deer. I use deer in place of beef for everything except hamburgers. It is truly a beast of a grinder and handles everything I have ever thrown at it like a champ. Good luck with your recipes. Oh I also use the ground deer to make jerky with one of those jerky guns, much easier than dragging out the slicer and tastes about the same.

Matt

Lloyd Smale
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
bit of advice. If making sausage is going to be anymore then a few lbs a year deal to you but a vertical stuffer. Stuffing with a meat grinder can be a pain in the ^^^. Also stay away from those horn style stuffers. with a grinder or a horn type stuffing is about a 2 man job and with a vertical its easy to do alone. Another good investment if your making sausage is a meat mixer. i made about of 100llbs combined summer sausage/slim jims this year and ground probably 300lbs of venison and wouldnt be without any one of the three.

Bret4207
01-05-2011, 07:42 AM
This is the best sausage making site I've run across yet. Lotsa pictures for dummies like too!

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/page0001.htm

Whitworth
01-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Awesome! When's lunch?! :mrgreen:

btroj
01-05-2011, 08:49 AM
I thought those big guns you hunted with ground em up for you!
:groner:

GP100man
01-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Nuttin like a good grinder , sounds like the 1 I got from BP !!

I like beef tallow in my grind 10#venison , 10# pork , 10#tallow , season to taste !!

When ya get your seasonin buy the powdered versions it`ll mix better & give more consistency to the flavor !!

I usually add my seasonin at the beginnin , sprinklin a layer then grind it until it`s all gone then run it thru again , have been known to tripple grind !!!

44man
01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I thought those big guns you hunted with ground em up for you!
:groner:
:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
Hey Bret, thanks, good site.

Bass Ackward
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Yea buddy. Ever since the first Gulf scenario, I have been allergic to beef and mushrooms. So deer is my red meat source.

I cut the straps out of my deer for chops, de-fat and gristle the rest which all becomes grid material. Jerky is a real luxury for me cause I can't afford the shrinkage. And I do everything myself. Makes a BIG difference in taste.

Most folks don't realize how much of any wild or bad taste is stored in the fat. That goes for wild or tame.

So we got a commercial grinder years ago. In fact, I grind pork, turkey, anything and everything now. I use it all year round. Meat goes from the grind pan into one of those heat sealed, processor bags.

I like to KNOW what is in my food.

fourarmed
01-05-2011, 06:29 PM
We had been grinding deer for years with a pair of the little Oster 250 watt grinders. One of them died this year, so we went to Cabela's and bought the ONE HORSE model. (Don't mean to one-up, 44 Man.) Had a $100 coupon, so it made it a little easier to pay for. The first thing I did when I got it home was build a 4-wheel dolly for it to sit on, so I could just roll it out from under the cabinet, and not lift it until I had it where I wanted it.

This thing is awesome. Deer season was over, but I bought a couple of Pork roasts (loin end) and boned and ground them. I could not throw that meat into the hole fast enough to keep up with the thing. I had ten pounds of meat, and added 3 T. salt, 2 T. Tone's Rosemary Garlic seasoning, (This is great stuff if you can find it.) 1 T. black pepper, 1 T. cayenne pepper, and 1 t. ground sage. This made a very lean sausage with none of the seasonings being obvious. In fact, it might be a little too lean. Patties cook up more like cutlets than like sausage. Next time I will use Boston Butt roasts. They are not quite as lean.

44man
01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
We had been grinding deer for years with a pair of the little Oster 250 watt grinders. One of them died this year, so we went to Cabela's and bought the ONE HORSE model. (Don't mean to one-up, 44 Man.) Had a $100 coupon, so it made it a little easier to pay for. The first thing I did when I got it home was build a 4-wheel dolly for it to sit on, so I could just roll it out from under the cabinet, and not lift it until I had it where I wanted it.

This thing is awesome. Deer season was over, but I bought a couple of Pork roasts (loin end) and boned and ground them. I could not throw that meat into the hole fast enough to keep up with the thing. I had ten pounds of meat, and added 3 T. salt, 2 T. Tone's Rosemary Garlic seasoning, (This is great stuff if you can find it.) 1 T. black pepper, 1 T. cayenne pepper, and 1 t. ground sage. This made a very lean sausage with none of the seasonings being obvious. In fact, it might be a little too lean. Patties cook up more like cutlets than like sausage. Next time I will use Boston Butt roasts. They are not quite as lean.
Fantastic machines for sure. I don't need any larger then the 3/4 horse but it puts the one on my mixer to shame.
That sounds good but it does need a little fat.

fourarmed
01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
After having used this one, I think that the 3/4 horse would have been plenty. The major difference I see now is in the top pan. The one horse pan is quite a bit larger, which ought to make it a little easier to mix different meats and fats together while grinding. One thing I did find is that the incredible speed of running chunks through the coarse plate does not carry over to running the first grind back through the fine plate. The fine plate is also a bugger to clean.

44man
01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
After having used this one, I think that the 3/4 horse would have been plenty. The major difference I see now is in the top pan. The one horse pan is quite a bit larger, which ought to make it a little easier to mix different meats and fats together while grinding. One thing I did find is that the incredible speed of running chunks through the coarse plate does not carry over to running the first grind back through the fine plate. The fine plate is also a bugger to clean.
All is better then too small a grinder. I had to push hard to get meat through the little mixer and it plugged up all the time with a little sinew. I was always taking it apart. I hate the moan and groan of the little motor.

white eagle
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
and another
http://www.highcountryhunting.com/listing.html?categoryid=2

warf73
01-06-2011, 06:23 PM
This is the one we use from Gander Mountain with the ground meat packaging system. It makes sealing up ground meat bags extreamly easy ( make the wife and mom very happy).

We used to use the hand grinders untill we got this set up. Grinding up deer or hogs is very fast now and not as much work.

44man
01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Darn, season is over! Do I have to poach a burger deer? 8-)
What about thawing meat, grinding it and freezing it again? How about sausage from frozen meat? I suppose it would be fine. I want to make smoked sausage.

fourarmed
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
This year we decided to turn the 2009 leftovers into jerky and sausage. It worked extremely well. Normally we don't get to the fresh venison until about April or May. This year we bit the bullet - figuratively speaking - and used all the previous years meat immediately. The stuff we ground for sausage was the small steak pieces that normally go into kebabs, stir fry, satay, etc. Made wonderful sausage. Leftover round steak went into jerky. I'll admit we are still blackening the loin chops.

Lloyd Smale
01-08-2011, 09:07 AM
ive got the same grinder and ive never found it lacking in any way. mine has ground 1000s of lbs of venison and buffalo
This is the one we use from Gander Mountain with the ground meat packaging system. It makes sealing up ground meat bags extreamly easy ( make the wife and mom very happy).

We used to use the hand grinders untill we got this set up. Grinding up deer or hogs is very fast now and not as much work.

44man
01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
My dogs love dried venison so I thawed a roast. I cut some thin to put on the drier and some for blackened steaks. I have not even got the meat dried out before my little girl was jumping on me. I swear she would eat a whole deer!
I might need a "dog" deer next year! :-)

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2011, 07:57 AM
youll laugh pal but one of the guys i do crop damage with cans venison for dog food. He doesnt have much money and the deer are free and his dog is little and he puts up enough to feed his dog all year. I have the same problem with jerky. my kids and grandkids love it and i just cant keep it. Yesterday my daughter came over and i gave her the last of it. Her kids would rather have jerky then candy. Seems every year i give away to many deer and kick myself in the but. I still have lots of backstrap but the jerky and sausage go way to fast. Since this fall ive allready gone through about a 100lbs of summer sausage and about the same amount made into jerky.

44man
01-10-2011, 11:22 AM
youll laugh pal but one of the guys i do crop damage with cans venison for dog food. He doesnt have much money and the deer are free and his dog is little and he puts up enough to feed his dog all year. I have the same problem with jerky. my kids and grandkids love it and i just cant keep it. Yesterday my daughter came over and i gave her the last of it. Her kids would rather have jerky then candy. Seems every year i give away to many deer and kick myself in the but. I still have lots of backstrap but the jerky and sausage go way to fast. Since this fall ive allready gone through about a 100lbs of summer sausage and about the same amount made into jerky.
Wonderful, nothing better for the dog. My problem is the wife. We bought a second freezer and she filled it up too. There is stuff in them we will never eat. She does the same when cooking, makes more then we can eat for 4 days until we are sick of it. She never buys one pork loin, always two. Just how much can anyone eat?
It is why I make dried venison for my dogs, that leaves just enough steak for a meal.
Here is my deer hound.

white eagle
01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
my dog (lab) loves venison
cant even cut up any in the house he is all over me
so he gets the stuff that we don't use

44man
01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
my dog (lab) loves venison
cant even cut up any in the house he is all over me
so he gets the stuff that we don't use
I have 3 dogs in the garage and I can hang and butcher a deer without them touching it. They will eat scraps from the floor.
The small dogs do better with dried meat, other can give them the poops. Big dogs can handle anything.
Dogs just love deer meat.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2011, 07:24 AM
cant feed it to my lab. He has alergys and raw deer meat and especailly deer hair make him break out badly in a rash. He can handle small ammounts of cooked or dryed venison but thats about it.

Whitworth
01-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Forget the dogs, when's the barbeque for the humans (or rather sub-humans)??!!:mrgreen:

7br
01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I always wanted a grinder better then the one on our mixer. Cabela's has them on sale so I ordered the 3/4 horse grinder.

Darn it, I thought you were going to say " So I started shootin em twice"

44man
01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Darn it, I thought you were going to say " So I started shootin em twice"
Now you know why I like all of you! :mrgreen:

pmeisel
01-17-2011, 11:14 AM
44man, that's a cute little dog.