01-04-2011, 10:32 PM
ok so im getting some shotgun barrels that have some pitting
in them

now what can i use to get rid of the pits

a barrel hone

these barrels are for making muzzleloaders so i dont want pits in them

Frank46
01-04-2011, 11:42 PM
For fine pitting I mount a 12 guage bore brush on a long rod with one end on a variable speed drill. Wrap the brush as tight with some 4/0 steel wool and give it a good shot of any good penetrating oil. Start out slow and make complete passes. once in awhile stop and clean the bbl. then try to see where the pits are and when making passes stay a little longer in the affected area. probably won't remove all the pitting but will make the bore a lot smoother. Don't trash the old brush. Next time you use it, just add more steel wool. Frank

Molly
01-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Use 400 grit wet-or-dry paper on a wooden dowel that is just a slip fit in the bore. Give it a few strokes full length, then unwrap the 400 grit and put a layer of paper on the dowel to a slightly snug fit in the barrel, and add the 400 grit again. Then give it some more full length strokes. Repeat as necessary, replacing the 400 grit as needed. If badly pitted, start with 320 grit. Use a little Kerosene as a cutting fluid.

If your arm gets tired because the pits are REALLY bad, drill the end of the dowel that you've been holding and run a long wood screw in until you have about an inch left over. Cut the threaded end of the screw off and chuck it up in a hand drill. Keep it moving up and down the barrel, or you will get wide spots. You can make a jug choke at the muzzle this way if you want one.

akajun
01-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm fighting this battle right now with a win 97. Tired honing, tried mandrells with abrasive paper, tried electrolysis. All helped, but still left the bore in rough shape.
I am now in the process of back boring the barrell. Which is working, but expensive.

camerl2009
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
well i dont know how bad the pits are yet

i cant find any thing to help

a barrel hone would be nice but cant find one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_x3hQHtdtI

all i can get is these things http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=647/Product/SHOTGUN_BARREL_POLISHING_FLEX_HONE_reg_

Molly
01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
...a barrel hone would be nice but cant find one

Go down to your local autoparts store and buy a brake cylinder hone. Works fine.