PDA

View Full Version : new press

Caster Blaster
01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm thinking about stepping up to a turret press, the rcbs model to be exact, I can't afford a really good progressive like the hornady LNL, and I kinda want to step up the quality of some of my reloading gear, anyone have any experience with it good/bad/indifferent? I also want to get either the rcbs powder measure or the Lee auto disk, I do like Lee, the price can't be beat, and I wouldn't have to buy anything else to make it work, I have only Lee dies including the powder-thru expander for 45acp, what I'm looking to load a lot of but I've heard problems about some chain breaking or something. I've read a bunch of the product reviews on midways site, but I trust your opinions more, thanks

1hole
01-04-2011, 11:06 PM
IF you want to "move up" to an iron turret press for faster reloading only the Lee Clasisic Turret with the auto-indexing heads can accomplish that.

The ONLY reason for a chain activated press mechanism breaking is poor adjustment and that's a user failure, not the press.

The Lee disc powder measure is fine but can be a little agravating to some folks due to the difficulty of obtaining exactly the charge they want. I ALWAYS prefer something fully adjustable so I can be fully in control of what I'm doing.

skeet1
01-04-2011, 11:22 PM
1hole is right, the Lee Classic Turret is a great press. I love mine and the price is a lot less than an RCBS. I use the Auto Disk measure and it works very well if you follow the directions. I also bought the double disk kit and I think it helps fine tune the load you want to throw.

Skeet1

onondaga
01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Awesome continuously adjustable powder charge bar for the Auto Disk for pistol loads.Adjusts from .28 to 1.6 cc.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=150005

Silly cheap and works great.

Gary

AZ-Stew
01-06-2011, 08:49 PM
If you have any thoughts of eventually owning a true progressive, you might want to look at the Dillon BL-550 Basic Loader. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader. It's a few $$ more expensive than either the RCBS or Redding turret, but it is a path to progressive, which the others are not.

It's essentially a stripped-down RL-550 progressive. The additional parts required to make it a full-fleged RL-550 can be purchased later.

Personally, if I was going to spring for a big cast iron turret press, I'd spend the extra $$ go for the Redding. But that's just me.

Regards,

Stew

Caster Blaster
01-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Well, they had the Lee auto indexing press at Bass Pro for $114, including the auto disk and (now I have an extra) beam scale. you guys are right, I had it set up and and made the first 100 45acp rounds in about 1-1/2 hours. the auto disk is fantastic, I can't believe I waited this long. For the high volume loads like this and my .223 it's perfect. Thanks for the input.

garym1a2
01-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I like the Lee classic cast turrent press, I keep a turrent for each caliber and the quick changes are hard to beat. Plus I can load 45acp at 150 to 180 per hour.