PDA

View Full Version : iLee spru plate screw

Butch B
01-04-2011, 09:56 PM
My 14 year old great nephew was helping me cast and I let him run the mold. I was smelting WW and keeping close watch on him. The spru plate bolt kept backing off so I gave him a 1/4 in socket driver and told him to keep it snugged up. Of course after about 750 bullets he twisted it off. I should have known better. I am sure it is not the first time it has happened. Can someone tell me how to replace it or should I just call Lee and have them send me one? I drilled the broken stub and backed it out with an ezout. It is a 6 gang mold and it looks to me like the bushing at the top is part of the screw. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks BB

Jeff H
01-04-2011, 11:09 PM
I would getone from LEE but whatever screw you use, you can prevent it from backing out and make it stay right where it opens well but still gives you a flat base by adding a set screw. D/T through the end (outside, facing you as you are holding the handles) of the mold and insert a small set screw. Use vegetable shortening on the drill and tap for lube and the cut surfaces will gleam. Helps a lot on the smaller holes where just a little galling eats up a lot of those small threads.

I don't remember what size I use (maybe 8-40, whatever size you have to use when you re-D/T scope base holes someone has buggered) but will be adding these to the alignment pins on my RDO 359190 because they back out as soon as the mold heats up to a good casting temp.

There may be an easier way, but this is sure and simple for me.

geargnasher
01-04-2011, 11:17 PM
{edit} JeffH covered this while I was typing!)

Twenty bucks buys you a new mould, probably less trouble in the long run. Lee is cheap on small parts but expensive on shipping.

There are two styles of Lee screws, it seems they improved the design quite a bit with a shoulder bolt, not sure which design you have. A tip is to drill and tap for a setscrew like Lyman and RCBS use in their iron moulds, it will allow you to keep the sprue plate pivot screw snug at whatever depth you set it. Use a small piece of lead shot or tiny brass ball to keep from damaging the pivot screw threads.

Gear