PDA

View Full Version : Must be an easy way?

joecool911
01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
How to break the notched bars of lead? I've been cutting a line across the back and then hitting with a hammer, but its not easy.

kelbro
01-04-2011, 11:06 PM
I don't fill them up all the way.

leadman
01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
If you are talking about the larger pigs that are hooked together use a recepricating saw with the fine blade for plywood.

lwknight
01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
An axe? Maybe.

fryboy
01-05-2011, 12:05 AM
the softer ( ie; more pure ) the lead the harder it will be , i have some dead soft lead ( or so marked ) that has a 1/2" left on the notch .. even putting a big crescent or pipe wrench on the end and the other end in a vise requires quite a bit of flexing back and forth , the more antimony in the alloy the easier it gets ( ie; lino in newspaper half rolls smash wonderfully with but a lil love tap from a sledge ) the sawzall approach works as does a metal bandsaw tho the lead tends to clog up the teeth , the hotter you let the blade get the worse it is to clean out of the teeth as well , up until the too hot point a wire brush works well

DukeInFlorida
01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Sign up for the Arnold Swartzenagger School of Body Building and just rip the buggers apart!

But then again, you will develop a weird accent.

I don't fill the molds as much.

Cupcake tins work great!! Mini muffin pans work great also...

old turtle
01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Duke, Good one. My smile for the day.

fecmech
01-05-2011, 01:32 PM
If you are talking the Lyman or Lee molds with WW metal I just smack them on the edge of my vise with my hand at the joint between the 2 bars, they break easily. Pure lead would not work as well as it just bends, you might have to work it back and forth a time or two.

Sully
01-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Years ago when I reloaded using lots of lead...I used a hand hachet to chop the large blocks apart

mroliver77
01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I juse a tired old B&D 7-1/4" CIRCULAR SAW WITH A WORN CARBIDE BLADE. It works great!
Jay

runfiverun
01-06-2011, 04:52 AM
porta band works nice too.
i used to get bars of tin cheap [sigh]
and just cut it with the porta band, i guess a regular band saw with the fine tooth blade would cut lead too.
don't get it hot or you'll break the blade.
if it's from a mold like was mentioned above don't fill it up that much.
i have beat them apart with a hammer before too.
after buying smelted stuff at the scrap yard.

a.squibload
01-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Somebody here said use a limb lopper to cut up lead, tried that works great on plumbers pipe,
might work for ingots.
Someone else said use a circular saw backwards for lead so it won't load up,
I haven't tried that.

Or just bite off a hunk and spit it into the pot...