PDA

View Full Version : How to remove paint?

thehouseproduct
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I bought a Herter's Super model 3 and 2 Lachmiller C Presses with shell holders, adapters, and 2 sets of Lachmiller 12G shotgun dies for $30. Good buy. The Lachmiller presses are a little rusty and need refinishing. Does anyone have any inside tips for removing the old paint without access to a sandblaster?

Tom R
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I would check with auto shops they will blast it for you for next to nothing.
Check break and clutch shops.
machine shops"will cost more"
concrete casting shops.
auto parts stores.
I am telling you it is worth it to so it right. I just painted one of my bair presses green hammer-tone. I added a ball handle and it looks good.
I would blast it for you for free if you live anywhere near lincoln ne.

http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html This is a cheap option. I use black magic coal slag for blasting press's it is 10 bucks a bag at Menards.

Tom R
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
concrete casting shops.
auto parts stores.
I am telling you it is worth it to do it right. I just painted one of my bair presses green hammer-tone. I added a ball handle and it looks good.
I would blast it for you for free if you live anywhere near Lincoln Ne.

http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html This is a cheap option. I use black magic coal slag for blasting press's it is 10 bucks a bag at Menards.

1hole
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
A stiff wire wheel on a side grinder or even in an electric drill will remove the rust off the bare metal. Lightly sand but leave the sound paint as it is and just red primer the whole thing before applying the top color.

Pressman
01-04-2011, 08:47 PM
The paint on the Lachmiller and Herter's is hard as iron, meaning really tough to remove without blasting or resorting to powerfull chemicals and all the mess their use entails.

Ken

Kevin Rohrer
01-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Suggestion: Field strip it, degrease and wash it, then see how much rust you have. Like Pressman says (he's the resident expert on Herter's stuff), that paint was put on to be permanent.

What little rust you have can be removed using a Scotchbrite pad soaked in Breakfree or other penetrating oil. If you must paint the press, prime over the paint and repaint using something like Rustoleum's Hammered Finish.

cheese1566
01-05-2011, 12:24 AM
An extra tip for stripping and painting presses: A 12 gauge shotgun shell hull is just the right size to fit the 7/8" female threads where the dies screw in. Sometimes you may need to trim the length of the hull, but it will protect the threads while sandblasting and keep paint overspray from getting into the threads. just be sure to clear out any grit before painting.

cajun shooter
01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot or any paint store and purchase a qt can of MEK. That is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. It will remove all paints and finishes. Be very careful that you don't put it on anything that you don't want to refinish. Buy some cheap brushes to spread it on. They have all the safety rules on the can. Wear Safety glasses by all means. It will strip most paints in seconds. If you can find a container that you can use to soak the parts in. Try to cover the bucket as MEK will evaporate really fast if left exposed.

timkelley
01-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Please be very cafeful with MEK, it can absorb into your body thru your skin. I once was using some as a thinner with some two part epoxy type paint and suddenly realized I was drunk as an owl, told the boss and he was drunk too. We stopped that job and never used that junk again.

cajun shooter
01-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I used MEK for years with no ill effects. It is used for most two part epoxies. If you take the proper steps it can be used very safely. It sounds as if you were in a closed area with no circulation.

thehouseproduct
01-18-2011, 01:09 PM
The paint on the Lachmiller and Herter's is hard as iron, meaning really tough to remove without blasting or resorting to powerfull chemicals and all the mess their use entails.

Ken
No kidding. I tried stripper and a stiff wire brush and only got myself tired. I located a friend with a blasting cabinet.

Skipper488
01-18-2011, 04:11 PM
I saw a video where a guy used his 12Gauge shotgun to bead blast paint off a piece of plate steel. LOL

rugerdude
01-18-2011, 08:20 PM
concrete casting shops.
auto parts stores.

Another place to try is your local monument company. Around here they will blast small stuff for next to nothing, especially if you arrange to bring it by on a day they are blasting and don't have a heavy workload.

DCM
01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I bought a Herter's Super model 3 and 2 Lachmiller C Presses with shell holders, adapters, and 2 sets of Lachmiller 12G shotgun dies for $30. Good buy. The Lachmiller presses are a little rusty and need refinishing. Does anyone have any inside tips for removing the old paint without access to a sandblaster?

Take it outdoors, put on safety eyewear and apply a good coat of acetone to it. Then use a wire brush. Acetone will Quickly attack most finishes.